Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fiveocommando is offline I need more cowbell!!
    My faith affects my job immensely. I pray at the begining of each shift for strength, courage, compassion, and to be reunited with my family at the end of the day. I also make a promise to God that I will not do anything that is immoral. There is a reason we are called "Peace officers" and I believe we all have a moral obligation to God to be just. Remember, "Blessed are the peace makers".
    Honest, I only had two officer.....

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Looks like I'm the only Atheist around then? But I try to live by christian principles, if that makes sense?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Hard to be an atheist in a foxhole.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Verified LEO
    Not if your a Fox.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

RdrB67 is offline Officer First Class
    This is a significant question, in my opinion, and one that is difficult to answer. It's not that I don't have an answer, but it's a question that requires a lot of introspection both to evaluate the answer and to evaluate how much of it to share with others as it is sacred ground, not to be treated lightly nor shared lightly.

My religion is literally where I derive my entire purpose for being. It is something of deep importance and I can honestly say that anything that I do or am that is of any worth is because of my religion. It is the source of unspeakable happiness and strength to endure the challenges of life and lends perspective to everything that I do or experience.

Has it made me perfect? Absolutely not. It is a constant reminder that I have a great many things to learn and change, but it also reminds me that it can be done and that it is worth doing.

I really believe that those who are "sheepdogs" in our society are more effective when they hear and listen to the voice of the "Good Shepherd." And that is my goal.

Among other things, I know God lives. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the living Son of the living God. I know this as surely as I know the sun is shining at noon-day. I know this by experience(s) too sacred and too extensive to discuss in this setting, but know it just the same.

Thank you all for your thoughts and posts. I hope that what little I've said is of some worth to you.
    "Nothing says guilty like a high-priced lawyer."
    - Tom Griswold

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    Not if your a Fox.

i think he meant to say a trench. i dont know if they use the word foxhole to describe a trench in the U.K.
    Last edited by bird1; 05-25-06 at 10:39 AM.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I'm not religious, but I am spiritual. I ask each day that I will be a good deputy.....yes I excell as a deputy......but the thought/prayer/energy is that I will be good at my job that day/night with what I encounter and hopefully help someone in ways other than just taking people to jail.....

AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    Nice to see other Christians on here. Seems, in law enforcement, most are afraid to talk about it. I don't know if some think it's a sign of weakness, myself, I believe it's a sign of strength. God bless us all and keep us safe!

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Well, I'm a Roman Catholic, and I know my priest thinks I am a whack job, becuase I went into the sacristey (sp?) to talk to him, and then I pulled out my duffle bag and set it on the table. I told him I had a strange request and he said "Try me" well, I took out 3 pistols, 9 magazines/loaded, my star, my St. Michael medaliion, and then had him bless them all as well a St. Michael tattoo. I may not be a Church goer, but I survived 4 years in the Marines and quite a few close calls on this job, so I know someone is watchin my ass up there.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

kingpervis is offline Nobody
    Pedro, I am a Catholic, too, and having your gear blessed seems like a good idea. What did the priest say afterwards?

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    Looks like I'm the only Atheist around then? But I try to live by christian principles, if that makes sense?
    Naw, I can go to the left with you, I am an atheist, I don't do things or live my life because some book tells me to, I do it because it is morally right with society. When my son had open heart surgery it was not god who saved him it was the fact that I had a great doctor at Boston Childrens.

My wife is an anthropologist so for all the born agains they know what that means, no big bang just years of transition from water to land.

The world is fighting and killing each other over beliefs and religion, I highly doubt that if there is a god, budda, or muhammed he would approve of our actions. If I am wrong then hey, judgement day is going to be a bad day for me and I can live with that. I live my life morally right and if god loves everyone then I think I will be ok, not because I gave 10% of my paycheck to a church every week.

Some of the biggest hypocrits I have met, weather on battle lines or on the street breaking laws have been religious nuts.

