Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    General Patten is offline Surgeon General

Question 10-Codes and such

Pardon me if this question was already asked...

Does anyone know why the 10-codes and Signal-x codes and such are different from one area to the next? Wouldnt it be much easier for cops to communicate with one universal radio-language?
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

PACMAN is offline Officer
    I believe, and don't quote me on this but for the most part across the country most codes are similar up to 10-29. From there they change from agency to agency. I came from a PD back east and 3,000 miles later that is what I found and was told by an FTO. I am sure if I am wrong somone on here will correct me......many departments today are just going to plain english. I did read an article on this a couple months back so everyone can understand better. It is no secret what we are asking for, so even I will just tell dispatch "run a plate for me" or "I need a wrecker" or "can you run a subject 29" etc....

Hope this helps and did not confuse you more.....

thanks for the input. good thing to hear english is being used more... thatll make my job a lot easier... lol

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by General Patten
    thanks for the input. good thing to hear english is being used more... thatll make my job a lot easier... lol
    Curiosity are you a dispatcher?

Yes a lot of agencies have the same ten codes for certain things but at the same time there are a few that are quite different. It was said after 9/11 that the Federal Gov. was going to mandait that all agencies use one type of code preferably plain english. I have heard of more and more agencies using plain english but there are still quite a few that still use the ten codes all the time. Just depends on your area.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.

Or you can press 2 for Spanish.

We use plain English. If anything happens here there would be so many different organizations it would make your head spin.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    For the majority we use 10 code English, but one county over, they have a 10 code for an accident??

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    We have moved over to plain English as we have digital radios which are more secure than the UHFs they replaced.
    There are 13 status codes but the rest of the communication happens in normal speech.

The surveillance officers used to have to learn a massive set of codes it was like learning a foreign language but they also now use encripted or secure digital radios.

Quote Originally Posted by Growler
    For the majority we use 10 code English, but one county over, they have a 10 code for an accident??
    Used to have two one for with injuries, one without.

between you

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    We still have ten codes, eleven codes, code 7, 8 etc. and plain english. Depends on what you feel like using any given day.
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I recently asked the same thing on another thread,we have signals and 10 codes,The signals are pretty much the same state wide as they go by the criminal code ,much as (I beleive) Calif. does ie: RS 14:67 = theft,dispatch will give it out as a "signal 67 at yada yada address" but the 10 codes are all kinds of caddywhompers(red -neck word)10-18 can mean "return for additional info" OR "complete last assignment quick as possible"(heavy code 3 HAUL YOUR ASS )2 completely differeny meanings.I agree with the feds (Did I just say that??? )Do away with the codes and go to plain talk,much safer,as was proven during Katrina...

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    Used to have two one for with injuries, one without.

I thought Chesterfield just called em all the same. I learned soemthing new today!! Yippeee..

Now I will have mercy on thsoe that transfer from Chest to RPD.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    Curiosity are you a dispatcher?
    no, im studying to be a police officer, and after I get my degree and work here for a while, Im planning on moving to another state. Memorizing a different set of laws before the move will be enough of a hassle, so Id prefer to not be required to memorize a different radio-language as well. Of course Ill try anyway, but If I hear some seldom-used code and cant remember what it is, that could be a problem... Getting the two sets of codes mixed up could be an even bigger problem...

I like the idea of plain english... but I also think a universal set of codes would be nice, as codes allow certain things to be said more quickly. (It would also be nice to be able to communicate in front of a suspect without him knowing what youre saying) And being able to communicate in such a manner with officers from different areas could certainly be convenient...

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    no, im studying to be a police officer, and after I get my degree and work here for a while, Im planning on moving to another state. Memorizing a different set of laws before the move will be enough of a hassle, so Id prefer to not be required to memorize a different radio-language as well. Of course Ill try anyway, but If I hear some seldom-used code and cant remember what it is, that could be a problem... Getting the two sets of codes mixed up could be an even bigger problem...

I like the idea of plain english... but I also think a universal set of codes would be nice, as codes allow certain things to be said more quickly. (It would also be nice to be able to communicate in front of a suspect without him knowing what youre saying) And being able to communicate in such a manner with officers from different areas could certainly be convenient...
    While more and more agencies are increasing their use of supposedly plain English (the first time I heard a neighboring agency dispatch someone to a "burgoc" I wasn't sure if they were looking for lunch or some sort of burglary!), most will also still mantain a small set of signals or ten-codes. Expect to learn new ones if & when you change agencies.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    As a civillian police officer for the Dept of the Army we are not allowed to use 10 codes as it will mess up the mp's if they go to into combat and they will revert back to their training. We use plain language with some local codes thrown in.

James
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

MisterK is offline Monkey Man
    From what I hear, 10 codes have their place. I read a post where the officer stated that he might not want the person he has stopped to know that the officer is requesting backup, the guy is crazy etc.. etc..

Im sure plain english has its place as well.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft. -
    Theodore Roosevelt

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

You will be very suprised as how much the "bad guys" know. A lot of them have been around the block so often that they know exactly what you are talking about when you are saying it on the radio as well as when dispatch comes back with something. These guys and gals have been around a long time.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

You will be very suprised as how much the "bad guys" know. A lot of them have been around the block so often that they know exactly what you are talking about when you are saying it on the radio as well as when dispatch comes back with something. These guys and gals have been around a long time.
    Excellent point... although it would still be good to minimize the risk of them knowing whats going on... provided that a false sense of security doesnt wind up being your downfall. ...Perhaps a handheld, typed form of communications would help....? although there are obvious risks there as well... quite a predicament, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Growler
    I thought Chesterfield just called em all the same. I learned soemthing new today!! Yippeee..

Now I will have mercy on thsoe that transfer from Chest to RPD.
    They might, don't know; that was from the Fed in Nashville.
    between you

Excellent point... although it would still be good to minimize the risk of them knowing whats going on... provided that a false sense of security doesnt wind up being your downfall. ...Perhaps a handheld, typed form of communications would help....? although there are obvious risks there as well... quite a predicament, that is...
    No thats why they have this invention called an earpiece lol. This actually helps a lot but doesn't always stop the "bad guy" from knowing.

No thats why they have this invention called an earpiece lol. This actually helps a lot but doesn't always stop the "bad guy" from knowing.
    lol... true... i intend to use one when Im on the street. problem is, it conceals what your comrades are saying, but not what you are saying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information