Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Notification of concealed carry.

Notification of concealed carry.

Laws vary from state to state about if you are required to notify a LEO when you are carrying a concealed firearm.

In my home state of South Dakota I have been told that some LEOs would rather not be informed because the department they work for makes them run a check on the gun, and paperwork is involved.

I think that this sounds like wishful thinking on the part of the person that told me this, but thought that I would put the question out there.

Assuming that there is not a requirement to inform, and assuming that you were to have to run a check on every firearm you ran across, would you rather be informed by a concealed permit holder and have to to the check and paperwork, or you rather not have the extra work?

I am guessing more than 9 out of 10 would want to be informed, but God knows I have been wrong before.

Paul

Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I prefer to know. To run a gun you must seize it. That is a problem for me and my state law. Your mere possession is not cause for me to run it.
    Rhino likes this.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    State law requires notification of LE during any contact if you're carrying concealed. You also have to allow us to secure the gun during contact.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

creolecop is offline Really? and I'm suppose to believe that??
    Verified LEO
    Louisiana says you must notify an officer during LE contact, you also by acceptance of permit agree to a frisk and allowing the officer to disarm you for the duration of his business with you. Also you are in violation if you are intoxicated over a .05 (while armed)

Quote Originally Posted by creolecop View Post
    Also you are in violation if you are intoxicated over a .05 (while armed)
    You are also a (I would just love to put a really strong curse word here) idiot if you are in possession of a firearm and are drinking. (Personal opinion)

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I prefer to know. To run a gun you must seize it. That is a problem for me and my state law. Your mere possession is not cause for me to run it.
    By seize it, do you mean possess it during the course of the other-than-consensual contact? I would argue that if you possess it, and I disarm you for some reason (again, NON-consensual encounter...if this is a PR contact, I'm most likely not going to ask you to give it up), I can read the serial number in plain view. I do not have any requirement of RS or PC to run something through CCIC/NCIC. Would I? Not necessarily, but I could if I were so inclined, as long as I either do it AFTER the contact, or waiting on the clearance does not unnecessarily prolong the contact beyond the scope of time needed to address the original nature of the contact.
    berserk likes this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I was told that (at least in Virginia) my concealed carry permit will show up when my info is ran during a traffic stop, is this true?
    Regardless if it is true, I would still inform the officer of my weapon.

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by rob84 View Post
    I was told that (at least in Virginia) my concealed carry permit will show up when my info is ran during a traffic stop, is this true?
    It can. However, simply possessing a permit doesn't mean you're carrying at the moment...

I prefer and recommend that you advise the cop you're carrying. I do myself. Just say something like "I have a concealed weapons permit and am carrying... My gun is..." That way, if I see the gun inadvertently, it's not a surprise, and I know why you have it. (I'd recommend the same thing if you have a gun in the passenger compartment of your car, unless it's in plain view like a hunting rifle or shotgun in a rack in the rear window.) I might take control of the gun while I verify the permit or during the encounter; it's a judgement thing. More likely though is that I'll simply say "thanks, show me the permit, and don't pull the gun out."

Whiich segues to running the gun's serial number. Personally -- wouldn't do it unless there's a particularized concern. I can justify controlling the gun while I verify your permit as a safety issue... but just routinely running every gun I come across? Probably not. I'm definitely not doing a full firearm's trace unless I actually seize it for some reason.
    rob84 likes this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thank you for the clarification, sir!

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by politicsandguns View Post
    Assuming that there is not a requirement to inform, and assuming that you were to have to run a check on every firearm you ran across, would you rather be informed by a concealed permit holder and have to to the check and paperwork, or you rather not have the extra work?
    If you're carrying a gun and we're talking, then I appreciate being told. In most cases, I'm probably not going to take the gun away from you (let alone run a clearance on it), even if department policy hypothetically said I should. I don't mind doing the paperwork, but if seizing your firearm isn't reasonable under the Fourth Amendment then I'm not going to do it. Your rights trump my SOP.

If you choose not to tell me about it, then I wouldn't begrudge you that if I somehow found out later.

