Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Indy Guest

Who to contact to thank an officer

I'd like to thank an officer for an incident tonight involving a family member & vehicle accident. I got a call this evening from my mother who had been run off the road and up on a jogging lane in the pouring rain and darkness. Her right front tire was shredded, but she managed to pull the car back down into the street (probably not the best idea, but there was a sharp and huge embankment that she didn't want to accidently roll down). Because the car was impeding(sp) traffic and it was too close to the curb to get the jack up, we needed to pull it out a little. We decided to call the police (hope that was the right thing to do!) and they dispatched an officer to flank us with his lights on. He was a great guy. He stated that he'd turn the lights on "in hopes that citizens did was they were supposed to do and get out of the way." lol He kind of rolled his eyes and you could tell he didn't really expect them to pay much attention. Indeed, they didn't. Anyway, he was very friendly and helped get the car back in order and then really lit the car up (very cool lights!!! LED?), pulled out into traffic to stop it, and waited while we pulled both vehicles back into the main roadway and got on our way.

I regret I didn't catch his name, but I did think to get his plate number. I don't know if this particular dept. has a take home policy, so I noted the time and location in hopes they would know who was assigned to which cruiser tonight.

To get a formal "thank you" in the officers file, would you:

A) call
    B) write a formal snail mail letter
    C) e-mail

*Who would I address a written letter to or who would I contact on the phone - if that's the best option?

Thanks.

ETA: to him and some of ya'll, this may not seem like a big deal. But, it meant a lot to her. She was extremely shaken up and I didn't want either of us to get hit trying to change the tire with the car blocking traffic on a busy roadway during rush hour. With the darkness and rain, the conditions weren't good. He was totally relaxed and friendly. Nice guy.
    Last edited by Indy; 12-30-05 at 08:48 PM.

Cheech Guest
    I think u posted something like this on RP

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Write a snail mail letter to the Chief of Police, and it wouldn't hurt to call the officer's first line supervisor either.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator
    Write a snail mail letter to the Chief of Police, and it wouldn't hurt to call the officer's first line supervisor either.
    How do I find out who that is?

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    I think u posted something like this on RP
    Uh..no, I didn't. I'm most definitely banned from RP.

Furthermore, what difference would it make if I DID?

Mike Hunt is offline Junior Member
    I have found in these situations that there are 2 approaches depending on your objective.

A If you are trying to get a date (or get laid) then it's always a good idea to contact the officer direct

B If you genuinely want to give the officer a compliment then write a letter. You mentioned it was a family member so you might want to pass on if they want to get laid to contact the officer direct BUT if they wish to give the officer a compliment, write a letter

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt
    I have found in these situations that there are 2 approaches depending on your objective.

A If you are trying to get a date (or get laid) then it's always a good idea to contact the officer direct

B If you genuinely want to give the officer a compliment then write a letter. You mentioned it was a family member so you might want to pass on if they want to get laid to contact the officer direct BUT if they wish to give the officer a compliment, write a letter
    He was most definitely not my type (lol), but thanks for your advice...I think.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    For one Mike that was a retarded post. Why the hell would you think she would want a piece of ass from the way that her post was written give me a freaking break. If you are a cop you should be able to use your basic investigative skills, and tell that in no way shape or form was it about getting some ass. So pull your head out of your ass and think about the things you are going to say before you actually say them.

Indy the best way to do it, would be to call dispatch tell them that you want to thank an officer but you only have his car number and the time of his arrival. This will actually help a lot, most departments require the officer when he/she signs on to give their cruiser number. That way they are able to keep a total on how much the vehicle is driven. Also they will be able to tell you who the shift supervisor is that way you can call them and write them a letter. Writing a snail mail letter is always the best. Reason being the letter will actually go into the officer's file. Which during raise time comes in very nicely. Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions feel free to hit me up on yahoo.
    Last edited by chris2001; 12-30-05 at 11:35 PM.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    And just as a side note, it is VERY nice to hear positive things from the public. What your doing it GREAT
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    And just as a side note, it is VERY nice to hear positive things from the public.
    Exactly. I know very few get positive comments, only negative. I don't agree with that at all...no one takes the time to say "thanks" for the little things that mean a whole lot to the person who needed help that night.

