Welcome to the APBWeb.
    depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO

Questions about earpiece's for 2 way Police radio's

Just curious anybody outside of SWAT/SRT officer's here use earpieces for their 2 way radio's either in the handmic or the adapter for the handmic. A few of us at my department are thinking about buying them. I am curious if anybody on here has any real time use/ info for me as far as comfort, reliability and durabitliy. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by depusm12; 07-11-06 at 03:46 AM.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    Use the search function. This has been discussed.

Many officers, myself included use an earpiece when at work. I personally will not work without. Does not matter if I am on the road, or at a detail. I believe that people should not be able to hear what is going on over the radio. Not to mention most criminals know our codes, and dispatch sometimes forgets to ask if you are clear your "10-12" and again, when dispatch does ask, the criminal knows what is coming next.

There are a couple of good sites, I have one from http://www.tacticalcommand.com, it is the PRO-Series Coiled Audio Tube and TACT-LITE Earmold. Works like a charm, and the mold is great, allows you to still hear what is going on. I will say, I had a problem with the coil coming out after having it for three months. At $90 I did not expect that to happen. I called TCI and spoke with Randy who immediately appologized profusley and sent me a replacement at no charge.

Another site is http://customearpiece.com which I have heard a lot of people reccomend. They like the "shadow."

Bottom line is for officer safety, I always reccomend it. Make sure to get a custom or semi custom mold like the ones above, make it a lot more comfortable.

I work 12's and rarely take mine out at all.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Ruh
    Ruh is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I need to look into it some more, but somewhere it came up and someone commented how having the ear piece continuously in your ear can be damaging to your hearing.

I don't have any personal experience with it and on the other side I haven't had any problems using just the shoulder mic. I actually know several officers in my department don't even use those and only use the handheld.
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

"Crime does pay, in brass and lead."

This is myspace.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Hey Dep I am actually not to far from you literally and work with a former officer from your agency.

The earpiece is awesome. One thing you will find is that you will learn to deal with the piece in your ear. If you are afraid of causing damage to your hear train yourself to put the piece back in your ear when you get out of the car and then take the piece out of your year when you get in the car.

As SFL said try those websites you will find what you are looking for.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

sflcop is offline They pay me to play 12 hours a day!
    I just got a new skeleton (large) from tactical command and it just does not fit properly. That is the problem with the skeletons, they fit decently most of the time, but not near perfect. I called and spoke with Dave from Custom Earpiece.com (who was super nice by the way). He explained that the best way to get a perfect fit, and to not have to replace the skeletion every few months is to get a custom impression done. Total cost for the kit to make the impression, as well as the earmold itself, and shipping is only $67. IMPRESSION KIT ORDER Not too bad if you ask me. Just ordered the kit. Total turn around time should be about a week and a half from now until the kit gets to me, mail to lab, and earpiece to me. I'll let you all know how it works out.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

sflcop@LAWENFORCEMENTFORUMS.CO M

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Thread Information