Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kimby is offline Banned

Is IA Really That Bad?

I have always been led to believe that people in IA, especially IA brass, are basically out to get police officers and cannot under any circumstances be trusted. However, I have met an IA Lt. who actually seems very nice, and extremely supportive of the officers in her dept. Really. When speaking of her officers, she is like a mother lion defending her cubs. If I intended to file a complaint, I would be very afraid.

It makes me wonder whether IA gets an unfair rap. Or are IA Lt's like the one in my city very rare? If anyone would share their experiences with and opinions on IA, it would be much appreciated.

Jay7376 is offline Master Officer
    I had an apple once that was bruised...are all apples bruised?
    I'm a PUBLIC SERVANT, so I'm not permitted to use my own judgement in any way.

katiemh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay7376

I'm boycotting apples now!

kimby is offline Banned
    Hmmm, not sure exactly what you mean. But if you're saying that one good IA Lt. doesn't mean they're all good, I understand that. That's why I was wanting to hear some experiences and opinions so I can get a clearer picture. Thanks.

Jay7376 is offline Master Officer
    I was also saying that just b/c some IA are bad, doesn't mean that they are all bad.

My PD does not even have IA, the Chief and/or LT investigate any claims of misconduct that come in.
    I'm a PUBLIC SERVANT, so I'm not permitted to use my own judgement in any way.

kimby is offline Banned
    I was also saying that just b/c some IA are bad, doesn't mean that they are all bad.
    Oh, okay. Gotcha.

G19LEO is offline Rookie
    Depends who you work for.

My last PD...oh man(small pd, BRASS to patrol ratio was too high!!

Current PD, no problems. The department is large enough they only worry about actual problems.
    1*

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Where's Luvmcl when we need him...

kimby is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G19LEO
    My last PD...oh man(small pd, BRASS to patrol ratio was too high!!
    Ah, I can see how that would be difficult. Glad you're in a better place now.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    IA types, more often than not will help clear an Officer/Deputy, rather than hanging them out to dry. Realize that MOST IA people have come up through the ranks and know what LEO's deal with on a day to day basis. They've "been there - done that".

Now understand that they have a job to do. If you screw up, they will do their job. But if a complaint is a BS complaint, they will do what they can to determine that it's a BS complaint.

Case in point: I got a complaint called in on me several years ago. I pissed some kids off because they were riding their skateboards in the parking lot of a bowling alley. Lotsa traffic / night time / not real good lighting. I didn't want to see the kids get hit by a car flying through the parking lot, so I told them to go elsewhere to ride their boards. A few minutes later, I spot them STILL zipping around the parking lot, and told them to pack their skateboards and leave. Thereby pissing them off.

They run and tell Daddy that I cussed them out, four-letter words and all.

Daddy finds me and asks me why I was cussing his kids out. I inform him what had taken place, and that my concern was for the kid's safety and that the second time I told them to leave, I did so more forcefully than the first time. I also advised Daddy that my job as a D.A.R.E. Officer has me working with kids every day, and that it not my style to curse at kids. Daddy wants to file a complaint. I even gave him one of my department business cards (I had nothing to hide) and told him that he was entirely within his rights to file a complaint if he thought it was necessary.

Daddy calls the SO the next morning and files his complaint. Gee, THANKS Dad!!

The IA lady (a Lieutenant, BTW, Kim) calls me in a couple of days later for an interview. Now I've known this lady for a few years, and she knows that is not how I operate (cursing at kids, that is). She does her thing, I give my statement as to the circumstances, she says she will get back to me in a couple of days. Oh, gee thanks. A couple of days that my life is hanging in the wind waiting to see if I get to go to the Big House up the river, or JUST lose my job.

Before I leave her office, she asks me why don't I ever stop by to visit with her. My reply was, "Well Carolyn, you have to understand that you're IA now. You're the lady that swings the big axe. Nobody trusts IA."

