Welcome to the APBWeb.
    IcyMist is offline Banned

Strange But True

I wish that I had found this forum about a year ago. At that time I was a wreck. I had something that bothered me so much I was in hysterics at work. I am just curious to find out if what I was told is true. Let me relate the story to you and see what you think. Sorry the following is so long, but is rather complicated.

I belonged to an online gaming guild for about 6 years and we also had a forum and I was heavily involved in the running of the guild before I left, had moderator rights in the forums and have deleted many inappropriate threads as it was a family oriented site. The person I had a problem with was the super moderator of 2 different gaming sites. One was the guild he started and the other was the guild that I was in. We considered the 2 guilds as sister guilds and we would jump from one forum to another and post in both. Well none of the above is pertinent to what happened, but thought I would give you a little background.

I will refer to the person that I had a problem with as "Mike". Mike is either in his late 20's or early 30's and was originally from NYC. His 3 year relationship with his girlfriend ended abruptly and it messed him up bad. He tried to commit suicide and he posted a goodbye letter/will in the forums of his guild. One of the members of his guild called the police of the city where he lives and they got to his apartment in time. He was rushed to the hospital and they pumped his stomach. He had psychiatric help and then he moved to Colorado and started a new job. After 3 months, he had another girlfriend, a job and things were starting to look up again. Well apparently the lady was just out to get money (or that is what he said). He lost his job because the company was downsizing, he dropped his girl and he started getting depressed again. I use to chat with him all the time and try and get him to seek more help. I will admit that I also gave him some money....I know stupid thing to do, but he was broke, rent was due and he had lost job. Then he ICQ's me several times while I was gone and told me to read my email. He had sent me an email with an attachment. For some reason I couldn't open the email or attachment and so I ICQ'd him back and told him that I would have to open it tomorrow at work. He finally got in touch with me via ICQ and told me to ignore the email and that everything was okay. He said he had to go and he told me to just delete the email.

Well I am afraid that I am a nosy person and decided to read the email anyway. He said he was committing suicide again and by the time I read the email, it would be too late. The attachment was a long letter/will where he was giving things to some friends who are members in the guild, writing to individual members and even his old girlfriend.

He also told his life story. To make a long story a little shorter won't tell everything, but he said that he belonged to a gang in NYC and that he had killed 7 people, had used and sold drugs, etc. I will admit to crying in hysterics, I was stunned and I didn't know what to do. One of the senior partners had called me to his office and he could see that I had been crying and I was still shaking. I told him what happened and I gave him the printed version of the attachment. I didn't know if it was all in Mike's mind or if he really had killed people. I didn't know if I should call the police and send them the email or what. I didn't even know what city Mike lived in, in Colorado so I didn't know what to do.

The attorney called a friend in the Attorney General's office and he was advised that they get so many emails like that, that they don't even waste their time checking them out. The guy in the Attorney General's office thinks the guy is mental (I do too now, or I pray to God that it is all in his mind) and that I shouldn't have ANY more contact with the guy.

Well I quit the guild I was in because I would have had constant contact with him otherwise. I hated having to quit because there were a lot of nice people in that guild and I made some good friends who I still miss. Mike hasn't tried to contact me since then, but he did ask what happened to me when I left all of a sudden. I think he knows why I left.

Did I do right? Should I have tried to contact someone in Colorado and see if they could find Mike? If he killed 7 people then he needs to pay for that, but everybody thinks its all in his mind. What do you think?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyMist
    Did I do right?

Should I have tried to contact someone in Colorado and see if they could find Mike?

What do you think?

I think you did the right thing. Sounds like Mike is a nutjob, and you did the right thing initially by helping him. You also did the right thing by moving on shortly thereafter.

TY that really makes me feel better. I honestly didn't know what to do. I honestly feel that Mike needs help, but I don't even know how to get him the help he needs.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Leave Mike alone. Let him receive the help he needs on his own. You are getting yourself into a dangerous situation if you come back into his life.

I won't get involved in his life again.....believe me. This is one time that I believe that ignorance is bliss.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Stay far far far away from this man. He is what we refer to a bomb waiting to explode. You need to seperate yourself from him and his "world".
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Thread Information