Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Do you wear your hat?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Department mandated and I don't like it.

14 29.17%
  • Department mandated, but I like it.

4 8.33%
  • Optional and glad I don't have to.

17 35.42%
  • Optional, but I still like to wear it.

6 12.50%
  • I don't really care either way.

7 14.58%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ruh
    Ruh is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cool Do you wear your hat?

Either by department mandate or by personal preference. Do you wear your hat and more importantly...do you enjoy it?

At my department we have the option to not wear it. I know of only 2 people in my department who wear their hat on routine patrol and on calls. My Sgt. and myself.

That this is freaking pimp. I love my hat. It makes me look taller than I am and just adds to the uniform. Plus, it is custom fitted and the only hat I have ever had and enjoyed wearing. I mean...it actually fits my huge ass head.

Plus, when I go to writing tickets people can't use that as a defense against me . I'll throw some pictures up someday with me in my full uni, hat included. Because hell, it isn't a full uniform without the hat!
    Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother." - Henry V

"Crime does pay, in brass and lead."

This is myspace.

eMachine is offline Ret. Lt w/no class
    Ewwww....its so uncool! We wear them when doing some foot, traffic control, or when standing around on the various crime scenes....that's about it. The 8pt hat sucks but the winter hat is pretty nice.
    "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker." - Gener Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (original)

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Screw hats! My hair is to pretty

AGalCop is offline Between Rookie and Ol' Timer
    We only wear our hats when we wear Class A, like a funeral or something. We have Police ball caps we can wear when it rains. No hat for me, hate helmet hair!

CopsRCool302 Guest
    does a vikings hat count? i'm a civi..

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    Mandated any time we are out of the patrol car. But its a baseball cap so it's not too bad except when it rains.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

GarcoDeputy is offline Officer First Class
    Ball cap and we don't have to if we don't want to!!
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
    Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    My hat is the flat, white style...as i'm in the Road Policing Unit..(traffic)....

I rarely wear it nowadays, as i'm on a tactical team and either work in unmarked vehicles..or in marked vehicles don't spent much time standing about outside..

However, when I was on normal traffic patrol, I used to wear it a lot..obviously at Accident scenes, but also during routing stops...

In the UK there is something different about the wearing of a white traffic police hat, compared with black hats and the 'Bobby's' helmet.. The public (whilst often hating traffic police), have a certain respect/waryness towards my department..and this can be beneficial....

Sounds a bit S.S. nazi like..I know....
    'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    I hate the damn thing but then again, Im not a fan of our uniform nor the reasons for its existence. If were in public it has too be worn and thats that. Stupid rule, it gets in the way, falls off when your wrestling with someone or running and costs money to replace. That cash could be used for so many better things.

Can you believe at holloween we were actually warned that our jackets are HIGHLY flammable!

Someone explain why in the middle of the day in a riot we have to wear this uniform?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I have wear my helmet on foot patrol for some reason the powers that be seem to think it offers protection which it never has to me as it falls off every time I get into a conflict situation on one occasion injuring another police officer but this piece of 19th century costume which has no place in modern policing is considered traditional and considered by those who have risen to a rank where they no longer have to wear one or are a civi and have never worn one to be an essential part of my uniform.

Falcata is offline UK police officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave
    but this piece of 19th century costume which has no place in modern policing
    Whilst I agree with you Dave......there is still someone special about the 'Bobby's helmet'...

Especially in these times of Police Community Support Officers, VOSA, etc etc......who all wear flat caps, often with body armour, utility belts etc etc...

At least if you see a 'helmet', in the UK, you know it's a Constable with the power associated with that 'office'..
    'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
    but because of those who look on and do nothing.'

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Right now I'm not wearing my 8pt.
    But when I'm off of FTO I'll be wearing it. I think they look sweet.

On my old dept, I wanted an 8pt, but they didn't even issue hats, so I got jyped. So, when I get off fto I'm wearin' it.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Beans is offline Street Cop
    Verified LEO
    Our hats are so ugly! I am so glad we don't have to wear them. We have 700 officers and I have only seen one old timer ever wear it. They are like so dorky!
    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Beans" on LEF.

Well I voted so hopefully no one gets mad at me, but I work for a Sheriffs Department and I have to wear a hat. It's just a baseball hat so I really shouldn't be complaining, but we have to have it on when making contact with people, etc. etc. and uh for guys it's no biggie, you can take them on and off, but for us chicks with ponytails, taking them on and off is a bit more difficult. So myself and the other three chicks just keep them on, but it's a pain cause on the boat your heads gets really hot cause it's a dark brown hat, and uh I've lost mine in the river 3 times already and had to go fish it out before it was ran over and lost to the bottom of the Muskegon River. So, not really a big fan of the hat, they look cool, but they're a pain in the BUTT.
    Last edited by Autumn2009; 07-15-06 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Inability to write and sound coherent b4 noon.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    As of this year we have to wear our hat whenever practical.....ie. except when on a hot call. I hated it at first but now I dont care

"And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    We wear one like wcso, it is required when ever we are in public, on calls, etc....do I wear it.......depends on who is watching, lol I can say I have worn it and it didn't fall off even when taking someone to the ground, but getting into a scuffle once and leaving it at the home of the arrestee and remembering it 30 miles away on the way to the jail wasn't fun, another deputy did go back and get it for me though. We have no ball cap...it is that hat, and it is really hot to wear in the summer...don't mind it so much in the winter or when standing in the rain....
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarcoDeputy
    Ball cap and we don't have to if we don't want to!!

What he said.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by wcso234
    As of this year we have to wear our hat whenever practical.....ie. except when on a hot call. I hated it at first but now I dont care

Pretty small head and a really skinny neck.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyFourteen
    We wear one like wcso, it is required when ever we are in public, on calls, etc....do I wear it.......depends on who is watching, lol I can say I have worn it and it didn't fall off even when taking someone to the ground, but getting into a scuffle once and leaving it at the home of the arrestee and remembering it 30 miles away on the way to the jail wasn't fun, another deputy did go back and get it for me though. We have no ball cap...it is that hat, and it is really hot to wear in the summer...don't mind it so much in the winter or when standing in the rain....
    A trick that I just learned. When the brim starts to warp........wet the brim with water and spray with hairspray and then put heavy books on it while it dries on a flat surface
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly
    Pretty small head and a really skinny neck.

You are the first person to ever say that...........just ask brad

To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information