Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    generally if you treat people as you would like to be treated you will get thanked some. i'am as nice as some body lets me be, they dictate if and when i become an ass and it can chance really fast.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

eMachine is offline Ret. Lt w/no class
    Yep, quite a few times. Even a couple of people who made me "act ugly" when effecting their arrest.
    "Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker." - Gener Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (original)

ghost98 is offline BEEN THERE BUT NOT EVERYWHERE
    Yes, i once locked up a pickpocket (caught him in the act doing decoy on nyc subway) a bunch of years ago. The complainant decided not to press charges. i then without telling the skell her intentions ripped him a new one. i told him i'd help him if he made some promises to clean up his life and get a job.... one year later i ran into him at a gas station in nj. he approached me and said that the talk i gave him scared him and gave him hope. he was now fully employed and had a future with major company which he said was all because of that one night and the second chance he got. (no record)Today he works for merrill lynch

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, thanked quite often on traffic. I think it is all in how you sell it to them... sometimes it almost seems like a contest between myself and a few other officers to see who can do it better.

I also don't tend to stack charges, and I'll tell someone when I've given them a break, Ex: "look, you need to have insurance, and I'm citing you for that violation, but I'm letting you off on the turn signal... if you go to court and show them you have insurance that was in effect at the time of this stop, it won't cost you anything". Works great, is ultimately still effective, and NOPI is a big pet-peve of mine anyway (don't know how it is where you are at, but the last one of these I went to court on cost the defendant $751 for a 1st offense... I nearly fell out of my chair. On the other hand, it costs me more than that each year to pay for my insurance, so I guess we're even).

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I was actually told by one guy I helped arrest..

"Thanks for not kicking my ass. Had you guys been LPD, I would have had my ass beat."

And this was coming from a guy with prior's of Battery on a LEO.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    About 99% of the time I get a "Thank you." at the end of an encounter. I had one guy say "Thank you," as I was walking away frim his car, and then he said, "Wait a minute! Why am I thanking you? You just gave me a ticket that's gonna cost me a bunch of money and raise my insurance!" "You're thanking me because I treated you fairly, with respect and didn't talk down to you." "You're right, " he said, "Thank you."
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information