Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: police grants

police grants

Anyone have experience writing for grants? I just started at a VERY small town (pop. 3100) and they have damn near nothing. The chief doesnt seem very much into police work, and the sergeant is constantly battling with the chief, therefore, cant get anything done. I'd like to try for a couple of grants for equipment (more to keep myself and the three other part-timers safe than anything), but havent the slightest clue where to start. Any ideas?
    Peace through superior firepower.

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I've written a couple and helped on several others. Just depends what you're trying to do. Do you have teh grant applications?

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Don't know which state you're in, but try through your state government.

Here in La., we go through the La. Commission on Law Enforcement for our grants. Most (maybe all) states should have a similiar type agency.

If you can't find anything there, go the the BJA. Most LE grants are supplied by them.
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/programs/law_enf.html

Grants are good things if you can get 'em. When I was in charge of our D.A.R.E. Program, I acquired well in excess of a million dollars in federal grants for our program over an eight year period of time.

We were able to acquire program supplies, audio-visual equipment, computers, and a whole bunch of other stuff. It pays to put a little effort into applying.

Good luck with it.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

I'm not even sure what to apply for yet. To give a general idea...We have two cars (one marked and one unmarked) neither vehicle has shot gun racks. The one shotgun we do have has to be twenty years old. Our PBT is at least 10 years old. No holding facilities (we transport to a different police station) No patrol rifles (even though there are two schools in our borough). No tasers, nothing at all is issued to us. About the only things we have up-to-date is 800mhz radio's, visual alert, a digital camera, and a defibrilator.
    Any help is much appriciated.
    Peace through superior firepower.

Verified LEO
    Cajunguy gave you the link we used to use. We had our best luck through the Block Grants and Byrne Grants. Also, if you have a federal facility near by we used to get a lot of their equipment. If memory serves me correct, our contact used to be in Dayton Ohio at Wright Patterson.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Don't know much about grants, but try MADD or your state highway safety programs for free pbt's. They give them out with no questions asked.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Here are also a few Ideas.

Your Local banks. Banks have a certain amount of money that they have to give to the community!
    Check Wal-Mart Wal-mart gives to the community where I live also.
    We had two PBT's Purchased by the VFW.
    Try VFW, American Legion, and other fraternal organizations

These are great places to obtain money or equipment for the department!

*******Side note. I arrested a guy for D.U.I. on Monday after field sobriety tests i asked him to blow into the portable PBT. He blew in it and I placed him into custody. He then said Man that is bull shit. I voted to buy you guys those pbts and now your taking me to jail I did tell him thanks that we have used it a lot since the purchased it and that the money that they spent was well worth it!

dlefdal is offline LEF'S unofficial mascot
    Check with your local Department of Transportation. They can be very useful.
    When you find yourself in a hole............QUIT DIGGING!!!!!!!!!

OK guys time to come clean. I am not only a police officer but I am also a big time movie star. I am using my real photo as my avatar now. Please NO autographs!!!!

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such

Verified LEO
    Add Target to list as well, they have a budget also.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    One note about Target and some of the other national companies...

They often have limits on what they can give or how they can give it locally -- but may be able to do more nationally. I recall one internet rumor that has circulated several times about how a major retailer (I forget which one) refused to help some clearly and unarguably worthy group, but the truth was that the group was asking the wrong place of the wrong people.

Thread Information