Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Should I apply to be a Police Officer again?

code3bg is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Ryan, I hate to beat a dead horse but I will repeat what has been said multiple times. I was turned down by the first 5 or 6 agencies I applied to back in California. At that time, about 8 years ago, I was going against 3,000 other people for a handful of jobs (every time I applied). I made it to the final 7 once (for 4 spots) and that was as close as I ever got. When my wife and I made the decision to leave Cali and head for Wyoming/Nebraska area I decided to throw my app in again for a spot in detention. I was hired and could not be happier. As it turns out, if I would have been hired (when I made the final 7) I would have been laid off about 2 years ago. If you truly want it then go for it. It's a thankless job for low pay with shitty hours... but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm now being "dual certified" so I will be working detention and patrol. Detention/Corrections is a great foot in the door and, in my opinion, prepares you to work the street. It makes a better street cop in most cases because you learn to communicate better. Just my opinion, take that for what it's worth...

NESROK is offline NES DA MESS
    Verified LEO
    If your over 21 my dept is always hiring. Two years military or 60 college credits. Also youll learn the job real fast!!
    NYPD. If your willing to relocate. Good luck!
    Behind a gun… I'll make my final stand!

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    Hi Nesrok,

Does the NYPD have special circumstances for people applying from out of state? I took a look at the web-site, but I wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks,
    Ryan

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ryan,

NYPD has many entrance exams in NYC and some others across the country. You should check the website to see if any tests are being held closer to you.

There used to be the QUEST program for out of state applicants. After you took the entry exam, and NYPD reached your number on the list, all of your pre-hire testing (medical, psych, PT, BI) would be scheduled together over the course of a few days so you could do most things in one trip to NYC. There is no longer a specific QUEST program, but if you pass the written test and call a recruiter they could probably make similar arrangements.

The Hiring Process | NYPDRECRUIT.COM
    212-732-7847 (212-RECRUIT)
    Ryan701 likes this.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Ryan701 and DILLON 45 like this.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

NESROK is offline NES DA MESS
    Verified LEO
    Sorry to respond so late. You can speak with a recruiter and see if they still do the quest program. That what I had done back in 2004 and I was living in Texas at the time. All was done within a week's time. Hopefully someone from the recruit section there can shed a little more light for you. Good luck bud!

Behind a gun…I'll make my final stand.
    Ryan701 likes this.
    Behind a gun… I'll make my final stand!

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    You never really know what the reason is behind the DQ in this process, it could even be that they want to hire the non-sworn positions because they pay less, and it has been done recently in Sheriff's Offices in Wisconsin. Glad you decided not to give up.
    Ryan701 likes this.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

DILLON 45 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Background investigations are very time consuming and before a agency begins they like to be sure that you and they are
    a good fit.
    N.J. State civil service, ( State N.J. police commission) gives all entrance examinations as well as certifying 3 candidates at one time and informs the
    hiring agency and they will then begin the background.
    If a person is disqualified I believe they are given a reason, or at least it was this way when I was hired.

Remember be completely honest. Good luck
    Ryan701 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information