Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice

grapevine is offline Rookie

oregon

Oregon: I have been with my lady for just over a year now and within the past two weeks she has begun her custody battle for her little 5yr-old. Her daughter's daddy has a criminal record (so does she) with domestic abuse in the past.

That being said, I am in a delicate situation seeing as I was formerly licensed as an MMA fighter in an Arizona circuit and am an expert martial artist. I have no prior criminal record either. Emotions run high with these issues and as much as I feel this guy is scum, I know I must be aware of my behavior at all times. I want to abide by the law but still stand up for what I believe in...

"Citizen's arrest" in my understanding is a broad term enabling someone with my skills to be a "Good Samaritan." The circumstances that would lead me to put this individual under private arrest would be essentially an assault of any kind on her or her family in my presence, obviously. I assurred her I would protect her from her daughter's daddy if needed by asking her in the event an assault has been committed if she wants the arrest made. I would then procede with the arrest with every attempt to avoid bodily injury and notify the authorities. Suggestions?

FishTail Guest
    Lawsuit waiting to happen.

GarcoDeputy is offline Officer First Class
    "Citizen Arrest" is different in every state.

In Colorado a citizen can effect an arrest if a crime is committed in there presence.

The main thing is you have to be really careful. If I was you I would consult an attorney and then look into getting a restraining order for you and your girlfriend. As far as the little girl I don't know what the court will do as far as him having some sort of custody. That is why an attorney would come in handy.

Be careful because I am sure this other fellow is aware of your back ground and might try and bait you into doing something to benefit him down the road!!!
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
    Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Might find yourself with a kidnapping charge if you aren't careful. Just call the cops as soon as he shows up, even if nothing happens. Better than getting yourself in trouble.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian
    Just call the cops as soon as he shows up, even if nothing happens. Better than getting yourself in trouble.
    My thoughts exactly, Virginian! Better to be safe now than sorry later.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    First of all, know your laws in Oregon on citizens arrest, AND self defense....

Secondly, 99.9% of the time, your better off doing a tactical retreat, or avoidance instead of a citizens arrest. Just get away, and call 911.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

FishTail Guest
    Nothing wrong with lawful self-defence. I'd leave it at that. You know who he is and you can always swear out a warrant at a later date.

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    I don't want to offend anybody on here.

That being said, doesn't this guy mention fighting and martial arts a little too much to make everybody comfortable?

I must say, when somebody tells me they are an expert fighter or martial artist, that doesn't perk my attention up nearly as much as when somebody is standing in a corner, watching over things and not saying a word.

It almost looks like he is looking for a reason to start a fight. I might be reading it wrong too.

Just my .02. Please don't take offense. It's hard to read into people's thoughts when they are writing because there is no inflection in their voice. No "non-verbal" communication.
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

FishTail Guest
    Yeah, but I didn't want to be rude

On another note, anyone looking for advice from cops needs to pay attention to the presence or lack of a "Verified LEO" tag on a post.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    On another note, anyone looking for advice from cops needs to pay attention to the presence or lack of a "Verified LEO" tag on a post.
    ya ya ya

any illegal capture or detention of persons against their will, regardless of age
    I'll provide references since I'm not legit
    Last edited by Virginian; 06-26-06 at 03:07 PM.

FishTail Guest
    In this area you can ask LEO's police related questions. Only Verified LEO's will be able to answer questions in this forum, however, non-verifieds may reply to the answers

katiemh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grapevine
    Suggestions?

I'm glad that you asked. My suggestion is for you to stay out of the situation. Without coming across as a bitch here, this is her problem, not yours. You can support her all you want, but there should be NO circumstance that would put you in a situation to make a "citizen's arrest." If he comes to YOUR house and starts causing problems. Call the police. Let them deal with him. Not you. If he comes to HER house and you're there. Same thing. And if there is a high chance of him battering someone, she needs to get a restraining order... but I'm assuming there isn't a high chance seeing as how you didn't state she has one now (or in the past year).

The fact that you're playing this "what if" concerns me. You're trying to fix her problem and take care of him. Let it be. Let her go through the courts and leave it at that. You're not her savior. And I don't see how you being an "expert martial artist" has anything to do with this. Be logical. Trying to deal with him will get you nothing but a criminal record.
    Last edited by katiemh; 06-26-06 at 05:11 PM.

"In this area you can ask LEO's police related questions. Only Verified LEO's will be able to answer questions in this forum, however, non-verifieds may reply to the answers"

Uh, has anyone ever noticed that that statement really makes no sense.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

katiemh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Post#83Chief
    "In this area you can ask LEO's police related questions. Only Verified LEO's will be able to answer questions in this forum, however, non-verifieds may reply to the answers"

You're thinking too technical. It's basically saying, Verified's can answer. Non-verifieds should only respond for clarification of what a Verified said or to ask a question stemming from the original topic.

Quote Originally Posted by katiemh
    You're thinking too technical. It's basically saying, Verified's can answer. Non-verifieds should only respond for clarification of what a verifieds said or to ask a question stemming from the original topic.
    That's way too much thinking.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Sheeeshhhhh,talk about a headache I've got the motha of all now

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Out of respect for Longtail, I will rephrase my comment into a question for clarification :P

Isn't it possible to get charged with kidnapping or something similar for detaining someone without proper authority or cause?

Julie is offline Banned
    No Offense meant , however some of us are former l.e.o.'s or retired or whatever the case , and therefore not being active duty at this moment , according to what i was told and read , we cant become verified , so sometimes the lack of a tag isnt always an indication of authenticity .

As for this guy , in mho , he is looking for validation to do something to show her he is in control of situation .

I agree with other posters in getting a restraining order first , and do not ever by any means put your hands on the other guy , thats a lawsuit and a possible conviction waiting to happen , keep a cell phone ready and call the cops , dont take anything into your own hands ...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Post#83Chief

I've brought it up to the mods in the past, to make it so only verifieds can respond to questions, and only the original poster can post follow up questions.

But to no avail....
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Edit: Don't want to piss LT off.
    Last edited by TheOldRhino; 06-27-06 at 02:20 PM.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information