Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Open carry during a ride along.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Leaving you behind?
    Yep
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Leaving you behind?
    Another good example of how we put the safety of others ahead of our own routinely. I would rather they get themselves to safety than get hurt because I was overwhelmed.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Another good example of how we put the safety of others ahead of our own routinely. I would rather they get themselves to safety than get hurt because I was overwhelmed.
    I guess that's why they call you sheepdogs.

Cornfed1100 is offline Officer First Class
    I wouldn't want joe public grabbing a fire hose at a fire scene. I see your points. Great thread!

Tapatalk requires no training for things like spelling, accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness or manners.
    Captain America likes this.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Any good you can accomplish with an openly carried firearm, you could accomplish with a concealed firearm.

I'll die to support your right to carry openly, it doesn't mean I think it's smart.

The end.
    rob84 likes this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Most LEO open carry every day. I Think citizens should OC daily too. It's a shame it's such taboo.

It's also a shame so many people defend the constitution but deny our gun rights across the board. Here's some restricted places that really eat at me;
    Taking business deposits to a bank. No Gun.
    Hmmm, I have loads of cash. My safety is protected by an unarmed minimum wage security guy that can't touch his toes
    Going to the police station. No Gun
    Public place with hundreds of guns at the ready, just not mine.
    I have a job. NO guns allowed
    Private property laws allow the owner his way or the highway. They should not restrict having it in my car. My ideas end outside my car. My employer can't protect me traveling to work.
    Post office, No Guns.
    WTF, who robs a post office?
    Schools get attacked often, NO guns!
    I think teachers should be trained and armed to protect my kids.
    Colleges are notorious for crime, no guns. If you can join the military you should be able to buy a gun and defend your self. Do we think college kids should continue being victims? Gun free zones make for free criminal zones.

These drive me nuts. These places should let the public defend themselves. We must stop assuming every one with a gun has negative motives. We must stop infringing on gun rights. The constitution is the CCW permit. We should prosecute any restriction of firearms policy. I'm sick of the "we disarm you for your own safety crap". I decide my safety.
    Disarm the mental and criminal. That's the only time for disarming.

OK, I feel better. Time to strap on my Colt revolvers and spurs. I'm headed to Wal Mart and McDonald's. I must record it incase I get some You Tube video.

Tapatalk requires no training for things like spelling, accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness or manners.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed1100 View Post
    Time to strap on my Colt revolvers and spurs. I'm headed to Wal Mart and McDonald's. I must record it incase I get some You Tube video.

If that's all you are wearing we may not want to see the video.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    If that's all you are wearing we may not want to see the video.
    That video wouldn't make it to you tube! LOL!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Most LEO open carry every day. I Think citizens should OC daily too. It's a shame it's such taboo. .
    I carry at work, in uniform, with body armor, other weapons for fighting, and a level 3 retention holster. Cops with all the same still get disarmed and shot with their own weapons. You will never catch me open carrying otherwise. I'm always armed but nobody else will know. It's the most tactically stupid act I can think of with a gun. But it's a right I'll never interfere with.

The rest of your post gets no argument from me.
    121Traffic, rob84 and pgg like this.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Most LEO open carry every day. I Think citizens should OC daily too. It's a shame it's such taboo.
    You don't get to put words in my mouth.

I didn't say it was taboo, I said it was stupid.

When I openly carry "every day" it's in uniform, wearing body armor, and with the expectation that I act. You are not encumbered by such things, and in fact have more rights than I do when it comes to the use of lethal force.
    121Traffic and pgg like this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO

It's also a shame so many people defend the constitution but deny our gun rights across the board. Here's some restricted places that really eat at me;
    Taking business deposits to a bank. No Gun.
    Hmmm, I have loads of cash. My safety is protected by an unarmed minimum wage security guy that can't touch his toes
    Going to the police station. No Gun
    Public place with hundreds of guns at the ready, just not mine.
    I have a job. NO guns allowed
    Private property laws allow the owner his way or the highway. They should not restrict having it in my car. My ideas end outside my car. My employer can't protect me traveling to work.
    Post office, No Guns.
    WTF, who robs a post office?
    Schools get attacked often, NO guns!
    I think teachers should be trained and armed to protect my kids.
    Colleges are notorious for crime, no guns. If you can join the military you should be able to buy a gun and defend your self. Do we think college kids should continue being victims? Gun free zones make for free criminal zones.