If the facts of our contact do justify taking the gun away, then I'm probably going to search you anyway. In that case, you'll definitely want to say something before I find it. Taking away a gun that I know about is relatively calm and painless. Taking away a gun that I didn't know about begins with a dynamic takedown.

Varies by state. Colorado used to have a database that would tell me about CCW permits, but the database was abolished. Now I only know if you tell me, or if I call the sheriff's department that issued your permit.
    Pudge, rob84, lewisipso and 1 others like this.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'd recommend disclosing it, regardless of the state law.

I don't like surprises, and if I accidentally see the gun I might get a little squirrely if it catches me off guard.
    Pudge, JLK, CT209 and 2 others like this.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    It sure will.

I always prefer to be told up front. Surprises do nobody any good. If you don't tell me, then reach over to grab your reg card and your shirt rides up, it gets a lot more uncomfortable than had you told me right up front.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Pulled a traffic stop on I-10 several years ago.

As I was getting the driver's DL, registration, and proof of insurance (he was out of the vehicle and was wearing a suit), a gust of wind blew his jacket open. He hadn't said anything about carrying.

What I saw when his jacket blew open looked like about twenty pounds of chrome hanging on his waist.

He got to meet my Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson model 29 up close and REAL personal. Like about a foot from his nose.

His hands shot straight up and his fingers were spread out wider than I thought fingers could be spread.

He stuttered, "I'm-I'm-I'm-I'm-I'm a Deputy U.S. Marshal!"

I asked if he could prove that. He said his ID was in his inside coat pocket. Told him to retrieve it - - VERY CAREFULLY.

He was who he said he was.

Reholstered, and apologized for drawing down on him, and "somewhat" chastized him for not informing me up front.

His wife and young daughter were in the vehicle with him. Coulda turned out to be a real bad situation.

So, bottom line - - yeah, inform the officer that you're carrying. Might just save your day.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I very much appreciate being told. If I am not told the rule is as follows. Do not touch yours I won't touch mine and I am very fast on the draw.
    Pudge, CT209 and abom334 like this.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I very much appreciate being told. If I am not told the rule is as follows. Do not touch yours I won't touch mine and I am very fast on the draw.
    THIS
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    Pulled a traffic stop on I-10 several years ago.

As I was getting the driver's DL, registration, and proof of insurance (he was out of the vehicle and was wearing a suit), a gust of wind blew his jacket open. He hadn't said anything about carrying.

What I saw when his jacket blew open looked like about twenty pounds of chrome hanging on his waist.

He got to meet my Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson model 29 up close and REAL personal. Like about a foot from his nose.

His hands shot straight up and his fingers were spread out wider than I thought fingers could be spread.

He stuttered, "I'm-I'm-I'm-I'm-I'm a Deputy U.S. Marshal!"

I asked if he could prove that. He said his ID was in his inside coat pocket. Told him to retrieve it - - VERY CAREFULLY.

He was who he said he was.

Reholstered, and apologized for drawing down on him, and "somewhat" chastized him for not informing me up front.

His wife and young daughter were in the vehicle with him. Coulda turned out to be a real bad situation.

So, bottom line - - yeah, inform the officer that you're carrying. Might just save your day.

The coolest part of this story is the fact that you were carrying a 44 mag.
    astier and code3bg like this.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    The coolest part of this story is the fact that you were carrying a 44 mag.
    Back in those days, if we qualified with it, we were allowed to carry it.

Kinda sadly, those days are long gone.

Carrying a .45 now. (Love the BIG holes in those barrels. Tends to get folks' attention a little quicker.)

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Washington has no notification requirement, but I'd like to know.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

It seems rather universal then that it is a good idea to inform. I had thought that that was the case as I started in my original post.
    So form now on in my travels when I am carrying I will inform.

Thank you all so much for your input!

Paul
    Pudge and lewisipso like this.

code3bg is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I agree that it's always good to know. In Wyoming we just assume EVERYONE is carrying, especially since it is now legal to carry without a permit if you are a resident of Wyoming (assuming you aren't disqualified from possessing). I tell everyone that if they are carrying and the have LE contact, the first words out of your mouth should be telling the officer that you are carrying. That's how I would prefer it.
    lewisipso likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information