Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ruh
    Ruh is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I plan to carry a PR-24 in my car with me once I am out on the road on my own. Not sure if I will get the expandable or not though. Like others have stated, I would only break it out when getting to the scene of a disturbance, other than that it would stay with my bag in my cruiser.
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

"Crime does pay, in brass and lead."

This is myspace.

Cujo is offline Officer First Class
    Used to carry a 24, but now I'm an ASP instructor. I'd keep the cert. though, it can't hurt.
    Pax
    Cujo

Ivory is offline Grrr I hate not working for a jail.....
    isn't the pr-24 the tool that all of the old cops used with the extra handle stick of off one side?

Attachment 309

HAHAHA joking fella's
    Last edited by Ivory; 06-16-06 at 01:25 AM.
    Life is a fleeting memory,
    It come and goes,
    But one thing will always remain.
    That is History.
    ~Erin~

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyJailer
    isn't the pr-24 the tool that all of the old cops used with the extra handle stick of off one side?

Attachment 309

HAHAHA joking fella's
    *cringes* I'm also an MEB instructor (Monadnock's version of the ASP) but I'll still take a PR-24 any day.

Of course, I also know a few things you don't get in the basic course. I save those for either particularly recalcitrant offenders or really recalcitrant students.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    AMEN, Brother! Best way to clear a bar fight without using any force at all! They hear that sound and scatter like Oklahoma cockroaches on a kitchen floor at 0300hrs when you flip the light on! Don't ask.

As far as the '24, I guess it's an old-school thang. I get a call of shots fired at OH-Dark-Thirty and my boss shows up in sweats with a six-shooter and a '24. No vest (he has never worn one to my knowledge), no cuffs, no pepper spray----he's clearing the dark building with his baton out and his gun holstered!..........I'm strapped to the heels with my SWAT shit sneakin' and freakin' in the shadows and he walks past me, turns on the lights and says, "Get your ass out here!" Dude gives up and walks out. Sometimes the John Wayne shit just wins out over training, experience and the odds of getting killed!
    My mentor (may he rest in peace) was my Intermediate Instructor. He was old school like that. I think the real trick of experience is knowing WHEN to get all John Wayne. The world is a different place now, though. But I'm glad we can still remember our heroes and I hope we can live up to the responsibility they passed on to us.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    A PR what? j/k Everyone around here carries oc, asp, and tasers!
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyJailer

Attachment 309

HAHAHA joking fella's
    Gets his walker out and chasess deputyjailer around the room...I have a few more "old cop" things as well....and they work great, lol
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Let me tell you a story...Around 1980 or so I was trained on a PR-24,by an instructor who felt like if the class ended without a broken bone(on the students) than he had failed.The guy was a nut!! BUT he knew his stuff. A few months later while backing a 108 (officer needs assistance ---like yesterday!!!)I rolled up to a bar to see the officer on the wrong end of a parking lot fight as he was on the bottom and the bad guy (6'3" 285 lbs of muscle)on top.I grab the PR and approach and come down HARD on his shoulder blades with the long end along my forearm as instructed. Did not phase bad guy,even tho I came down with all my weight (240 at the time),I step back say aww shit,and grab the end of the long end ,and play a little baseball with the bad guys head !!! He looks at me as if to say "you didn't do what it felt like you did ,DID YOU ? and then goes nighty night. After we get the guy cuffed and loaded I look at the PR and notice it now has a very nice curve in it about the same shape as the BGs' shoulder blades.If anyone is interested and wants a PR-24 I last saw one in the dumpster behind a certain bar where I last used it...

Detective7653 is offline Police Detective
    Yeah I am going to have to agree with everyone else. I trained on it have never used or owned one. The department I belong to know will not allow us to use them. Only the asp. But know we have tazers. I would Taz someone before I use my baton.

Plus I always have a flashlight in my hand when I work the road.

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    There's a couple left on my department that still carry the PR 24 and I'm one of them. The other 500 carry the ASP.

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    That's good for him and everything, but when other people's lives are involved he's a straight up dumbass John Wayne got shot at with blanks, his friends didn't have to carry his flag draped coffin.
    I agree 100 percent.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Our department uses them, but heres the catch. We switched to the expandable version, but we lost our only 2 cert. instructors so we had to take the side handle off, making in essence a straight baton. I use the ASP and while it may not the total hitting power of the 24, I can use it in a lot of other places that the 24 would have broken bones easily.

AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    I've used both and still prefer the PR24. I know the ASP is is easier to carry and much more compact but the PR24 is still my preference. In my opinion it is much more effective for scrimmage lines, riot control, etc. Also, I like the leverage you can get on it. But, like I said, this is just my preference and opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information