These drive me nuts. These places should let the public defend themselves. We must stop assuming every one with a gun has negative motives. We must stop infringing on gun rights. The constitution is the CCW permit. We should prosecute any restriction of firearms policy. I'm sick of the "we disarm you for your own safety crap". I decide my safety.
    Disarm the mental and criminal. That's the only time for disarming.

OK, I feel better. Time to strap on my Colt revolvers and spurs. I'm headed to Wal Mart and McDonald's. I must record it incase I get some You Tube video.

I agree with most of those with the exceptions of any business/private property. Including your job and the parking lot.

To me, my rights on my own property (or any property owner's on their property) are paramount to your constitutional rights on my property. Meaning if it's my house, my yard, or my business, it's my rules. You don't like them, find a new friend/job.

If a privately owned bank does not want guns in their buildings, I will respect that. But I will not do business with them. If my employer does not want guns in their buildings or on their parking lots, I will respect that, but I will not work for them. If my friends don't want guns in their houses or on their lawn, I will respect that, but will decline any invite to their house.

And I'm with the others, open carry should only be done when concealed carry can't.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    civilian- Hell No. A trained, certified LEO, I actually welcome it as long as he carries concealed. It's better to have two bullets down range than just one when shit hits the fan. The LEO will know what needs to be done, and act accordingly when he/she needs to.

"Going to the police station. No Gun"- I disagree with this. Why would you need to go to a Police Station armed when there are as you put it "Hundreds of guns at the ready", but also carried by trained professionals ready to protect you already? I would think your pretty safe at a Police Station and if something were to happen there, your assistance or firearm would not only not be needed, but create confusion by responding Officers and possibly put you in danger. No badge, no uniform, no gun at a Police Station.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Police don't walk beside me protecting me. Police come slowly after being called. I am responsible for me.
    Recently I was entering a police station, I just went through the metal detectors. This homeless looking guy came screaming in the front door saying he wanted to see the fukin chief. He was acting high and agitated. He said his PO was accusing him of some BS. He was yelling at the security guards. No police ran to my defense or the defense of the security guards. I quickly made my unarmed, defenseless way to the elevators. I passed a pair of officers talking that hadn't even noticed the enraged guy. They were just around the corner and out of earshot.
    When seconds count a cop is minutes away even in a police station.
    Ifs can be used many ways. But IF this was an active shooter at the front door the unarmed, non police security at the door would not have helped me as much as my .45
    Just saying I deserve my rights. Even at a police station.

Even if I couldn't think of a reason to be armed at a police station, what reasons are there for me to be stripped of my 2a? Being a civilian means I get to keep my rights that's not a reason to lose them.

, but also carried by trained professionals ready to protect you

but create confusion by responding Officers and possibly put you in danger. No badge, no uniform, no gun at a Police Station.[/QUOTE]

Funny how the trained professionals proceeded my having a gun confuses officers.

I have confidence and trust the officers training to identify who is who in a gun fight. Isn't that part of the training?

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    , but also carried by trained professionals ready to protect you

but create confusion by responding Officers and possibly put you in danger. No badge, no uniform, no gun at a Police Station.

Funny how the trained professionals proceeded my having a gun confuses officers.

I have confidence and trust the officers training to identify who is who in a gun fight. Isn't that part of the training?

Tapatalk requires no training for things like spelling, accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness or manners.[/QUOTE]

We arrive to a reported shooting or hear a shooting and see YOU with your gun in your hand, not identified by uniform or badge, yeah...my focus is now on you regardless of your good intentions. Target has been identified until convinced otherwise. If you haven't taken out the shooter and he's still active, I've taken critical focus off of my true target to a distraction. Could get me or you killed. Explain to me how I identify you as a good guy in that scenario if I don't already know you.

Plain clothes officers, even when waving badges or screaming out to ID themselves to responding cops have been shot.
    rob84 likes this.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Police come slowly after being called.
    After years of risking my life driving my ass off to emergencies this is actually quite insulting. That includes triple digit speeds on snow and ice covered roads here all winter. I've never responded slowly to an emergency.

If you live 30 minutes out of town it'll take me some time to get there (a good reason to be able to protect yourself) but I sure as shit ain't doing it slowly. Yeah I'm feeling a big f you on this comment.

The reason people can't carry in a police station is because we aren't issued ESP and we can't tell who the bad guys are by looking at them. Carrying a gun into the station then becomes a helpful clue we can react to. If everyone can do it, that makes it harder to tell. Can't carry in court either. Hell, even cops get disarmed in some courts. If you bring a gun to us you might get hurt. It's for your protection. How many off duty or plain clothes cops get shot every year because they have a gun in a melee? We can't, and shouldn't, prevent you from carrying when you are walking down the street but don't walk into our house armed. That's inviting confrontation.

I guarantee there are more constitutionalists and gun rights supporters in the police station than there are in city hall and congress.
    121Traffic, Jks9199 and rob84 like this.

[QUOTE=Xiphos;597080]After years of risking my life driving my ass off to emergencies this is actually quite insulting. That includes triple digit speeds on snow and ice covered roads here all winter. I've never responded slowly to an emergency.

If you live 30 minutes out of town it'll take me some time to get there (a good reason to be able to protect yourself) but I sure as shit ain't doing it slowly. Yeah I'm feeling a big f you on this comment.

10-4 I read you loud and clear. Let me clarify "slowly". I'd hate to think I responded to a fire slowly. That's not what I meant.
    Cops are Minutes away when seconds count.
    How long did this scene last? 45 seconds? No Leo arrived in time to help. this link is of the 71 year old CCW carrier that shot two bad guys easily identified by my untrained eye.

Where I live it's a safe bet 10 minutes before LEO shows up. Its not due to slow meandering officers. It's just logistics.

I don't think my safety should ever be depended on some one else's actions.

@pudge, please refer to the training previous poster mentioned. This training makes LEO superior to civilians. My un trained eye could pick out the hoodies VS the old guy in shorts shooting. It may not always be so clear and I get that. Besides, you'd never shoot a Sasquatch so I'm safe.

We need to squash the idea that any body but a LEO is a hazard with a gun.
    Why can't we see the good in people and trust their judgments. Why is the knee jerk reaction to disarm us for our own good?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Why can't we see the good in people and trust their judgments. Why is the knee jerk reaction to disarm us for our own good?
    Just curious, how many murder attempts have you survived? How many co-workers were murdered just because they came to work? These experiences cause a healthy dose of paranoia and caution.

I rarely deal with "good" people when I'm working. What I have learned however is that I can't tell from looking at people whether they intend to murder me. And my ESP is broken so I rely on observations like someone being armed to clue me in on what their intention might be. You want to live life armed that's great. It's your right. But if you act out in a way I have to pay attention to you (reasonable suspicion you are involved with crime) or you put yourself in my world I'm disarming you because I don't have ESP. Bringing a gun into my working sphere is going to attract my attention and be very dangerous for you. So don't walk into a police station armed. Run around armed all you want and stay off the cops' radar. It's easy, I manage it all the time off duty.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    @pudge, please refer to the training previous poster mentioned. This training makes LEO superior to civilians. My un trained eye could pick out the hoodies VS the old guy in shorts shooting. It may not always be so clear and I get that. Besides, you'd never shoot a Sasquatch so I'm safe.

Sure, not a problem. I'll simply draw down on anyone with a gun and a hoodie. That's not going to land me in some lawsuit for profiling. I never wear a coat in the winter....my hoodies are usually concealing my gun. Even me, being a LEO, isn't immune to that misidentification.

I was at an Indians game tonight. Had a mass casualty incident broken out, and had I responded with force, would I automatically assume that the responding Cleveland cops would know I'm a good guy? Nope. I'm proning out and kissing concrete just like anyone else ordered to. Difference is, I'm screaming I'm a cop WHILE doing it, and telling them where to get my creds, because I'm not reaching for them.
    Jks9199, Five-0 and Xiphos like this.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information