Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    kimby is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-22-05
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    0

    Writing to the Chief About an Officer

    With apologies in advance to Mike, I would like to ask a question inspired by Indy's thread on thanking an officer.

    There is an officer who has been exceptionally helpful to me on an ongoing basis. I would like the chief to know about this, and I have considered writing a letter. However, since I will have a continuing association with this officer AND because she is in a position to make decisions which affect me, I would prefer that she not know about my letter. At best it might seem like I'm sucking up and at worst like I'm trying to influence her future decisions.

    Would it be outrageously unusual to send the chief a letter but ask that it not be shared with the officer?

  2. #2
    chris2001's Avatar
    chris2001 is offline Captain
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    2,690
    Rep Power
    680859
    You could write an anonomyous letter to the chief.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

    Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.


    May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

    The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

  3. #3
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130330
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby
    With apologies in advance to Mike, I would like to ask a question inspired by Indy's thread on thanking an officer.

    There is an officer who has been exceptionally helpful to me on an ongoing basis. I would like the chief to know about this, and I have considered writing a letter. However, since I will have a continuing association with this officer AND because she is in a position to make decisions which affect me, I would prefer that she not know about my letter. At best it might seem like I'm sucking up and at worst like I'm trying to influence her future decisions.

    Would it be outrageously unusual to send the chief a letter but ask that it not be shared with the officer?
    Do you really think it would be a problem? If so do what Chris said. I would not think it would be taken the wrong way though.

  4. #4
    kimby is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-22-05
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    0
    Writing anonymously is a good idea, but I'd be disappointed not to be able to mention specific instances in which the officer has been helpful, which would identify me.

    Maybe it wouldn't actually be a problem. Does anyone here ever feel sucked up to when their chief gets letters about them? I've heard that officers sometimes feel uncomfortable about getting free food because they think that the person offering it might expect a favor or leniency at some time in the future. I thought this might be a simlar thing. Maybe I'm just worrying needlessly.

  5. #5
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Positive letters to the Chief are always a good thing, anonymous or not!

  6. #6
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130330
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby
    Writing anonymously is a good idea, but I'd be disappointed not to be able to mention specific instances in which the officer has been helpful, which would identify me.

    Maybe it wouldn't actually be a problem. Does anyone here ever feel sucked up to when their chief gets letters about them? I've heard that officers sometimes feel uncomfortable about getting free food because they think that the person offering it might expect a favor or leniency at some time in the future. I thought this might be a simlar thing. Maybe I'm just worrying needlessly.

    Well in a large department, I doubt the chief will even read your letter. And sometimes what you mentioned about gratuities is an issue. Fact is they are against policy to accecpt. Some will say it is no big deal when 7-11 gives you a cup of coffee, but I will pay for mine. it is just part of my personal ethics.

    A letter saying how you are doing a good job, and giving gratuities are two different things.

    Don't worry about it. I would send the letter.

  7. #7
    kimby is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-22-05
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    0
    Fortunately the dept only has about 250 people, so I think the chief will read it.

    I will go ahead and start working on the letter. Thanks everybody!

  8. #8
    Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator is offline BANNED
    Join Date
    12-03-05
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    16,064
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby
    Fortunately the dept only has about 250 people, so I think the chief will read it

    Uh, that's a lot......the average police department in the USA has less than 50 officers. With a 250 department, the odds of it being read by the Chief himself are still not that great.

  9. #9
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130330
    Quote Originally Posted by kimby
    Fortunately the dept only has about 250 people, so I think the chief will read it.

    I will go ahead and start working on the letter. Thanks everybody!

    You are welcome. Also it may not hurt to call and ask the duty officer how you can give a proper commendation. Usually what they do is transfer you to the appropriate division commander and you advise him or her that you would like to make a commendation.

    Not very often commendations are given. Most people will never actually give one even though they had a good contact.

    However everyone is quick for complaints.....

    Thank you for taking your time to write one up, it will make the officer's day.

  10. #10
    kimby is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-22-05
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    Well in a large department, I doubt the chief will even read your letter.
    Okay. I will try emailing.

  11. #11
    kimby is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-22-05
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisGlock40
    You are welcome. Also it may not hurt to call and ask the duty officer how you can give a proper commendation. Usually what they do is transfer you to the appropriate division commander and you advise him or her that you would like to make a commendation.
    I didn't know about commendations. I will look into this.

  12. #12
    kimby is offline Banned
    Join Date
    12-22-05
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to write. I just heard from the chief thanking me for my email and saying that the officer is indeed fantastic. So I guess everything is okay. I do feel slightly like a suck-up, but I'll get over it.

  13. #13
    Iron Man's Avatar
    Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Join Date
    12-07-05
    Posts
    1,959
    Rep Power
    130330
    Good job!

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shooting an unarmed subject
    By TheeBadOne in forum In the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-07, 08:02 PM
  2. Plano, TX Police Officer Dayle Hardy, 31
    By TXCharlie in forum Officer Down
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-07, 02:15 AM
  3. Should we lower the drinking age?
    By FTL_Ian in forum The Holding Cell
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 12-04-06, 10:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •