Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 121Traffic
  • 1 Post By keith720
  • 2 Post By Jks9199

Thread: I have a question about what occurs after a shooting

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class

I have a question about what occurs after a shooting

I would like to know what happens after a police shooting. I am working on a story where a police officer, is at a fast food restaurant, when a suspect comes into the place intent on robbing it when he sees that a police officer is Code 7. He is carrying a sword and walks in her direction. He looks high and refuses to drop the weapon. She fires the taser at him which has no effect. and she winds up shooting him in self sefense. Thank you for your help.
    Policefan
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Policefan1978 View Post
    I would like to know what happens after a police shooting. I am working on a story where a police officer, is at a fast food restaurant, when a suspect comes into the place intent on robbing it when he sees that a police officer is Code 7. He is carrying a sword and walks in her direction. He looks high and refuses to drop the weapon. She fires the taser at him which has no effect. and she winds up shooting him in self sefense. Thank you for your help.
    Policefan
    First off, forget the TASER stuff. Use of Force is not a continuum where all levels of force must be applied prior to deadly force. Someone coming at me with a sword and refusing to stop is a deadly force encounter. Without getting too much into tactics, the TASER has no appreciable use here, unless there is more than one officer and one of them has the responsibility of providing lethal cover. Even that's a stretch with a armed suspect approaching me.

As for the post-shoot, that varies widely depending on jurisdiction. It would be handled like any other homicide-by-gun scene. CSIs, witness statement collection, checking video recordings, etc. In my jurisdiction, we have a county-wide critical incident team...referred to as the "shoot" team. It's detectives from all of the county jurisdictions, investigators with the DA's office, etc. We can expect to have our weapon taken from us, our own IA investigators to be sniffing around, and us to be shuttled back to headquarters. I would promptly be making a call to a PBA/FOP/union rep and/or a lawyer.
    MacLean and Policefan1978 like this.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I agree with getting rid of the Taser. If I see someone coming after me with a sword, they're going to meet the business end of a .40.
    Policefan1978 likes this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Another suggestion... Unless you really know the codes & signals used by the particular agency, don't use them at all. I haven't got a clue what "Code 7" is; we've gone mostly to plain speech in my area, and we never had a Code 7 in the first place. We used to have a Signal 7 for a Larceny...

Nothing shows the lack of research like the little things like that. I shudder every time I hear a show filmed in LA but set in the DC area talk about "the I-66" or "the 495." I know that's how folks out there talk, but around here, it's just "495" or Sixty-six. (Don't even get me started on a leisurely jaunt from the Navy Yard to Norfolk. That's a 4 hour plus trip... before traffic.)

As to the Taser in the described scenario... Inappropriate use of force. And by the time you try it and then try to transition to a sidearm, anyone halfway capable will be cutting you to ribbons. Shoot their ass right away. You might find Rory Miller's book Violence: A Writer's Guide helpful.
    MacLean and Policefan1978 like this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class
    121trafic, Keith72,Jks9199 thank you for your help. I didn't know this.
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Typically the officer is placed on administrative leave, pending the outcome of an internal investigation. Some agencies will turn the investigation over to another agency, like the State Patrol, to insure the investigation is impartial. In my state, if someone is killed by law enforcement, a grand jury must be convened. As long as the officer was acting within the confines of their use of force continuum, they will be exonerated of wrong doing. In the scenario above, a person advancing on an officer with an edged weapon would be considered an immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury and the officer would be justified in shooting the suspect.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you're a writer, that "dispensing with the Taser" idea can be a good writer's tool to explain why she doesn't use the Taser.

It would go through her mind as she considered her options.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information