Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Open carry during a ride along.

Cornfed1100 is offline Officer First Class

Open carry during a ride along.

Would you allow a ride along to open carry. How would it effect your day?

In Ohio we are restricted from carrying in police stations and court houses. There is no restriction I am aware of as a passenger. (up front of course)

Tapatalk requires no training for things like spelling, accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness or manners.

stillamarine is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Against dept policy for a ride along to be armed.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed1100 View Post

In Ohio we are restricted from carrying in police stations and court houses. There is no restriction I am aware of as a passenger. (up front of course)
    There are a select few people I would allow to carry concealed, but the chances for confusion are far too great for you to be carrying openly and being present in a patrol car.
    berserk and code3bg like this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Hell No!
    CTR man and creolecop like this.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed1100 View Post

Tapatalk requires no training for things like spelling, accuracy, clarity, cohesiveness or manners.
    No. Not only is it against the rules, but it's too easy for too much confusion. Got a non-cop, in a cop car, going to cop calls, with a gun... That's just a recipe for confusion.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

stillamarine is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I did a ride along in Gainesville a couple years back. Paperwork said no gun no exceptions. So when I showed up I locked it in my trunk. When I met the officer I was riding with he asked where my gun was. I referenced the paperwork and he said screw that. Cleared it with his boss and I put my gun back on. I was already wearing my vest.

That's the only situation I could see a ride along carrying.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Against policy here for anyone not already a cop somewhere else to carry a gun on a ride along
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would have to personally know the person, their capabilities and training. Perhaps an out of town visiting police officer or a retired police officer. Proof of training would be paramount. Outside of that...Hell no.
    CTR man and creolecop like this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's against policy. As an officer looking to lateral to agencies I went on many ride alongs. Almost all the departments prohibited even me from carrying. Including a department from in the state where I was certified and working already! That didn't stop some cops from letting me stay armed but it was technically a violation.

I have had cops ride with me. I told them what the policy was but followed with, "I'm not searching you." Don't ask, don't tell. Outside a cop I wouldn't allow a gun on a ride along with me.

I have showed civilians how to get to the shotgun in case they needed it but my instruction was only if they were cornered in the car. Otherwise run your ass off and don't stop. There is no duty for a civilian to stand his ground or get involved in a bad situation they may need a gun for. A trained cop will react with his training, even if he's unarmed. Which is why I let them stay armed with me.
    Jenna likes this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Hell No!
    OK, that was clear! 10-4.

LOL

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Open carry? Nope. The right person concealed? I'm not searching them.
    code3bg likes this.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

creolecop is offline Really? and I'm suppose to believe that??
    Verified LEO
    Absolutely not...It's bad enough when shit goes bad I'm bringing a gun in the fight, I don't need to worry about an extra gun on the scene. There are a host of reasons I'd say no, if you are worried about what can happen then you don't ride.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I wouldn't allow anyone other than another cop to carry if they're riding with me.
    Reca, Wolven and berserk like this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    Civilians - no, not to mention against policy

Other cops - I don't mind, but for CYA, don't let me see it
    "That's how we roll"

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We don't have a policy against it, but absolutely not. I have several friends with CCW and I won't allow them, despite the fact that I know they're sound and safe permit holders and gun handlers.

My reasoning is because of confusion. At work I have backup in minutes, basically anywhere within the city. I don't want someone out of uniform and possibly unrecognizable to my co-workers with a gun on their hip. If my co workers show up and my rider is armed and standing behind me or behind my squad or a tree or something, things could get ugly. Additionally, if I'm involved in a deadly force encounter and my rider feels the need to get involved before, during, or after the cavalry arrives, the confusion may turn deadly for the rider.

Open carry or concealed, not in my squad.
    Jenna likes this.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Very good answers. I do like being the devils advocate. Let me challenge the unanimous no vote.
    Officers have had training and Mr ride along has not. Lets assume MR Ridealong is jumping out when the ifficer is no longer in control of the scene. Lets assume MR Ridealong isnt the open carrying jack wagon that pulls a gun in the middle of a common traffic stop. If Mr ride along jumps out and draws a weapon to help the officer, there are now multiple guns on scene. Let's hope at least 2 of the three guns are aimed at bad guy. If additional LEO arrives their training must certainly be used to determine good guy from bad. At the minimum, Mr ride along would most certainly cooperate with voice commands from additional LEO. I doubt the Calvary would arrive guns blazing. Putting every one on scene at risk. (since the fire dept. arrives first in my town, this would put the firemen at risk. LOL)
    Mr ride along would be no different than a person walking down the side walk assisting an officer. MR Sidewalk pulls his gun to help a struggling officer. Does it matter he wasn't riding?
    Now let's take the weapon out of the equation. If Mr Ride along saw the officer fighting I would expect MR Ridealong to get out and assist the officer. This would also make MR. Ridealong a target when back up LEO arrives. I'd still have faith the arriving officers training could separate good guy from bad guy.

Good guys with guns are always a good idea. Due to the superior training of LEO, I think any body on scene cooperating or helping would be easy to identify.

Otherwise run your ass off and don't stop.

LOL, that sounds like Home Land Security training!

Captain America likes this.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Making assumptions is the problem.

I wouldn't want my rider getting out to help on a fight unless I was severely losing. You also assume that the backup officers would know good guy from bad. Lets say they can't readily tell due to their view and perspective of the scene, and that from their angle, it looks as though the second guy with the gun is actually pointing it at me. I also would never assume that my rider would know exactly what to do when the calvary arrives, and wouldn't, in the stress of the moment, turn towards the arriving officers, accidently pointing a gun at them.

I also can't assume that the calvary wouldn't come in guns blazing, as some situations certainly warrant that.

Basically, way too many things to worry about, in addition to the dangerous situation I'd be dealing with. Way too much liability on my part, even though release forms are signed.

Therefore the standard instructions are: here's the shotgun release button. Only use it if I have been shot and am out of the fight, and you believe they are coming for you. Otherwise, here's a spare cruiser key and the radio mike. Tell dispatch, and drive away if possible. Don't get out of the car to help unless I specifically ask for help.

The only ones that does not apply to are current cops.
    Jenna likes this.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I don't even show all the ride-alongs the shotgun release. Just the radio ...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Tell dispatch, and drive away if possible.
    Leaving you behind?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information