Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Checkman

Thread: Recruitment question

TravisC is offline Rookie

Recruitment question

Hello all, I live in Florida and will be starting the police academy at seminole state on the 3rd of February. I am already worried more about finding a job then anything else and have a question about the people they contact for information on applicants

I recently moved out of my moms house because well.. she is insane. She has several disorders and problems and refuses to believe it and seek help. All my life she has called the police on me for ridiculous things such as, throwing a toy at her when I was around 8 years old, or not wanting to go to school, or even after small screaming fits. A few months back we had an altercation while I was trying to go over to my girlfriends house, she would not let me leave. I don't quite know the laws yet, but I don't think you can do that? So, I simply took my phone out and told her I was recording and she lunges at my phone and falls down, ends up having an injunction against me for domestic.. unreal.. anyways there was no arrest so I should be okay.. at least I hope, even though I'm sure it'll cause me some sort of trouble.. And the best part, when I appear in court to plead my side, the judge simply says I have one mom and to be nicer.

Seriously all my life this woman has made me look like garbage in front of people for things I haven't done and now I'm terrified that when an agency calls her and asks about me she'll tell them all this crap about how i'm a terrible son and person, and I figure since there's no documentation of her having any illnesses, anything I say won't matter. Is there a way I can explain this to an agency so they won't call? It's also gonna be a pain having to explain it every time I apply to an agency if so.

Tipperary is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Any background investigation is exactly that, an investigation. With any investigation while interviewing people, there are three sides to every story (his, hers, and the truth).

My advice (not a subject matter expert by any stretch) depends on your situation, which I see has two possibilities. One: you were part of the problem and are hoping your mother doesn't reveal that; or Two: your mother really was the problem and you are not part of it. I'm going to guess the latter, so my advice will be based on that. If your situation is the first part of what I described, then no amount of feel good advice will help that.

If you really didn't do anything too egregious I would not worry about what she has to say. I would bet the background investigator will speak with her, and I would also bet that they would be used to interviewing someone who has a vendetta against the potential candidate, and be able to take what is said with a grain of salt.

That's simply my opinion based off the limited info you provided. Worst case scenario you apply somewhere and get turned down. Find out why and prepare better and move on to the next one.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You can pick your nose and pick your ass but you can't pick your family. Does your mom have a documented mental history? If that is the case you could make mention of that to your interview officer. If they do the back ground check prior to an interview then you may have to find a way to mention it before they start.
    If there is no documented history and you have no way to prove your side of the story your explanation may be one sided. Either way best of luck to you.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jackrabbit26 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    We have a woman in town who is exactly like the mother you describe. She calls the police because her kids won't get on the school bus, because they won't go to bed, because they are watching something on TV she does not approve of, etc. In addition to calling on her children, she also calls in other ridiculous complaints against neighbors or people she does not like in town. She has absolutely no credibility with us.

Now does your mother call police on other things besides you? (Neighbors, other family members, the UFO flying over the house) If she is crazy and law enforcement have been called numerous times, there are probably reports filed with those agencies who responded. At a minimum there would be a call generated and a disposition given by the officers when they left. Any good background investigator is going to ask you what law enforcement agencies you have had contact with. They will then go to those agencies and find out why officers had contact with you.

BTW, what is an injunction for domestic? Sounds like some kind of protection order. Is this injunction against you still in place? If it is or it has been a fairly recent incident it could be a problem.

TravisC is offline Rookie
    Thank you for the replies so far guys, Lewis, there isn't really any history because she has never wanted to see a doctor, I mean I have texts and voicemails out the wazoo about how she doesn't care if she ruins my future, calling me all sorts of names, hell she even sends them to my dads phone so he has them too.

Jackrabbit, she is pretty similiar but not with the police I mean if her neighbors dog barks for 15 mins she emails her neighborhood HMA, and as for the agencies she has called it would take some digging considering it's been a few different states. As for the Injunction it's basically a temporary restraining order, it lasts 14 days and then you go to court and the "victim" says if they want it to be permanent, if that's the case then it would have been trouble, but she ended up dropping it because I moved out.

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Here's one for you. When I was in the final stage of the hiring process I learned from my dad (who is a retired Idaho State Trooper) that my grandfather (his dad) served time in the 1950's for Manslaughter. It was two days before I was scheduled for my polygraph. I was 33 at the time and I was just learning about this. So at the start of my polygraph I told the examiner . He made note of it and the exam went on. I've been a cop for over 13 years now.
    lewisipso likes this.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisC View Post
    I mean I have texts and voicemails out the wazoo about how she doesn't care if she ruins my future, calling me all sorts of names, hell she even sends them to my dads phone so he has them too.
    That's a documented history and you have a witness that can verify.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information