She told me exactly what I said earlier in this post, that IA is just as much, if not more, about clearing Officers rather than hanging them. I kind of got a new view of IA after that conversation.

sure enough, a couple of days later, she calls me and tells me that the complaint was determined to be unfounded. <Big sigh of relief.>

She then reminds me of our conversation a couple of days earlier, and asks, "Well, do you believe me now?"

Footnote: I saw the Sheriff a few days later and he tells me that Daddy got pissed because of the IA findings, and went to the DA's office to file a complaint againt the Sheriff for not disciplining me. The DA tells the guy that he doesn't take complaints against the sheriff, and if he has a problem, to take it up with the Sheriff. Well, my Sheriff at the time (retired now) isn't the type to hold back on his words, and he told me he told Daddy to go F--- himself. MY kind of Sheriff.

Oh, and IA rocks! (Well - most of the time anyway.)

Have a very Merry Christmas, y'all.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I think it would be rather nice if you all could speak from the heart when dealing with BS complaints.

kimby is offline Banned
    Thank you, cajunguy. As usual you have a given a very good explanation (although the lack of emoticons was somewhat shocking and disturbing). I would imagine that IA must be one of the most stressful jobs in the police dept. (Not to minimize the stress in all police jobs...) Besides the awkwardness of having to investigate one's fellow officers, it can't be easy dealing with the public on such matters, especially if they're as obnoxious as the father in your story .

So do you stop by to visit with Carolyn now? I hope so.
    Last edited by kimby; 12-25-05 at 03:01 PM.

kimby is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531
    I think it would be rather nice if you all could speak from the heart when dealing with BS complaints.
    Hee hee, "from the heart" might get a little out of hand.

lesta311 is offline Evil is my business.......
    I have made a walk on the carpet a few times. I have never had a sustained complaint, though. I think my IA division honestly looks at the complaint and makes the best decision.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby

So do you stop by to visit with Carolyn now? I hope so.
    Actually haven't seen her in a while. She retired a few years ago.

Still manage to stay tight with IA, though. One of the IA Investigators is one of the guys I ride motors with, another one and I used to work rescue together, and we all happen to be good friends. Never hurts to have friends in "high places" if you know what I mean.

(Sorry 'bout the lack of smilies. I boo-boo'ed. I won't let it happen again, Ma'am.) <As he winks at the pretty lady.>

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

kimby is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lesta311
    I have made a walk on the carpet a few times.
    Is Is that what you guys call it? A walk on the carpet? That's cute.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby
    Is Is that what you guys call it? A walk on the carpet? That's cute.
    Thats about what it feels like though. Feels like the poparatzi (sp) are taking pics and stalking you with all the stuff that comes in from IA. But if you have done nothing wrong and know it, there is nothing to worry about.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Our IA is pretty good, mostly because it isn't a permanent assignment, but a one year rotating tour. It's also staffed with Sgts as investigators, most have had experience as detectives. All come off the street and then go back, that way they aren't "professionals" and have no interest in building up a reputation as being successful there.

When we first got an IA, they put a couple of hotdogs Sgts in there who got way too caught up in their own self importance. They were so bad, that an officers' bill of rights was put in the contract that protects anyone being investigated. It covers everything including telling you whether or not you're a witness or the subject of the investigation.

Complaints that may involve criminal charges are all investigated by detectives assigned to that particular crime unit. That way the investigator is experienced in that area and the investigation is more fair, IMO.

The only real complaint guys have now are that the investigations are too slow. After I left, I understand they doubled the number of investigators to alleviate that problem. It's simply not fair to leave people hanging that long although it was unintentional. My old city just has too many whiners and liberals.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

kimby is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    But if you have done nothing wrong and know it, there is nothing to worry about.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Must be hard not to worry though, especially if you feel like you're being stalked.

kimby is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Our IA is pretty good, mostly because it isn't a permanent assignment, but a one year rotating tour. It's also staffed with Sgts as investigators, most have had experience as detectives. All come off the street and then go back, that way they aren't "professionals" and have no interest in building up a reputation as being successful there.
    That sounds like a wonderful arrangement. I wonder why more depts don't do it that way.

We have a lot of whiners and liberals too. I do some whining myself every once in a while. (Like about loud engines.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information