Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AgentParsons is offline I'm no damn "Bounty Hunter"; I'm a Professional
    Out here itís all different. For one department a 4000 is a fatal MVA; 3000 is an MVA with PI and a 3200 is a minor MVA.

Where as in another department a 10-50 is a MVA no matter the status of the occupants and in the same department a Signal 50 means DUI so there is a lot of confusion on that department.

In the Capitol City you mention a 10-Code and they have no clue what you bean since they use plain English; but, they have to guess what the dispatcher is trying to say half the time. Its quite comical to listen to sometimes.

And in yet another Department they use letter codes in place of 10ís. i.e. a 10-28 (License Check) would be a G-20 and an ID check would be a J-20 etc. I see these poor cops; especially the news ones having to pull over o the side of the road and pull out their desk reference to see what kind of call they are going to.

For some a response of Code 1 = drop what your doing and get there yesterday and run people over if you have to! Yet a neighboring Department a Code 1 get there when you can.

Things where much simpler when I was an MP no matter where I went in the world all the radio jargon was the same.
    Everybody is entitled to MY opinion!

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I've never really understood the need for 'coded' messaging. We always used normal language. Our RT Operators would always ask "Free to Speak?" before giving delicate information. Giving you time to move out of earshot.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentParsons

Things where much simpler when I was an MP no matter where I went in the world all the radio jargon was the same.

...lucky bastard... LOL
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Our dept. uses 10 codes, but there are times when the officers use plain English. The 10 codes here are similiar to those counties around us, but are different than the codes used in another part of the state.

We too have two different codes for accidents, a 10-45 for a non-injury and a 10-46 for accident w/injuries. When it comes to wreckers, we simply say send me next on the list.

Tripleseven is offline Trooper First Class
    My department/state is pretty big on 10 codes and I never really understood it. People in scanner land know what the codes mean, but sometimes it does sound more professional. When shit hits the fan, and you need help, the code is 10-78, but i hear "help" much more often than that.

Some of the other codes depend on what CAD system/program your agency uses. Each specific incident has a separate code, such as: DUI= 2115, MV crash- fatal= 3000, crash with injury=3100, ect. Out of a list of about 90 10-codes they make us learn in the academy, there is probably about 20-25 we use frequently.

NJDenv1 is offline Communications Officer
    We still use 10-codes here in my town, and most of our state. Some towns around here are starting to use plain english, but I think that we'll continue to use 10-codes for a while. Makes things sound more professional (at least I think so). Like, we have 10-8 for in service, 10-10 for officer in trouble, 10-18 for proceed with caution, etc, etc, etc. And what do the rest of you say instead of 10-4 for acknowledgement? It's so easy to just say 10-4 instead of "received" or whatever else I'd have to say.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    hmmm, the benefit of codes, is it's easier to abbreviate the radio chatter - more words = more confusion.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg
    hmmm, the benefit of codes, is it's easier to abbreviate the radio chatter - more words = more confusion.
    I disagree. Confusion would be more likely when a code is misheard or misunderstood. The Metropolitan Police, London appears to be the biggest police force represented here (according to a poll on size of departments), which must mean the radio traffic is the busiest too. Clear speak is used. Accuracy, Brevity, Speed are the buzzwords used for Radio Comms.

As for 10-4, that is two syllables, but so is Received. So takes no longer to say, but is clearer.

"Urgent Assistance" is also clearer and easier to think of when you're rolling around on the floor.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42
    I disagree. Confusion would be more likely when a code is misheard or misunderstood. The Metropolitan Police, London appears to be the biggest police force represented here (according to a poll on size of departments), which must mean the radio traffic is the busiest too. Clear speak is used. Accuracy, Brevity, Speed are the buzzwords used for Radio Comms.

As for 10-4, that is two syllables, but so is Received. So takes no longer to say, but is clearer.

"Urgent Assistance" is also clearer and easier to think of when you're rolling around on the floor.
    I think the key word is abbreviate. If it's code or plain speak, it's using the fewest words to convey the message.

I would much rather an officer say "code cover" then the code we have - most of them do anyway - because there is no doubt what they need, and it's easy to hear.

I work in a "mutual aid" situation on a daily basis, so I see the code confusion situation every day. We recently had an "Officer Needs Assistance" situation with another agency whose frequecy we monitor. Their code was different - but we all heard what was happening. We were able to start cover units before they even asked.

They are a useful tool, but only a tool.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    all good points... It's interesting how complicated it can be to communicate on a radio when everyone has different policies about it.

Thanks for the input, everyone
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    we have our own codes down here in south florida but when the shit hits the fan..lol... you just end up saying what you say anyway lol..
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

eMachine is offline Ret. Lt w/no class
    We have quite a few 10-codes and Signal-x's but generally no one uses them.

I figued differing codes were designed to confuse terrorists and rookies
    "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker." - Gener Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (original)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information