Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    The first place I worked was a 95% black community.....so I had to racially profile by writing every white person I stopped.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

lepdford is offline K-9 Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyFourteen
    The first place I worked was a 95% black community.....so I had to racially profile by writing every white person I stopped.
    That is what bothers me about this system put in place, courtesy of the NAACP...It effects the decisions that Officers make as to what enforcement action they are going to take, and it shouldn't.

What should have happened years ago, is if an Officer was found to be a racist, after an IA, They should have been disiplined or terminated. Then the handful of problem children that were in LE would have been dealt with and not the rest of us through out the nation.

I have to make a conscious effort (at times) to not allow racial profiling laws and safegaurds to effect my actions when dealing with minorites...especially when then start screaming that I just stopped them because they are a minority...If they need to be hooked and booked for a violation...they go!

We also have to include RP info on our citations, collect and document the data, and give reports to council...What a load of crap, huh?
    K-9 When the door pops...The bullshit stops!

Go ahead run...I'll even give you a head start!

When the public needs help, they call the Police.
    When the Police needs help, they call SWAT.
    When SWAT needs help, they call K-9!

Duty not Reward

badboys1517 is offline Rookie
    In Ma, we have a racial profile form that we have to fill out on any officer initiated contact with vehicles. We're required to put down our dept code, officer ID#, case # if any, date, time, race, gender, age of driver, number of occupants, plate #, reason for stop, length of stop, results of stop(citation, arrest, written/verbal warning), if vehicle was towed or searched, and if searched why and what was found. This is all because of some bullshit study put together by a bunch of liberal anti-police college professors at NorthEastern University. The Boston Police Patrolman's association and others filed a suit to keep our identities off the form. Guess what? They lost.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I wish you guys would be quiet!!!!! Down here we stop,cite or warn,go 10-8 1 citation or 10-8 verbal and go on to the next one.Lets not give any of our admins ideas pleasssssseeeee.Also LT had it write ,get it in writing!!

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    No requirement that I know of. There is a spot on my citation page for race, but I don't fill it out half the time cuz the refer to hispanics as "white". There is a choice for white, asian, black, and indian. Gotta love NC. We are so modern and stuff.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I was putting "M" in the race block for Mexican, but was told that I need to put either "H" for Hispanic or "W" for White. No more "M's"! (The judge thought it was funny)
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    when i worked in chicago's englewood district( which is 99 % black ) i always laughed when the people i stopped acuse me of racial profiling.
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    I think keeping track of the race of the offender is dangerous. If my department suddenly made us do that I would refuse, and if asked why I'd say "Why does it matter?"
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    Quote Originally Posted by bird1
    when i worked in chicago's englewood district( which is 99 % black ) i always laughed when the people i stopped acuse me of racial profiling.
    Yeah. I love how you see a car in the distance speeding, activate your radar and see it travelling 80 mph, and its 3 am. But somehow you have x-ray vision and knew the driver was black and thats the only reason you pulled em over.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

K9skipper is offline Sr. Deputy
    On our citations, we have to put all of that. But, in the Oregon computer system, its only Black White Asian Indian or Unknown. All Hispanics get listed as White, and there is no other cultural diversity entries to use....And, you are not allowed to ask the person their race, but you have to guess. On our investigative stops card, it's the same. A few months ago, a local agency was reviewed by a citizen group and the local paper called it 'racial profiling'...go figure.

We have the same damned problem as most of the rest of you....whenever my Agency clears an enforcement stop, a reported "Suspicious vehicle" stop, or a pedestrian take-on, we have to enter an "E" card into the computer....race, sex, age, and disposition.

It isn't so much whether you work in a predominately black, hispanic, or asian area, it's what you DID during the encounter.

Did you search the vehicle/person?
    Did you issue a citation?
    Did you issue a warning?

The people who keep stats on this crap weren't satisfied with looking at 1000's of citations...they wanted to see what, EXACTLY was being done AFTER contact was made.

All this Political Correctness would be completely unnecessary, had a few Cops in a few agencies simply played by the rules instead of shortcutting car stops and take-on's where people just "looked dirty."

The ONLY good thing I got out of our "Racial Profiling" course (Mandatory throughout California since 2002) was the "Individulaized suspicion" and the "Necessity to articulate" rules....both of which I'd been doing for years (much to the chegrin of some co-workers.)
    I felt pretty validated by that stuff.....

