Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Bjohnson63
  • 1 Post By lewisipso
  • 1 Post By ~Future~Cop~
  • 1 Post By bayern
  • 1 Post By pgg

Thread: ~~This is a question for any police officer!~~ I want Wisconsin Police Officer's input to please

~~This is a question for any police officer!~~ I want Wisconsin Police Officer's input to please

I am 17yrs old I am a senior at a Wisconsin High School. I want to become a patrol officer and a prison or jail gaurd! My plans are now to finish high school then go to Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) and do their 2 year program where when I graduate I can go straight in to a patrol position (this college offers the police acdamey as part of the program so I won't have to go anywhere else for that). Many woman who go to this school get excepted into a department before they even finish the schooling. Is this a good plan? Should I go to a 4year college instead? Should I join some branch of the military and be a police officer there for a while then go to a department?

Thanks in advance for you input!!!!

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I work in a jurisdiction not far from FVTC... If you want to go on patrol, expect to work part time for a couple years. Being female, it does help, and may help get you hired full time earlier. Getting into a jailor or prison position may be slightly easier with a two year degree.

Also, Wisconsin has a sponsorship program, where a local department will sponsor you (pay for) your police academy training. Most expect you to work for them for a while part-time afterward but they also understand that you will take the first full time slot you get. Two years are fine, and FVTC is a good school for that, but some departments require a 4 year degree. Smaller jurisdictions tend to not care as much. I would suggest doing some ride-alongs with various departments to get a good feel for the job. Also, this could help open some doors for possible jobs. Just make sure you come properly dresses, and conduct yourself properly. Nothing worse than a rider who shows up in torn jeans and a shirt he/she picked off the floor, then talks about all the immature and stupid stuff they are involved in. You have to think of a ride along as a learning experience AND a job interview. Because if you apply for that department or neighboring departments they are going to ask that officer you rode with about you.
    Jks9199 and ~Future~Cop~ like this.

Thanks! I do go to my ride alongs properly dressed! Are there any questions you think I should ask when I ride for 8hrs with the Grand Chute Poice Department? I have done ride alongs with Winneconne, Neenah, and Appleton. I am hoping to do a ride along in Waupun and Oshkosh. How would I go about getting a department to do the sponsorship program? Will that pay just for the police academy training or will it pay for my 2 years at the FVTC? Because with the 2 year police program at the tech the Police academy is included into the tuition price. With the program at FVTC can I use that schooling to go into a prison or jail guard position?
    What makes someone a hero? According to the dictionary a hero is someone, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities. In the dictionary heros are also known as the chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities. A hero is someone who walks into your life as it is crumbling to pieces and is there for you when it seems like the rest of the world is walking out.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not from Wisconsin but I'll give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Future~Cop~ View Post
    My plans are now to finish high school then go to Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) and do their 2 year program where when I graduate I can go straight in to a patrol position (this college offers the police acdamey as part of the program so I won't have to go anywhere else for that). Many woman who go to this school get excepted into a department before they even finish the schooling. Is this a good plan? Any plan that works is a good plan. Just the fact that you are formulating a plan puts you ahead of the pack. Work a plan or a plan is going to work you.
    I personally like the sound of this one. However, it does depend on what the departments in your area require. If other individuals have received employment going this route then it should work for you.

Should I go to a 4year college instead? Again, this is dependant on what you are ultimately trying to accomplish and what is required from departments in your area. There is no such thing as to much education in my opinion.
    Should I join some branch of the military and be a police officer there for a while then go to a department? It is not necessary for what you are trying to do but military service is not viewed lightly by most departments. Military service also gives you a good deal of life experience and discipline.

Thanks in advance for you input!!!!
    These views are just my opinion and I hope they help.
    ~Future~Cop~ likes this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Almost the same post as from Heather.

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Almost the same post as from Heather.
    ??? are you talking about the post on the facebook page?
    What makes someone a hero? According to the dictionary a hero is someone, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities. In the dictionary heros are also known as the chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities. A hero is someone who walks into your life as it is crumbling to pieces and is there for you when it seems like the rest of the world is walking out.

Verified LEO
    Nope Seems that there was a post from "Heather" as a seperate post. or my eyeballs are not working.

It was posted as a new comer from 'wisc. or... forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Nope Seems that there was a post from "Heather" as a seperate post. or my eyeballs are not working.

It was posted as a new comer from 'wisc. or... forget about it.
    I was going to say my name is Heather and I am from wisconsin and I posted this question on the facebook page and the owner of the facebook page told me to come post it on here so that is what I did lol....
    bayern likes this.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In Wisconsin, you're going to need a minimum of 60 credits from either a college or a tech. school to get a job as a cop. The main benefit of schools like FVTC is that you'll be certified when you finish the 2-year program and if you choose to go on to a 4-year-school, most of your credits will transfer. To get a job in corrections, at the state level, you need to go through the hiring process and then they send you to an 8 week academy. For county jail positions, you can get hired and sent to school as a jailer after you're hired. I'd definately recommend FVTC, (I went there.) It is a good school with good instructors. Going on ride-alongs is a good idea.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The military is a great start and can get you money for your education.

I'll add to keep an open mind about where to work. There are lots of departments in other states that will hire you and pay you and send you to training and employ you full time.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The military is a great start and can get you money for your education.

I'll add to keep an open mind about where to work. There are lots of departments in other states that will hire you and pay you and send you to training and employ you full time.
    And many of them will try to coordinate as much as possible in each visit. For example, you might do a written test, physical ability test, interview panel, and even a preliminary background interview in one trip. Another might combine the polygraph and medical/psych exams. And, along with other states -- don't forget federal if you want to go the corrections route, especially.

You've got a plan, and as others have said, it's not bad or unrealistic. Still -- don't be afraid to reassess it as you go. Do ride alongs. Make a chance to really talk with some jail deputies. Get an honest view of the jobs. It would really suck to spend a year or two prepping only to discover you really don't want to do that job.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Future~Cop~ View Post
    I was going to say my name is Heather and I am from wisconsin and I posted this question on the facebook page and the owner of the facebook page told me to come post it on here so that is what I did lol....
    No problem, just got confused with the douyble posting. Anywho, welcome and hope you reach your goals.
    ~Future~Cop~ likes this.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've taken a couple courses through FVTC. They aren't a bad place. Like others have said, you have a goal and a plan. You are a step ahead of alot of other people out there.
    ~Future~Cop~ likes this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information