Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jks9199
  • 1 Post By Hermano Pistolero
  • 3 Post By Reca

Thread: Officer Courtesy

Verified LEO

Officer Courtesy

As I've traveled around the country for work, I can't help but notice the wide disparity between regions when it comes to officer courtesy. It seems to me that in the Northeast, anybody with a badge is treated as a brother. If you're on the job, you can expect to be treated well by fellow LEO's. The further south and west you go, outsider LEO's are treated with more suspicion, sometimes even hostility. I've been invited to ballgames and treated to countless rounds by brothers and sisters in NYC and Boston, but been ticketed for going 2 over in an unmarked unit in Texas and Arizona. I don't know if it's a state/local vs. fed thing, a territorial thing, or a cultural thing. I certainly extend courtesies to fellow LEO's, within reason, and I definitely don't expect preferential treatment, but why the differences? Has anyone noticed what I have? Similar experiences?

Sic semper scelestus.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One thing I've noticed on the west coast is administrators and departments tend to try and quash any camaraderie. They have effectively eliminated the "brotherhood" both within the department and with other departments.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Couple things...

First --let me start by noting that professional courtesy starts by not driving or acting in a way that you'll have to rely on it in the first place. That said -- yeah, I freely admit I've been stopped a few times and received courtesy. I acted the way I wanted someone to act, and IDed myself quickly. And there are assholes in uniform who I don't think would give their mother a break...

So... Northeast vs South... One thing I've noticed is that there can be an almost insulting presumption of courtesy and privilege from a tiny handful of officers, wherever they may be from. I got some other cops really pissed at me once when I said that a lot of cops in the Southeast may not know what PBA card is and what it means to a cop from the Northeast. You don't see them much south of PA. In a like manner, I've seen cops from my area irate that they were stopped for driving 20+ over the limit somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon Line... even though they weren't ticketed.

And I've got a few stories about how cops from some other states have acted when they came into mine on an investigation that might go aways in explaining some suspicion... I can say the same thing about the feds. (I'll work with individual agents from one large federal agency... but the agency as a whole? I don't trust it period on an investigation.) I've also got stories of fantastic cooperation across borders. (There's one agency in MD that I've consistently found easier to deal with than the county that surrounds my municipality!)

I think that there's plenty of brotherhood -- but the expression may be a little different in different places, too. Look at OR; we've got cops from all around the world, and several of us have been able to get together, during Police Week and at other times.

pgg has a point, too... If you don't feel the brotherhood in-house, you damn sure ain't likely to feel it with outsiders.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Did either of you see the recent video that surfaced of the NJ Trooper that rolled up on the plain-clothes guys doing a traffic stop? Infuriating on every level. The lack of professionalism on both sides was jaw-dropping. I was embarrassed for all of them.

I have had my fair share of beefs with other LEOs due to deconfliction issues or compromised investigations or even personality conflicts, but Jesus that was disgraceful.

I don't drive like an ass, typically, unless I'm in a pursuit or a surveillance, but most of my issues with other LEO's are due to these situations. Are there that many pricks out there that try to use those excuses?

Shouldn't there be the benefit of the doubt, within reason? Trust your gut, but what's the point of writing a guy a ticket for failure to signal when you see a vest in the front seat and hear radio traffic from his unit indicating a takedown or a rolling surveillance?

Sic semper scelestus.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Didn't mean that as an accusation or suggestion that your driving or conduct otherwise was a problem -- just stating a general principle. But, yeah, there are enough that are like that. I've had 'em dangle badges out the window at me... take forever to stop...

I haven't seen that video; can you post a link?
    Policefan1978 likes this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    No worries - I didn't take it wrong. Here's the link: http://cliffviewpilot.com/video-nj-s...county-police/

Sic semper scelestus.
    Policefan1978 likes this.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    This topic would be better suited for our verified area
    deputy29, Cidp24 and Broke Hoss like this.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Thread copied into verified area(locker room)
    Left open here for any general discussion amongst non verified members.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Policefan1978 is offline Officer First Class
    I for one would be interested in seeing the video despite the fact I am not a LEO. Police work has been interesting to me since 1967.
    May God be with you and your families as you Protect and Serve.

Thread Information