Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer

Regarding Racial Profiling.....

At our department, when we clear a traffic stop, we have to enter the driver's race, age, and if we searched the vehicle or not. Seems like such a waste of time and I can't help but think it could be used against us at some point. Any other department have to supply this kind of info with each and every traffic stop you make?

Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class
    That is such a load of crap. I feel so bad that in 2006 that race is still such an issue.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by AGalCop
    At our department, when we clear a traffic stop, we have to enter the driver's race, age, and if we searched the vehicle or not. Seems like such a waste of time and I can't help but think it could be used against us at some point. Any other department have to supply this kind of info with each and every traffic stop you make?
    we have to put on there name, race (that we first percieved the person to be), year of birth, year/model/make of vehicle used, if we searched the car/driver/passenger, and if the search was by consent or "other" circumstances. How do you think I feel? I work in an all black hood on midnights, am a white copper all I stop is blacks so my file looks wonderful.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    our citations have all that info.....if we "give a warning" we have to clear with a code meaning male/female and what race.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    "we have to put on there name, race (that we first percieved the person to be),"

Is dumbshit allowed?

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    "we have to put on there name, race (that we first percieved the person to be),"

Is dumbshit allowed?

I wish, I do stop a lot of eskimos though, its the puffy furry collared coats that confuse me.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    We had to do that in my last department which was the first major dept. in the country to be forced, no BLACKMAILED by the Feds into a Consent Decree. WE had to do a traffic stop report, a form of just fill in the boxes type- ADdress of stop, plate, # of occupants, reason for stop, RACE of DRIVER only, License # {optional} name optional, and a big space for remarks.
    IT WILL bite you in the ass in the future bcause it doesnt take into account where you work. I worked in a predominately black area so reason {ha the feds dont reason} would dictate my stops would be on black people. OH KNOW Iam a RACIST........ Know what it made us do??? FInd a white person and no matter how small or silly his violation was, we HAD to cite him to even our stats........
    Its all a crock
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    My department was asked to do it. Our chief said no thanks, we detain based on PC not race.

Verified LEO
    The Communist State of Illinois passed a law that all Law Enforcement Agencies performing traffic stops will fill out these cards.

FishTail Guest
    Gee, let's see...any investigative stop, search or traffic stop we need to put down what we perceive their race to be and ask them to nominate their race from 16 + 1 choices (+1 being not stated).

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    You're right, it will be used against you. They're making a fuss here because the data came out and found we were stopping African Americans 10.4% of our traffic stops and there is only a population of 6.4%. Can you believe that shit?

IMO, it's much more of a socio-economic thing than racial. A good portion of our African American population are poor. Poor people are much more likely to be involved in crime. In uniform, I worked both our poor black neighborhoods and then transferred precincts and worked an even poorer white one. In both, I made traffic stops on people who looked like they might be involved in crime. I think most cops think that way.

The good news is that the general public here couldn't care less. The exception of course, is the shrill ultra liberals and the self appointed leaders of the African American community. It was big news for one day and then faded away.

What was kinda funny was our last chief, who was black, was put on admin leave after he was sued for sexual harassment of a female clerk after they had a clandestine sexual affair. A white woman was named to replace him and she removed a black woman asst chief and replaced her with another white woman. The black woman would have been fired years ago if she had been white and male when she slashed the tires of her estranged spouse and made death threats against him. But I digress, the black community was upset when all this happened because they would no longer be represented in the chief's office. I guess they though their 6.4& should be have 33.3%representation!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

zone4_car is offline Remember, the eyes of the world are upon you
    My department started filling out traffic stop reports about 2 years ago. I dont have a problem with it because its doesnt take long to do. The reports that we fill out has cleared one officer on my shift accused of racial profiling by the NAACP. Captain pulled his reports and the talley showed more whites were pulled than blacks and other races.
    WAR IS AN EVIL THING, BUT TO SUBMIT TO THE DICTATION OF OTHER STATES IS WORSE...
    FREEDOM, IF WE HOLD FAST TO IT, WILL ULTIMATELY RESTORE OUR LOSSES...
    BUT SUBMISSION WILL MEAN PERMANENT LOSS OF ALL THAT WE VALUE...
    TO YOU WHO CALL YOURSELVES MEN OF PEACE...
    I SAY: YOU ARE NOT SAFE UNLESS YOU HAVE MEN OF ACTION ON YOUR SIDE...

--THUCYDIDES

AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    I think your friend is an exception to the rule. With all the gang shootings, robberies, etc, there are many times our tactical unit is ordered (through the Chief) to concentrate on certain 'gangs'. We may spend weeks on end just pulling over people related to a certain gang, which means they are all either, Hispanic, Black, Asian, White.....depending on the gang. So, where does that leave us in this racial profiling? We have a crew of 3-4 black males that are hammering us with armed robberies, I think they have committed around 30 so far. Guess where we were ordered to focus our attention? I just wonder if we are called on it, will our admin back us?

Verified LEO
    I just wonder if we are called on it, will our admin back us?
    I bet you can guess the answer to that one!

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

FishTail Guest
    Written orders...

Verified LEO
    Like I said here it is the law and a misdemeanor if you dont do it.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I just wonder if we are called on it, will our admin back us?
    If you can articulate PC, they have no choice.

doobiej is offline It just pays for beer money with dead goats
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56
    Like I said here it is the law and a misdemeanor if you dont do it.
    Same here. Its for racial profiling. We also have to take an hour class every year for racial profiling or we can lose our post certification.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by doobiej
    Same here. Its for racial profiling. We also have to take an hour class every year for racial profiling or we can lose our post certification.
    See here is the problem I have with that, I am a white officer, and I work in an all black community on Midnights. If I wanted to pull over a white guy he would be in a squad car.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSwitek
    If you can articulate PC, they have no choice.
    The trouble is, if the heat comes down it will because of % of minorities stopped, not one particular traffic stop. Articulating PC for all the stops including the ones you don't remember are kinda impossible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information