Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Tactical Spanish

Had a van full of illegals the other night and not one of them spoke English. Couldn't find a interpreter to save my life.
    Anyone know of a patrol friendly book/poster/paper for Spanish/English translation. I know in hospitals they have a chart for patients who cant speak that has all kinds of phrases on it and the patient just points to what they want to say. Anything out there for LEO like that?
    Peace through superior firepower.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    If you have about a $1,000 to spare: http://galls.com/style.html?assort=g...AP444&cat=3843

If not, I know most law enforcement supply stores carry a pocket spanish for law enforcement officers guide.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Kinda like a cue ball, tha harder ya hit 'em, the more English you get outta 'em!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How about "Spanish for Law Enforcement" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...lance&n=283155
    or "Quick Spanish for Law Enforcement" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...lance&n=283155
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Fiveocommando is offline I need more cowbell!!
    Sounds like you guys need some bilingual officers. I work in a town of 150,000 that has a large hispanic population so bilingual officers, such as myself, are at a premium. Most departments are offering bonuses to officers who speak Spanish due to the demand for them.
    Honest, I only had two officer.....

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just call one of your partners to your location and causually talk about the situation with him. Make sure that all of the hispanics can hear you. As you are talking to your partner just say, The one with the untied shoe is going to jail. The one that looks down is your new interepter. Trust me this works.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

hpd582 is offline Rookie
    The worst thing I've found out about trying to use those "survival spanish" books, is once you say one word, EVERYONE thinks you are as fluent as they are.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have a pocket spanish patrol guide.

I like it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0
    Just call one of your partners to your location and causually talk about the situation with him. Make sure that all of the hispanics can hear you. As you are talking to your partner just say, The one with the untied shoe is going to jail. The one that looks down is your new interepter. Trust me this works.
    Yep, that works a lot. I've used that before too. A lot of them can speak a lot better English than they let on. Pretending not to know any is just another way of screwing with you.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by copiceman15601
    Had a van full of illegals the other night and not one of them spoke English. Couldn't find a interpreter to save my life.
    Anyone know of a patrol friendly book/poster/paper for Spanish/English translation. I know in hospitals they have a chart for patients who cant speak that has all kinds of phrases on it and the patient just points to what they want to say. Anything out there for LEO like that?
    There's a blue one that's pretty good (sorry, I don't have the title) -- but there's no substitute for actually learning enough Spanish to get by if you're dealing with them a lot. Check into a law enforcement oriented Spanish class, or find a sympathetic community college instructor who'll work with you outside of class. You'll find that most of what's taught in a traditional "Conversational Spanish" type of class isn't very useful, because odds are that the folks you're talking to won't speak the same Spanish you learn there. Most of the folks you'll likely talk to are uneducated; it'd be like a person who learned British English trying to understand some ghetto gang banger hip hop. And the ordinary classes just don't seem to include useful phrases like "Alto! O yo dispare!" or "Ud. esta arrestada porque..."

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    The only spanish I care to learn is.

Una Cerveza por favor

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    I took a couple of Spanish courses in the community college. I don't know much but I know enough to get around.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    i recently aquired some good survival spanish info for law enforcement pm me your address and i will get it together and snail mail it to you.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Repeat after me...

El queso esta viejo y enmojecido.
    No se mueva.
    Suelte el arma.
    Esta arrestado, puto.

nitestokker is offline Banned

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Kinda like a cue ball, tha harder ya hit 'em, the more English you get outta 'em!
    No shit! I have found from experience that they speak real good english when they hear the words "judge", "jail", "arrest", "fine" or "bail". I'm dead serious! Most of the time they pony up and start to speak the king's language when you use those words!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Does saying "Hey Bill, get in touch with Bob over at Immigration..." to your cohort have much of an effect?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    No shit! I have found from experience that they speak real good english when they hear the words "judge", "jail", "arrest", "fine" or "bail". I'm dead serious! Most of the time they pony up and start to speak the king's language when you use those words!
    Hey!

No fair stealing my magic instant English class!

It's amazing how fast "no habla" becomes "I don't wanna go the fucking jail!"

Of course, the ones I've had fun with are when they don't realize I speak Spanish. I've sat there and listened to them tell someone that they told me he wasn't there on a warrant service...so use a different name. Or, I've been talking to them in Spanish, they've been doing the "no habla" until I point out that I just happen to be speaking Spanish! The "oh crap...now what" look is priceless!

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    You may check with RCTA (regional counterdrug training academy) I have been to the one in Mississippi and know they have a spanish for police officers class. I believe there are other facilities around the country. Ran by the military so no cost to you or your dept.

kjlaw is offline Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    http://www.dma.state.mn.us/counterdr...ngResCours.htm

This site has links to all of the counterdrug training academies one in FL,MS,IA,PA and WI.

BE SAFE out there and remember a casket is always hotter than your vest!!!

BMBDAWG is offline Officer First Class
    for future reference, just say the following...

"pantalones abajo-y-separe su nalgas...means halt police officer.

Ric
    bmbdawg@yahoo.com
    DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF

"ATTITUDE" - I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% on how I react to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information