Jay7376 is offline Master Officer
    I agree with Chris...write a real letter, not email. If you call, the chief (or whoever) will forget all about the praise the officer received. A letter is much more valuable...gotta have a paper trail.
    I'm a PUBLIC SERVANT, so I'm not permitted to use my own judgement in any way.

MountainCop Guest
    Letter - most definitely! The ones I have received have gone into my personnel file.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001
    For one Mike that was a retarded post. Why the hell would you think she would want a piece of ass from the way that her post was written give me a freaking break. If you are a cop you should be able to use your basic investigative skills, and tell that in no way shape or form was it about getting some ass. So pull your head out of your ass and think about the things you are going to say before you actually say them.
    What does this have to do with you anyway? At least Indy has a sense of humor.
    You must be a rookie and a young one at that. So if you wish for this site to have any credibility I suggest you keep your head in your ass where your words can be muffled.
    Or are you the keyboard warrior type whose only means of control in your life is to berate people? You act like a child and your only option in your mind will be to ban me. Go ahead. It will be more of a reflection on you than me.
    Last edited by Mike Hunt; 12-31-05 at 11:12 AM.

Indy Guest
    At least Indy has a sense of humor.
    For the record, I was not amused by your comments either.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    For the record, I was not amused by your comments either.

You mean you posted that as a serious question? I thought you were kidding around, I mean, seriously?

Indy Guest
    You mean you posted that as a serious question? I thought you were kidding around, I mean, seriously?
    Welcome to LEF...feel free to not make yourself at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Welcome to LEF...feel free to not make yourself at home...
    Ok, Honey

Thanks for the warm welcome.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    What does this have to do with you anyway? At least Indy has a sense of humor.
    You must be a rookie and a young one at that. So if you wish for this site to have any credibility I suggest you keep your head in your ass where your words can be muffled.
    Or are you the keyboard warrior type whose only means of control in your life is to berate people? You act like a child and your only option in your mind will be to ban me. Go ahead. It will be more of a reflection on you than me.
    First off I am not a rookie. Second I am very well liked on this board and in person by a lot of the members here. My head is completely out of my ass and I have recieved lots of rep from the other members on the comment that I made towards you. That was a retarded comment. Why would she not be serious about trying to figure out how to give this officer a letter or to praise him for what he did? You do not know her (yes I do know her as many of the other members do), and you do not know me. So therefor use common senes before you post.

This site has a ton of credibility. Far more than a bunch of other police sites. On top of that we do not ban people for having an opinion of their own,we prefer to discuss those opinions. As I have here. I called you out on purpose on this comment because well it was a stupid one to make. How the hell you could come up with her trying to hit on the officer is just stupid.

As I have said you will not be banned, because we do not ban people for no reason at all. You have be a much bigger idiot and do it more often for any of us to ban your dumb ass.

Oh and welcome to LEF.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

First of all thanks for the welcome Chris. I mean it.
    #1 I couldn't take her post seriously. Only a moron or an attention seeker would post such an dumbass query.
    #2 The site looks good and seems to allow free thought and expression where other forums are too tightly clamped. I'm looking for a home.
    # 3 To ensure credibility, attention seeking posts need to be minimized
    # 4 Peer pressure helps with #3
    # 5 If this chick is a holster sniffer she deserves what she gets and at first glance it looked that way.

Thanks for letting me speak.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    First of all thanks for the welcome Chris. I mean it.

Thanks for letting me speak.

We allow our members to speak here...even if that means disagreeing with a Moderator, or saying something controversial. That's what separates us from any other police site out there.

Welcome to LEF, and we'd like for this place to be your home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information