Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    But, did he report her to the DMV?

I know every state is different, but in California you have to be seizure free/controlled by meds for 2 years, if you have a seizure your license is suspended pending a medical review.

Anyone that is lying about that is liable civilly if they injure/kill anyone during a seizure related TC.

I have experienced some of the prejudice that epilepsy has inspired thru the years, but the DL restriction is one I fully support.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

tx-leo is offline Troll Hunter
    Verified LEO
    You are not medically sound for driving if you have a condition that will make you loose the normal use of your mental or physical facalties in the mannor described by the original poster.

As a P.O., If I come accross a situation like this, I would make them call someone to come drive their vehicle, and then will submit a medical review form with the State, and they will perform a medical review of the driver to see if they need their DL revoked.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

No brain, no pain

Quote Originally Posted by PDawg
    But, did he report her to the DMV?

I know every state is different, but in California you have to be seizure free/controlled by meds for 2 years, if you have a seizure your license is suspended pending a medical review.

Anyone that is lying about that is liable civilly if they injure/kill anyone during a seizure related TC.

I have experienced some of the prejudice that epilepsy has inspired thru the years, but the DL restriction is one I fully support.

Yo, Dawg, I had a case where a helmetless M/C rider got ejected, smacked his cocoanut against a light post and lived.
    He developed epilepsy after this crash and DMV refused to give him a DL, ONLY an ID Card.
    When he was told, at DMV, that his Doctor would not sign off, saying "We can't be certain he'll NEVER have a seizure behind the wheel again due to his head injury" form, the guy demanded of the DMV Clerk:

Head injury? WHAT head injury!?!?!"

Flashing lights WILL bring on a seizure in a few cases, hence another reason why you need to turn off your strobe lights at night. They create a circus atmosphere (Where PITA by standers are attracted and want to see what's happening), they blind other responders, and they are a potential officer safety hazard.

I have the guy's DMV picture, complete with the dented skull, but can't get it to attach or imbed in the post to share it....

SGTDDUKE is offline Rookie Sgt.
    Ive heard of it but never seen it. Even on medical calls I dont turn my lights off (if they are on for some reason). I have an above average amount of lights in my unit (LED and strobe) and I have never had anyone complain about a medical problem. I think it can happen but I think it mostly happens when the person making the complaint is in violation of some type of law and just wants to make a stink about anything.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I generally feel physically ill when I see a patrol car behind with lights and strobes on. The lights have nothing to do with it though, it's just because I knew I was speeding or blew a light!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

NavLaw is offline Officer First Class
    They way I understand it, its mostly due to the regularity of the pulses. They have had problems in some areas where trees planted close to the highway at a precise distance appart have caused the same problem. For one the autobon, they just took out a few trees at random and that cleared up the problem.
    If you can't do it from a boat. Do you really want to do it?

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    You can also get the same effect/result from the black and white geometric pictures.

Epilepsy is an interesting condition. Probably one of the only conditions that has increased in occurance as a direct result of new medical techniques.

Anyone that has suffered brain trauma through head injury, prolonged fever, deprivation of oxygen, even surgery can potentially develop epilepsy.

Mine was a genetic disposition - been in my family for over 7 generations. I've been seizure free for 35 years, and off meds for 27 years.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Probably the same reason why some video games can cause epliptic seizures. While I would accept her answer, it would only be after I have called for backup and searched her vehicle...would much rather be safe than sorry.

AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional
    I have seen it happen only one time; and that was not by emergancy lights but a strobe at a wedding recption.

This girl was trying to get out of the ticket I'd venture to guess

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    ive seen that happen before... pretty wierd. One friend of mine cant go to most concerts because of that. Whenever the strobes start, he has to cover his eyes until they stop. He still drives though, he just cant look directly at any passing emergency vehicles with the lights on, especially at night.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Whitewolf is offline Hard Of Hearing Non-LEO
    Sounds like a card needs a new line: "A patient has a seizure which can be affected by strobe lights." But hardly, they will ever add such line in the card carrying by seizure patient re: strobe lights.

Ooh, time for me to renew the patient card...sheesh...but I still have the same allergic reactions and illnesses: codeine, coffee beans, shrimps, Migraine, chronic inner ear infection, and hearing-impairement. That's suck! Jeez.
    I SEE NEKKED PEOPLE! AIN'T SKEERED!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information