Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    nitestokker is offline Banned

Faith and Religion

How does faith and religion play a role in your job every day? Most people only become religious when they get into a bind. I used to be that way. Without getting too detailed and boring you with my woes, I was with a wonderful lady a few years ago and she got pregnant. She passed away after giving birth to my two year old girl. Before that I was a fly-by-night, seat of the pants Christian who just assumed God would always take care of those who deserved it. Then I lost her and my job at the same time. The whole world crashed down around me and I had nothing but my daughter. Since then, I take faith a lot more seriously and remind myself every day that it could happen again any time. I was just wondering how your God, whoever he/she/it may be, affects your daily work life. Just curious and open for advice on how to live my life better..........Peace, be safe and miss you Michele, I know you're watching all of us!

BMBDAWG is offline Officer First Class
    Sorry to hear of your tragedy. There are times that we just don't have the answers to all our questions. Such as "why did this happen?" But one thing is for sure, you did receive a blessing with the birth of your daughter. As for me and my GOD (Jesus Christ) I have a personal relationship with him on a daily basis. I speak to my GOD in the mornings when I first wake up, during the day, and right before I hit the sack. I have just been blessed beyond explanation. Don't misunderstand me my friend,... I have gone through a tragedy like you have, but just the fact that I had my faith was a comfort in itself. Hang tough, and call upon the name of the LORD, and he shell see you through.

Laters

Ric
    bmbdawg@yahoo.com
    DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF

"ATTITUDE" - I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% on how I react to it.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I never lived a very faith based life. But, I had some heartache, and some tragedy myself about a year ago, and I still struggle with it a lot sometimes (many LEF'ers probably remember a thread a made back in January basically pleading for help!) Anyway, I try to bring Christ into my life as often as possible, and it's helped me a lot...I am strengthening my faith as a Christian every day. And it really does affect me in a positive way.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

I have since found salvation in marrying a new lady who is a dispatcher/EMT and super cool. I have a new job and a new baby and I am looking to get promoted soon (I hope). I don't know if my faith has anything to do with it, but life is looking pretty good these days. Whether it was my deceased Michele who put in a good word for me, blind luck or my new found faith, someone or something out there is watching my back! I wish I knew who or whom to thank for my good life! There have been several times when I should have been dead. I must have a guardian angel somewhere.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    sorry to hear of your tragedy. i was never a religous person, but there are no atheists in foxholes nor police work. every nite before going to work the nite watch i thank god for everything i have & kiss my two boys and my wife goodnight. when i get home i thank god again for bringing me home safe. in the last four years i lost two friends on the job. i really dont want to go to any more police funerals. so i always make god part of my life he gives me the strength and courage to face the demons that are out there. anybody who says he doest belive in god on this job is a liar. keep ure head up take care of that little girl thats ure job now
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    Amen, brother!

kingpervis is offline Nobody
    I'm a Roman Catholic, and used to be more involved with it. Now I've hardly been to Mass since September and while I still believe it, I've fallen away from practicing it. It's hardly a part of my life anymore whereas it used to be a much bigger part.

deputy29 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    My father was someone who didn't believe in God and my mother was which ended up with me believing but not going to church very often. I've fought off cancer twice now and when things get rough I get on my horse and head for the hills. When I do this I'm in the woods that God created and feel closer to him than if I was in a man-made building. Even when I was on patrol when someting got to me I would head for the woods because this is where I felt closest to God becauce I was in the world that he created.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I send a prayer up at night before I head out the door, and send one up when I come home.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    How does faith and religion play a role in your job every day?

They dont Im not so religious, long story.

But I really like the folks that are nice religious folks.

The holier than thou jerks can go to hell.

The bgs and scum faster.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm sorry for your loss, but at least you know she's in a better place, and watching out for you.

I was raised very religious, and for a time wanted to go to seminary. And then the light bulb burned out for me with my church, and I just didn't have the same drive. I was at a job where I had to work on Sundays, and that made a dent in my relationship with my church, to the point that when I started having Sundays off again, I wasn't going to church. I'm not saying I lost faith, I still believe, I still have faith and pray, just now I go my own path toward closeness with God. My fiance sits on the fence of Religion, she believes in God, and knows that all religions have some truth in them, that the God of most religions is the same God, but she feels that most religious sects have fallen away from the truth enough that not one specific sect is correct whole heartedly. Who is to say who has the right direction toward God? baptists/methodists/catholics/JW/mormons/etc./etc./etc. they all think their way is the right way, but they are fighting over the same God, the same basic belief, the same focus, with each going their own direction getting there. My fiance and I have started attending a Unitarian Church lately for just that reason, it allows us the opportunity to get closer to God, but do it on our own terms with understanding his Word.

On the job, I pray for my safety, and that of those whom I work with, that they may return home at the end of their shifts, I pray for the safety of our families while we are away from them, and I pray for wisdom and guidance in the completion of my duties. If something happens, I may pull over and find a hiding spot and prey for a few minutes for whatever may be going on at the time, or I may have just seen.

Otherwise, i'm not preachy. I don't go around telling everyone about Jesus. I've got enough issues with trying to do my job without getting called to IAB to go throw an extra match into the fire.

Reading through your post, and my long *** reply, makes me wonder exactly what your asking to know about us.

Am I a God fearing believing Christian, yes. Is my fiance, No. She believes in God, but has not made her decision or direction when it comes to Jesus. She knows the facts, she knows the way, and she knows i'm there for her and wished she'd get off the fence. I don't dare go any farther, for I only wear the pants in the family when i'm in uniform. She's the boss, and I know when to shut up.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    I'm sorry for your loss, but at least you know she's in a better place, and watching out for you.

Reading through your post, and my long *** reply, makes me wonder exactly what your asking to know about us.
    Just wondering how you folks deal with your problems. Got a lot of ideas on how to improve my own soul from all the answers. Thanks.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As far as the calling (some call law enforcement a job) goes read the scripture in my sig. As far as my problems I've learned that I have received alot more blessings than problems. I try to learn from overcoming my problems and the blessings seem to come from where least expect them. Usually from me overcoming the problems. Now this is where the lawman in me comes out and scares the public. I am not afraid of dying b/c I know where I'm heading. What does this have to do with being a lawman? Whenever I get put in that life or death situation I am not going to be thinking about the death part of the situation. It is taken care of. I will be thinking of my tactics and killing the threat. As far as everyone else reading this, It is better to live your life like there is a God, a heaven, and a hell to later find at that there is not. The alternative is to live your life like there is no God, no heaven, and no hell to later find out that you were wrong.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    nitestokker
    Thanks for the post. Sorry about your loss, but you have also gained with God's grace. My first wife who died a few years ago, was active in the church when I was active LEO. Went with her, but didn't believe like she did. I won't go into what happened in my life due to this being in a public forum, but it was God sent, and turned my life around 180. You stay with your beliefs, and I will send up prayers for you, and your family.
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity and that's not fair!" Konrad Adenauer,

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0
    It is better to live your life like there is a God, a heaven, and a hell to later find at that there is not. The alternative is to live your life like there is no God, no heaven, and no hell to later find out that you were wrong.
    Amen!

BMBDAWG is offline Officer First Class
    My hat is off to FIVE-O... I enjoyed your response.

Thanks,

Ric
    bmbdawg@yahoo.com
    DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF

"ATTITUDE" - I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% on how I react to it.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I consider myself spiritual, not religious. But I apply many of the philiosophies of my belief (Zen, Taoism, some Buddhism) to my job all the time. I read the Tao Te Ching often. It allows me to perform my job and tackle the problems life throws at me with some sense of peace. Meditation and regular excercise help a lot.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

mhorton is offline Have Badge Will Travel
    Being a minister myself, naturally it plays a big part. I constantly pray for God to watch my back and the backs of my brothers and sisters out there.
    I also find it never hurts to slip in an extra prayer when you can't get an ETA on backup.
    It also helps when dealing with the public. I've been able to handle irate citizens (and a vindictive sheriff) simply by displaying a calm, professional, and rational demeanor even though deep inside I wanted to introduce them to Mr. Flashlight.
    I have always had a quick temper, and prayer and meditation helps me keep it in check.
    Last edited by mhorton; 06-28-06 at 12:34 AM.
    HOOK 'EM UP!!!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BMBDAWG
    My hat is off to FIVE-O... I enjoyed your response.

Thanks,
    Thank you...coming from someone with as much experience as you means alot.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Smile

Appreciate the warmth. Apathy breeds confusion and panic. Sorry, I dabble in poetry and what I mean by that is this: If you go through life not caring about the future, you are a jackass for feeling sorry for yourself when the future comes. Peace and be Safe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information