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    In VA, our summonses have a block for race. I consider it a physical descriptor, so you get what I think you look like. Officially, it's only W/B/A/I/O, but I will put H for Hispanic (though you could argue for Indian) But DMV doesn't include the driver's race -- not even self-reported! I kinda think that detail is important; would it make a difference if you're talking to John Smith, DOB 1/1/84, B/M, Brown hair & eyes...and the DMV return ('cause he can't find his license or left his wallet at home...) was for John Smith, DOB 1/1/84, W/M?

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Good point, jks. I think I am going to boycott the dang thing. Everyone is either Unknown or other from now on. And incidently, when I get fired for playing with the clerks office, does anyone have job openings?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu
    Good point, jks. I think I am going to boycott the dang thing. Everyone is either Unknown or other from now on. And incidently, when I get fired for playing with the clerks office, does anyone have job openings?

Mine will be open soon, I'm walking the plank as we speek!! It's going to happen I'm sure I just don't know when. Hopefully I find something before I get eatin by the sharks!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

STJ407 is offline Rookie
    Colorado started something similar a couple years ago. Our Dept. requires a business card, summons or written warning given to the driver. Being a resort town we don't issue a lot of tickets, so the officers give a lot of business cards along with a verbal warning.

The business card have a note printed on the back, "Call (number) with any comments about this traffic stop positive or negative". We set up a line with voicemail to retrieve the messages.

To our surprise (mostly mine) the comments from the business cards have been all positive with the exception of one complaint which was investigated and false.

There are some upsides to all this racial profiling.

dla4079 is offline Corporal
    Verified C/O
    I am so lucky, in my job we don't profile. They are all the same: CONVICTS, LOL.

Capt. D. Larimore
    NTISF Gang Unit

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I don't have to do any of that. Just tell dispatch if I issued a citation, and the citation number. Otherwise I just say "10-98 zulu" at the end of my stop.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    This is all very odd to me. On our citations here in KY, it has blocks for persons name, race, dob, ssn etc....as well as vehicle, plate, state plate is reg. in, color, and type (2d,4d etc)

Never heard of doing the percieved race thing...thats just inane.

Whenever we clear a stop, we will say 10-8, Citation issued (or a Code 1), a written/verbal 4 (warning) and if we got consent to search. Our dispatchers have the info in regards to race of the person and that doesnt come into play unless we are looking for descrips for a warrant, attempt to locate etc..
    Last edited by armygrnt502; 06-13-06 at 02:39 AM.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by armygrnt502
    This is all very odd to me. On our citations here in KY, it has blocks for persons name, race, dob, ssn etc....as well as vehicle, plate, state plate is reg. in, color, and type (2d,4d etc)

Never heard of doing the percieved race thing...thats just inane.

Whenever we clear a stop, we will say 10-8, Citation issued (or a Code 1), a written/verbal 4 (warning) and if we got consent to search. Our dispatchers have the info in regards to race of the person and that doesnt come into play unless we are looking for descrips for a warrant, attempt to locate etc..
    You do the "percieved race" thing every time. Generally, it's pretty clear. Let's use Tiger Woods for a moment, as an example. I'm not going to mark him other; I'm going to go with "B/M." If he's got a problem with that...I'm basing it on his physical traits, not an in-depth genetic history. Or...a black Puerto Rican. (They really do exist!) They're not going down on my paper as "H/M" even if they claim themselves to be Latino; I'm calling them a "B/M".

Sometimes, especially with people of African American heritage who once might have been called "high yellow", or people with mixed Asian and African American or Caucasion heritage, it's hard to tell. I ONCE (and ONLY ONCE) asked someone. Fortunately, they were understanding. But it was also clear that there's no really good way to give someone a ticket and ask them what their race is...

dragnet511 is offline I want a Hemi!!!
    Missouri A.G. requires us to submit yearly racial profiling reports showing age, race, reason for stop, disposition, residence, if searched and for how long, why searched, what was found, etc. They then publish a report for the public. The county I work is white. Mostly family farms that have been around for generations. Very few businesses to attract outside people to move here. But, we have two major highways that have people travelling to the larger metro areas (St Louis, Chicago, Kansas City, Twin Cities). We generate several arrests from traffic stops for warrants, no D.L., drugs, etc. The problem arises that we stop very few minorites for the simple fact that we are more likely to make contact with whites because of the population in this area. For example, if we stop 1000 whites during the year and 200 are arrested as a result of the stop for what ever reason. Now add if we stop 100 minorities and 50 of them were arrested for those same reasons. On the surface it would appear we are racists. But, the A.G. is kind enough to let us submit a seperate report for those stops explaining why they were arrested. Who besides us and the A.G.'s office is going to take the time to read it?

Racial Profiling is just like any other statistic. You can interpret it anyway you want to suit your agenda.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information