Welcome to the APBWeb.
    JMJ
    JMJ is offline Rookie

Contemplating a career change.

I have been trying to decide what to do for some time now. I currently work in construction, but I have been thinking about applying to some local depts. My only concern is that I wont have enough time for my family, specifically my son. I always hear officers talk about how difficult it is to have a family life. Between working weekends, holidays, court time, training classes, and the actual shifts(which I hear dont always end at the time they are suppose to), is there anytime left for family?

I feel a strong calling to do this, but at the same time I would be giving up a great job and, again the whole family issues bother me.

Thanks for any advice

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ
    I have been trying to decide what to do for some time now. I currently work in construction, but I have been thinking about applying to some local depts. My only concern is that I wont have enough time for my family, specifically my son. I always hear officers talk about how difficult it is to have a family life. Between working weekends, holidays, court time, training classes, and the actual shifts(which I hear dont always end at the time they are suppose to), is there anytime left for family?

I feel a strong calling to do this, but at the same time I would be giving up a great job and, again the whole family issues bother me.

Thanks for any advice
    My Advise would be to follow your heart. Construction is a job that you can always get back into. It is true that we work a ton of hours and never know exactly when we will be home. I think that this makes time with family even more special. I cherish the time that i spend with my wife and kids.

You say that you have a strong calling, then go for it! If you don't try you will always second guess yourself and always wonder. If you go for it what is the worst that could happen? You could end up doing a job that you love (like I am officer of 8 years). Or you will hate it and go back to construction. In the end this is a choice better made by you and your family not by strangers on LEF!

Good Luck and God Bless!

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JMJ

Thanks for any advice
    There is time for family but not a lot of time especially with the larger type departments. The rookies get stuck working the crappy shifts, and also working the holidays. Is it possible to make time for your family sure, but you have to be willing to make that time.

Talk it over with your family and see what they think. Because as the admin person as my academy said, this job does not just change the life of the person doing the job it also changes the life of the family.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Dudleydoright is offline Officer First Class
    There's no doubt that sometimes the hours are the hardest part of the job. My family has learned to celebrate birthdays and holidays at different times so that we can all be together. You'll plan your days off a long time in advance. A supportive family is a MUST. Take a ride-a-long and see what you think.

dlocke1419 is offline Officer First Class
    I had the same thoughts when my son was born but i decided i would enjoy having a job my son could be proud of me for doing everyday ( not that your isnt).

In the first day of the academy my instructor really had think about being a police officer and the hour we work and the dangerous elements we encounter and how are family would feel about.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Life is hard no matter what. But... do you want life to be filled with regret, too? Nah, go for the gold. Or silver. Whatever they might be sporting there. Family is a huge support and it can be tough, but so worth it, too.

zpd307 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu
    Life is hard no matter what. But... do you want life to be filled with regret, too? Nah, go for the gold. Or silver. Whatever they might be sporting there. Family is a huge support and it can be tough, but so worth it, too.
    what does your wife have to say about this? if you dont have her support.....
    MANNNNN.... YOU MUST BE FAST, BECAUSE I WAS HAULIN ASS WHEN I PASSED YOU!

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I used to frame houses, I live in a city whose climates change like people change their underwear. Sometimes we worked, sometimes we didn't. Rain snow or shine I work.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by zpd307
    what does your wife have to say about this? if you dont have her support.....

My wife is fantastic about my job, but I do know guys that don't have that luxury. Makes life tough. Everything comes back to "the job". If you, like I did and it seems JMJ does, have a real desire to be in this job, then nothing else will do it. You can sugar coat it all you want, but the reality is this job is like no other. You can not possibly compare it to anything else or prep someone for what it is going to be like. Every situation is different like every call is dangerous. You never know when your number is up.

Thread Information