Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Loud Engines

kimby is offline Banned

Loud Engines

Hi everybody! Cajunguy sent me over here from Officer.com. I like it here. Seems kind of nice and cozy and intimate.

I would like to know what can be done about loud engines. I live a couple of blocks away from a large university, and we get many cars and motorcycles with engines that can be heard from a long ways away, all through the day and night.

The city officers tell me they can't do anything - that their higher priority is citing people without seatbelts (because they have some kind of grant for that), and that they'll be laughed at if they write for noise (though they don't specify who will laugh).

The university police say there's nothing which can be done on campus because they don't have noise meters, so they'll never win in court.

But when I rode with the local sheriff's dept (which does not serve my area), the deputy said writing for noise was not a problem, and he subsequently stopped and cited several drivers for loud engines, one after the other (all of whom wound up having their cars towed for various reasons). And he didn't even have a noise meter.

I would like to know what you think about citing noisy vehicles. Isn't it sad that residents of otherwise peaceful neighborhoods have to be victims of drivers who seem to need to prove their masculinity with noisy engines?

It really makes you wonder what those drivers are lacking which they think their big noise compensates for.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Hey Kim.

Glad to see you made it over.

We've been having loads of fun around here. I hope you will enjoy your stay.

to LEF.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

THE LAW is offline Around the next turn
    See if where u live has a noise ordinance. If they do they should be able to enforce it. Start getting tag numbers and passing them along to the LE in your neighborhood. Probably just your complaints will not do alot so get several other people to complain also.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by THE LAW
    See if where u live has a noise ordinance. If they do they should be able to enforce it. Start getting tag numbers and passing them along to the LE in your neighborhood. Probably just your complaints will not do alot so get several other people to complain also.
    Yep, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Raise enough hell with the police about the noise and get your friends to do so. There is generally a law or ordinance regarding noise or more kids would run around without mufflers altogether.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The city is probably "to big" to worry about nuisance things like that.

Get the neighborhood together to complain. See if you have a community resource or community policing officer that's assigned to your area, and talk to them. And as already said, get license numbers and vehicle descriptions for problem vehicles.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Signal_W Guest
    cajunguy here is your rep points

Look at your rep power

Deal For Rep Whores

Verified LEO
    Hell, Sig, kewl. I'm scared of me now.

One of these days I'm gonna have to take some time to try and understand all that rep point stuff. Obviously I must not be one of them there rep point Ho's.

Can I spend all those points somewhere, or do I just get a toaster at some point?
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,

kimby is offline Banned
    Okay, I will call on Tuesday and see if we have a noise ordinance.

The cars on my street are generally going very fast (NEVER MIND THAT IT'S A 25 MPH ZONE!!! ), so I'm not sure if I can read the tags, but I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy
    Obviously I must not be one of them there rep point Ho's.
    And I am obviously a rep point virgin.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby
    And I am obviously a rep point virgin.

Welllll, now. We'll just have to be working on that, won't we?

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,

kimby is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy
    Welllll, now. We'll just have to be working on that, won't we?
    This won't involve crawling under anybody's desk, will it?

Thanks guys for the rep points (even though I'm still somehow at zero. )

Verified LEO
    Now, did I say ANYTHING about a desk?

I don't really comprestand the whole rep points/rep power thingy either. I show to have (I think) like 698 rep points, but 88 rep power.

Whatever all that means. (And I belong to like a dozen different forums, and STILL don't understand it.) I must really not be much of a rep whore.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    I have another idea..

What is your state's requirement for emissions? I know all of the ghey ricers around here pull their cats when installing overpriced 4 inch exhausts on their 17 second cars. Just a thought.

I've been known to crawl under a ghetto sled to check for illegal exhaust/emmisions equipment mods.

FishTail Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktastic
    I've been known to crawl under a ghetto sled to check for illegal exhaust/emmisions equipment mods.
    Ditto. I carry a copy of our Construction & Use rules with me too...

kimby is offline Banned
    Thanks guys. I really haven't pursued this the way I should. I guess I just feel a little funny about bugging the police.

I gotta take some notes from this thread, and then call the station and ask some questions. I will look into it this week.

Thread Information