Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Hillman is offline Rookie

Part Time Officer Etiquette

Hello folks

I've been reading some other Law Enforcement sites but feel most comfortable asking my noobish questions here, I think I'm more likely to get real answers than sharp objects thrown at me, like some of the other sites.

I've been recently hired by a small Massachusetts town as a Part Time officer (the entire department is made up of part time officers, but the Chief is very proactive about training, taking extra classes and such.), and wanted to ask some questions about Part Time Officer Etiquette. From reading sites specifically dealing with Mass. (like masscops .com), the general impression I get is P/T is about one step above pond scum to many full timers, yet at the same time, they stress the importance of, for instance, when you pass another officer from another department or town alone on a road at night engaged in a traffic stop, stopping and asking the officer if they are all set. Would most officers be alright with a P/T officer doing this, or should the "pond scum" keep moving?

Also, if anyone is familiar with Mass. Reserve/Intermittent Academy, what other classes or training should I seek first, to help fill the gap between the full time Academy and the R/I Academy. I want to do the best job I can, whatever that takes. In Mass. the P/T route is one of the better ways to get in to Full Time work later on, or so I hear, but in the meantime, I don't want to be one of those guys out on the road with a gun and a car with pretty lights who doesn't know what he's doing.

Oh I should specify, in my department, P/T officers do it all except homicide and things of that nature, which we call the State Police in for, and we usually work alone, with the nearest backup 15-20 minutes away.

Thank you for your answers.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Sounds like you're a 'real' cop to me.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    Sounds like you're a 'real' cop to me.

Agreed. Hillman, Private Message our Administrative Moderator, Chris2001, to see if you meet the LEO Verification requirements, so we can give you access to the private, Verified LEO area.

Magnum440 is offline Older Than Dirt
    Verified LEO
    Welcome to LEF
    Facta non verba
    "The good Lord set definite limits on man's wisdom, but set no limits on his stupidity and that's not fair!" Konrad Adenauer,

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Well, going by MN's guidelines for POST licensing, yes, you are a real cop. And no, your not pond scum. I know several PT licensed cops in my area that I would rather have back me up on calls than FT officers I know.

Also, I don't think anyone around here thinks of part time cops as "pond scum".

There are some officers that just think they're Rambo and don't need backup. I personally won't refuse backup. If you back up an officer on a TS, don't be worried about what they'll think. Just do what's right.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    welcome........and I agree that part time cops are real......and not pond scum...........and I appreciate the help from the "part time cops" and reserves.....etc greatly
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

x5150x is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    You are a cop and can back me up anytime...also, I would extend you the same professional courtesy as any other brother/sister cop. Stay safe.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillman
    Hello folks

I've been reading some other Law Enforcement sites but feel most comfortable asking my noobish questions here, I think I'm more likely to get real answers than sharp objects thrown at me, like some of the other sites.

I've been recently hired by a small Massachusetts town as a Part Time officer (the entire department is made up of part time officers, but the Chief is very proactive about training, taking extra classes and such.), and wanted to ask some questions about Part Time Officer Etiquette. From reading sites specifically dealing with Mass. (like masscops .com), the general impression I get is P/T is about one step above pond scum to many full timers, yet at the same time, they stress the importance of, for instance, when you pass another officer from another department or town alone on a road at night engaged in a traffic stop, stopping and asking the officer if they are all set. Would most officers be alright with a P/T officer doing this, or should the "pond scum" keep moving?
    Thank you for your answers.
    It all depends. Would you be in uniform? Armed?

To me, I don't want a reserve backing me up. I have plenty in my department and others to do that. On a routine traffic stop, no.

Now if you feel that there is something else up (you see something that is an officer safety issue for they other officer, or if he is doing something that has increased risk, FSTs as an example (its always a good idea to have back up for those) go ahead.

But I'm not a fan of a person stopping in civilian clothes and approching my stop. Just my opinion.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Just to add, in a very rural area I could see a benefit.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

OneInCustody57 is offline Behind the mirrored shades ;)
    Hillman
    As a Sgt for a similar small town I agree with most of the posts ..a cop is a cop regardless of status.
    Who caught ya ridin dirty?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My views on posts or any other content herein are not the views of my department or anyone associated with it. My ramblings shall be protected by the 1st Amendment.....if that means anything.

Hillman is offline Rookie
    Thank you for all the responses and the welcome. I'm just trying to make sure I don't step on anyone's toes, but at the same time don't leave someone hanging. And I don't think I would stop and check unless I was in uniform, unless there was obviously a safety issue involved.

I'm a part time cop too, but where I live, almost all cops are part-time. I don't care what the "time"status of a fellow officer is when they back me up, as long as they're capable and not bitching because I stopped someone.
    Peace through superior firepower.

Kimble is offline Fact: sharks love cheeseburgers
    Verified LEO
    I'm a part time, or reserve, cop too. Full time guys around here don't give two shits about whether your full time or not, they just appreciate the backup when they need it. Here, reserves and fulltimers go through the same hiring process (minus the civil service test for part timers since we aren't paid), the same instruction at the academy (though the academy is every other weekend for 13 months for parttimers instead of 12 weeks straight), the same firearms qualifications, etc.

Same uniform, same badge, same quality of backup. Only difference is one gets paid to do it fulltime, the other gets no compensation financially and does it parttime.
    "I'm the only one in this room, that I know of, professional enough carry this Glock 40." -Lee Paige, DEA (just before shooting himself in the leg)

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed" Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    I'm a part-timer, I work 42+ hours a week 6 months out of the year then as needed during the winter months. In my department we are treated just like any other, go through just as stringent of an academy carry and do the exact same job. I back up full-timers, I back up part-timers, i've had troopers swing by on a stop and check in and i've done the same for them. There is no ettiquette you need to follow, do what you think is right, no need to stop in civies for anothers stop unless the crap is hitting the fan, whenever I see flashing lights I slow down and just glance over to make sure that has nothing to do with me being a "part-timer" but rather has more to do with me knowing the same is done by others when they see me out on a stop.

Good luck.
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Yeah......I can see it now. I'm getting my ass kicked on the side of the road and someone stops to help. I don't care if he is full time, part time, Joe Shit the Ragman or the Pillsbury Doughboy. As long as he's willing to help it doesn't matter who it is. Anyone gonna tell this guy no cause he isn't a fulltimer? Didn't think so.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    I agree. If I don't have time to win the fight myself, I sure as fuck don't have time to check your timecard.

Thread Information