Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ticktwrter is offline Rookie

CALEA Accredidation

Are there any people on here working for departments that are or are in the process of CALEA accredidation? How is it working, what are the positives and what are the negatives.
    When it comes to creating new policies, who creates them? My department created a Lt's spot and promoted someone to be the accredidation manager. He has decided to send out tasks to those with expertise in certain fields and having them create the basic policy he can review and polish and then make the officer who started it answer command staff questions. Funny, that seems like what he was promoted to do?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I have worked for an agency that was CALEA accredited, and also went thru the accreditation process with an agency. Personally, I think CALEA is a waste of money and a dog and pony show.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    What the hell is CALEA? It sounds like a skin treatment.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

rlb
    rlb is offline Rookie
    Our agency is accredited but the new city administrator will not pay for the renewal. You get to put really neat stickers on the squads that nobody knows what they are and and uh um well thats about it.

cajunguy is offline I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktwrter
    Are there any people on here working for departments that are or are in the process of CALEA accredidation? How is it working, what are the positives and what are the negatives.
    When it comes to creating new policies, who creates them? My department created a Lt's spot and promoted someone to be the accredidation manager. He has decided to send out tasks to those with expertise in certain fields and having them create the basic policy he can review and polish and then make the officer who started it answer command staff questions. Funny, that seems like what he was promoted to do?
    Sounds like we work for the same department. They did the same thing here.

The main thing I see with CALEA accredidation, is that it just creates more and more restrictive policies that everyone has to follow. Everything we do now has to meet CALEA standards.

Oh, for the good old days of real po-leece work.

We were just re-accredited about two weeks ago. We also are accredited by the ACA (American Correctional Association) for our Corrections Center, and the Sheriff is shooting for what they call the "Triple Crown" accredidation by getting the Corrections Center medical program accredited. As I understand, there are just a very few agencies in the country that have all three. Yay!!

(Still doesn't put any more bucks in our pockets, though.)

BTW, for those who don't know what CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies)is about, here's the link to their website:
    http://www.calea.org/

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

BrickCop is offline "Shrinkage Proof"

Thumbs down

I served on my PD's Accrediation Team and the subsequent renewals. It is complete BS, the PD has to kiss the CALEA Assessors asses like they are friggin' royalty.

You wanna know what CALEA really stands for?

Cash
    Accepted from
    Law
    Enforcement
    Agencies
    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-19-06 at 11:29 PM.
    Why no, that's not a pregnant anaconda in my pants...why do you ask?

ticktwrter is offline Rookie
    I was told to look at other department's policies for my area and plug them in to ours and just eliminate the other names. They told me all I have to do is create the policy and that is it. The first points I saw on the paper I was given that date would need to be collected and reviewed. Guess who will get stuck with doing that in addition to my regular work? It is time to get back to patrol and be a cop again.

ida40dj is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    worked for an agency that was "federaly accredited" for about four months i hated it everything was in the "rule book" two very large notebooks full of rules including how to take coffee break, do traffic stop everything if you dont do exactlly what book says your wrote up. i quite after four months iam not a robot.
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I cant see what the purpose to being "accredited" is other than bragging rights. Its a feel good thing for administrators to brag about at luncheons. These are the same admins who are so out of touch with what goes on on the streets and what the "real cops" are on patrol do, and what they need.

ofc129 is offline Rookie
    My old department (500+ sworn) and new department (1700+ sworn) are both accredited, and I agree it's a waste. It was originally designed for departments of less than 100 officers, to establish standards that are often lacking in departments that size.

Thread Information