Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. #41
    pfure87's Avatar
    pfure87 is offline warrantteam1
    Join Date
    05-22-06
    Location
    harrisburg, p.a.
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Not implying eternal damnation to buddists, if thats what your getting at partner. And im certainly friendly enough. Do what you will in life

    Just relating my experience bud, not "thumping the bible"! Could i infer that this is the problem in discussing religion with atheists? Don read to deep into it, you go your way and i'll go mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion44
    Even if they are, not all beliefs say the will be punished for it. Some beliefs say they will just be recycled until they "get it right"- like everyone else. This as been a peaceful, adult discussion that I've enjoyed reading so far- let's tread carefully here.
    scroll down Mr. carridine.
    Last edited by FishTail; 05-27-06 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Triple posting
    People sleep peaceable at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.:

  2. #42
    PACMAN's Avatar
    PACMAN is offline Officer
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    598158
    Quote Originally Posted by pfure87
    Just relating my experience bud, not "thumping the bible"! Could i infer that this is the problem in discussing religion with atheists? Don read to deep into it, you go your way and i'll go mine.
    Sorry "bud" but I just have a bad taste in my mouth from fighting and traveling based on a religion/belief (no matter whose it was). You asked based on yours if I was willing to bet eternity on it and I gave you my answer.

    We are all cops here and I have no gripe with you. As far as discussing religion with an Atheist I should maybe rephrase since I strongly dissagree with atheist who want to do stupid shit such as take "god" out of the pledge of allegiance, or "In God We Trust" off the money. That is just stupid and a waste of time. In my original post you will note that I said, I don't care what people believe as long as they stay off my doorstep with the pamphlets trying to get me to beleive what they want, or the gay pride parade where I am looked at like an asshole because I am married to a girl. I don't give a crap if your gay but don't try to make your political statement like I am wrong for not being gay myself, (I live in predominately gay area and I hate that time of year).

    Anyway like I said religion and a thread like this always gets people fired up. Because I don't buy into the bible I always bump heads with someone when this conversation comes up. Your thing about if "I was willing to bet eternity on that" was like talking to a few born agains from the bible belt that I used to talk to when we were traveling the globe killing people and it all came down to our Christian belief V. there Jihad

    I will hold the rest of my opinions to myself, sorry to offend you...

  3. #43
    Cst.SB's Avatar
    Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Posts
    526
    Rep Power
    1066998
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    The world is fighting and killing each other over beliefs and religion, I highly doubt that if there is a god, budda, or muhammed he would approve of our actions..
    I disagree with you in regards to Muhammed. He was a general and spreading Isam by violence is perfectly acceptable. In Shari'a Law it's Dhimitude, convert, pay a tax (remain your native faith, but have no new chruches built or religious signs ie: crosses, etc, visible), or die.

    Hence the over 5000 Islamic terrorist attacks in over 60 nations post 9/11.

  4. #44
    dragnet511's Avatar
    dragnet511 is offline I want a Hemi!!!
    Join Date
    05-14-06
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0
    God is very important in my life. I am lucky enough to work in a small department and normally have the chance to attend church while on-duty. Although, I do admit that if God blessed me with a bright, sunny Sunday that means he intended for me to go forth and run traffic.

  5. #45
    pfure87's Avatar
    pfure87 is offline warrantteam1
    Join Date
    05-22-06
    Location
    harrisburg, p.a.
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiveocommando
    My faith affects my job immensely. I pray at the begining of each shift for strength, courage, compassion, and to be reunited with my family at the end of the day. I also make a promise to God that I will not do anything that is immoral. There is a reason we are called "Peace officers" and I believe we all have a moral obligation to God to be just. Remember, "Blessed are the peace makers".
    Thats the funniest picture ive ever seen. Thanks for the laugh!
    People sleep peaceable at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.:

  6. #46
    pfure87's Avatar
    pfure87 is offline warrantteam1
    Join Date
    05-22-06
    Location
    harrisburg, p.a.
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    Sorry "bud" but I just have a bad taste in my mouth from fighting and traveling based on a religion/belief (no matter whose it was). You asked based on yours if I was willing to bet eternity on it and I gave you my answer.

    We are all cops here and I have no gripe with you. As far as discussing religion with an Atheist I should maybe rephrase since I strongly dissagree with atheist who want to do stupid shit such as take "god" out of the pledge of allegiance, or "In God We Trust" off the money. That is just stupid and a waste of time. In my original post you will note that I said, I don't care what people believe as long as they stay off my doorstep with the pamphlets trying to get me to beleive what they want, or the gay pride parade where I am looked at like an asshole because I am married to a girl. I don't give a crap if your gay but don't try to make your political statement like I am wrong for not being gay myself, (I live in predominately gay area and I hate that time of year).

    Anyway like I said religion and a thread like this always gets people fired up. Because I don't buy into the bible I always bump heads with someone when this conversation comes up. Your thing about if "I was willing to bet eternity on that" was like talking to a few born agains from the bible belt that I used to talk to when we were traveling the globe killing people and it all came down to our Christian belief V. there Jihad

    I will hold the rest of my opinions to myself, sorry to offend you...
    Didnt mean to offend you either, brother. I do consider myself a spiritual man, but i dont force feed my beliefs to anyone else. I've had that done to me by members of my wifes family because im cathlioc. They told me im headed for hell b/c of that! I couldnt believe it, so i feel you when it comes to "Bible thumping". People from both sides of the war in Iraq use religion to justify killing each other, to which i wonder what if their God approves. I apoligize if i offended you, too. Stay safe out there!
    People sleep peaceable at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.:

  7. #47
    Sapper_132's Avatar
    Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-10-06
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    7084543
    I was raised Catholic but have strayed away. I've gone other routes too. Like Buddhism, and did the tribal walk when I was younger. For now I'm lost, I don't practice anything. Mostly because people that i meet like christians or catholics try to push it on me and it always starts like this, "What church do you go too?" I don't. "Then maybe you should come out to my church on Sunday, I'll pick you up at" Screw that, if I want to go to church I'll go. But since most everyone I know wants to push it on me. I don't go. I do think if there was a temple near me I'd go back to Buddhism. No pressure there.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

  8. #48
    PACMAN's Avatar
    PACMAN is offline Officer
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    598158
    Quote Originally Posted by pfure87
    Didnt mean to offend you either, brother. I do consider myself a spiritual man, but i dont force feed my beliefs to anyone else. I've had that done to me by members of my wifes family because im cathlioc. They told me im headed for hell b/c of that! I couldnt believe it, so i feel you when it comes to "Bible thumping". People from both sides of the war in Iraq use religion to justify killing each other, to which i wonder what if their God approves. I apoligize if i offended you, too. Stay safe out there!
    Non taken, I can admit when I am a tired cranky little bitch because I read the thread when I was just getting home from working mids, I am really not the way my prick answer sounded.....If we ever meet beer is on me.....

  9. #49
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    .....If we ever meet beer is on me.....
    I'll keep that in mind for July!!!!!!!!

  10. #50
    ypd810 is offline Reserve Police Officer
    Join Date
    05-13-06
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Faith and Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by RdrB67
    This is a significant question, in my opinion, and one that is difficult to answer. It's not that I don't have an answer, but it's a question that requires a lot of introspection both to evaluate the answer and to evaluate how much of it to share with others as it is sacred ground, not to be treated lightly nor shared lightly.

    My religion is literally where I derive my entire purpose for being. It is something of deep importance and I can honestly say that anything that I do or am that is of any worth is because of my religion. It is the source of unspeakable happiness and strength to endure the challenges of life and lends perspective to everything that I do or experience.

    Has it made me perfect? Absolutely not. It is a constant reminder that I have a great many things to learn and change, but it also reminds me that it can be done and that it is worth doing.

    I really believe that those who are "sheepdogs" in our society are more effective when they hear and listen to the voice of the "Good Shepherd." And that is my goal.

    Among other things, I know God lives. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the living Son of the living God. I know this as surely as I know the sun is shining at noon-day. I know this by experience(s) too sacred and too extensive to discuss in this setting, but know it just the same.

    Thank you all for your thoughts and posts. I hope that what little I've said is of some worth to you.

    I've read through each and every one of these posts, but this one comes the closest to the kind of answer that I was hoping to make.

    I know that God is real. I know that Jesus is the only begoten son of God and that gives me the reason for all that I do.

    Prayer... I pray all the time. In James we're told to "Pray without ceasing". And I couldn't dream of doing what we do without good direction from THE very present and able God. Yea, it's a calling .....

    Regards,
    Tom

  11. #51
    Join Date
    06-18-06
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Simply stated, God is real. There is no way that you can have a long, accomplished and protected law enforcement career without the intervention and oversight of the Almighty. The job is just too dangerous and impacted by evil from all corners. He just wants you to acknowledge the HUGE role He plays in every phase of your existence.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What Would Muhammad Do?
    By Cst.SB in forum General Topics
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-06-07, 02:00 AM
  2. Replies: 101
    Last Post: 04-28-07, 08:50 AM
  3. Note to teachers from the ACLU
    By Virginian in forum General Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-06, 10:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •