Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer

Does Anyone Still Use the PR-24?

I was just wondering if it would be worth it to renew my instructor certification. I found it to be an excellent tool back when I worked in the seedier areas of town.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    All of us Veterans Affairs Cops still use the PR-24. I havent had any need for it though, I would rather use the OC first. We do train with it quite often though.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    We can certify with it at my department and use it. First chance I get, I'm going to qualify with it. It's one hell of a psychological tool. Lot's of bullshit stops when someone breaks out the PR-24

JohnnyRotten is offline Rentacop trainer
    Especially the expandable. Almost as much psych factor as racking a 12 ga.
    "My motivation is slipping, people bug me, and I'm tired of wasting my time on drivel."

- Rep. Otis Pike (D - NY)

FishTail Guest
    I'm trained in it but we don't carry it anymore.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    We don't even train with these anymore. We use ASP

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten
    Especially the expandable. Almost as much psych factor as racking a 12 ga.
    AMEN, Brother! Best way to clear a bar fight without using any force at all! They hear that sound and scatter like Oklahoma cockroaches on a kitchen floor at 0300hrs when you flip the light on! Don't ask.

As far as the '24, I guess it's an old-school thang. I get a call of shots fired at OH-Dark-Thirty and my boss shows up in sweats with a six-shooter and a '24. No vest (he has never worn one to my knowledge), no cuffs, no pepper spray----he's clearing the dark building with his baton out and his gun holstered!..........I'm strapped to the heels with my SWAT shit sneakin' and freakin' in the shadows and he walks past me, turns on the lights and says, "Get your ass out here!" Dude gives up and walks out. Sometimes the John Wayne shit just wins out over training, experience and the odds of getting killed!

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    I use it for CDU.
    This message was brought to you by Tampons. We
    aren't the best thing in the world but we are right up
    there next to it.

To them its always 'scary and aggressive' driving. To us its at times a matter of life and death." -LawnMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmYie3bB3OU

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker
    ...and he walks past me, turns on the lights and says, "Get your ass out here!" Dude gives up and walks out. Sometimes the John Wayne shit just wins out over training, experience and the odds of getting killed!

That's good for him and everything, but when other people's lives are involved he's a straight up dumbass John Wayne got shot at with blanks, his friends didn't have to carry his flag draped coffin.

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    I was issued one and wasn't going to shell out the change for an expandable, is it always on me? Nah but If i'm going to be in a crowd situation i'll throw it in the ring, never hurts to have.
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up I say yes!

You should renew any instructor certification if for no other reason than to have on a resume. As for the PR a lot of guys in my dept. still carry and use on a regular basis. Most use the expandable but still a few xts's around.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    That's good for him and everything, but when other people's lives are involved he's a straight up dumbass John Wayne got shot at with blanks, his friends didn't have to carry his flag draped coffin.
    Apparently, you're not a real cop who has worked with an "old-school cop". Because that's what I was getting at and security guards calling my mentors dumbasses is not cool. I realize that you have to make up for your WalMart "loss prevention" status by having a spooky avatar and blessing people with your wisdom, but it might serve your part-time, piss-in-the-bathroom detective ass better to render some respect and have a sense of humor.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    hm....Virginian, nitestokker....I can see both sides to your argument. Let's call it a truce and stop here.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Terminator is offline BANNED

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    hm....Virginian, nitestokker....I can see both sides to your argument. Let's call it a truce and stop here.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    +2
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I would renew the certification.....we only carry asp
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Thumbs down

Sorry on my part. Just having a bad week and didn't mean to take it out on anyone. Sorry to everyone. Peace.

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?

Talking

What's a PR24?

me again is offline Is it pronounced whore, ho or whoooaaa?
    I remember when PR24s came out -- they were all the rage. Now nobody carrys them. Then we switched to ASP batons and they were all the rage. Then we came out with OC spray and it was all the rage. Now we have Tasers -- and they are all the rage!!!

coptillidrop is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, we still use them. Most of the area PD's went to the ASP, but we stayed with the PR-24. I still think its a good tool for fights and disturbances. Most of the training holds are useless in battle, but I always liked the handcuffing armlock on badguys who tried to keep their arms in the front when handcuffing them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information