No I am not religious and don't believe. However I do not judge those who are religious and respect that they need to believe in something, I just wish they would reciprocate on those of us that do not believe the same things they do intsead of coming to my door with pamphlets. when you are dying and you see that bright light, it is just the lights the paragods are shining in your pupils to get a reaction.....the rest is worm bait "Marines; 3rd batt. I Company, PI", My religion.

As to the person who started this thread, I am sorry for your loss, you will be in my thoughts tonight at work.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpervis
    Pedro, I am a Catholic, too, and having your gear blessed seems like a good idea. What did the priest say afterwards?
    Nothing, he didn't argue either when I started unloading my hardware either lol. I said thanks and left.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    The world is fighting and killing each other over beliefs and religion, I highly doubt that if there is a god, budda, or muhammed he would approve of our actions.
    I agree to a point, but there have been just as many people who have been helped in the name of religion as well: charities, hospitals, soup kitchens, missions, etc.

As for Buddhism, it's just as much of a philiosphy as it is a religion- and as far as I know, no wars have been fought over it. In fact, it's entirely possible to become a Christian Buddhist.

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity." - Albert Einstein
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

GLH06 is offline Rookie
    This is an interesting thread. I was getting ready to sign off but kinda feel a need to put my two cents in. I'm Native American so not only do a lot of officers following the church and bible but we also practice our tribal customs. Those customs are sundancing, Native American church, fasting, attending sweats and using tobacco (but not like smoking cigarettes more like to pray with). I was raised Catholic but would go to cermonies on Friday and Saturday night and go to church on sunday. It works for me. I know I'm safe as long as I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by GLH06
    I know I'm safe as long as I believe.
    This is essentially what I believe as well.

I've always been facinated with tribal customs- from Druidic to Native American. I find even more facinating that there are other LEOs out there practicing such things. I've also found other officers that are Taoists like myself.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Yes I share the seven sacred rites as well (red heart here), my wife is wicca...

whatever you do to the earth, you do to the children of the earth...
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Verified LEO
    Mind you when we had our last Census here in the UK, there was a campaign to get Jedi recognised as a religion. So, as it's on an 'official' record somewhere, I guess I'm a Jedi.

pfure87 is offline warrantteam1
    The death of someone close to you puts you in touch of your mortality more quickly than the numerous brushes we have with danger on the job. For me, faith is the only thing that will carry you from this life to the next and nothing else. Afterall we're already dead men, we just havent gotten there yet. To those who're sure theres nothing else after death, are you willing to bet eternity on that?
    People sleep peaceable at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.:

Quote Originally Posted by pfure87
    To those who're sure theres nothing else after death, are you willing to bet eternity on that?
    Even if they are, not all beliefs say the will be punished for it. Some beliefs say they will just be recycled until they "get it right"- like everyone else. This as been a peaceful, adult discussion that I've enjoyed reading so far- let's tread carefully here.

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by pfure87
    The death of someone close to you puts you in touch of your mortality more quickly than the numerous brushes we have with danger on the job. For me, faith is the only thing that will carry you from this life to the next and nothing else. Afterall we're already dead men, we just havent gotten there yet. To those who're sure theres nothing else after death, are you willing to bet eternity on that?
    This is why I don't discuss religion with bible thumpers, it was ok when everyone was discussing thier religions and what they believe until a couple or Atheist came in the room and said "I don't buy into all this god shit" (in so many words). Like I said, No I don't think there is anything after death except the lights go out. If there is I think it is going to be nothing like you have been told for years about white gates and wings. Yes I am betting eternity on that. As I said if I am wrong then judgement day is not going to be a good for me but if I am right I will chuckle in my box as the worms eat my eyes.

And yes I know a little about religion, I was raised Irish Catholic and they are some of the worst offenders of hypocracy, I traveled throughout Asia briefly and learned about Buddism, and I met some not so nice Muslims in Somalia and the Middle East.....No thanks as I said I live my life cleanly and that will be good enough....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information