Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    IcyMist is offline Banned

Anyone Ever on "Cops"?

Okay, okay, I know. Somebody get rid of the lady. I was curious if anyone has appeared on Cops? Also do you think the show is a good thing for cops or bad?

Terminator is offline BANNED
    I have never been on cops. I think the show ("Cops") is a good AND a bad thing.

What do you think it bad? I personally like the show because people can actually see what idiots some people who get arrested are.

Do you feel that way because it could cause a problem for those officers who may be distracted by the cameras?
    Last edited by IcyMist; 01-01-06 at 11:47 PM.

seltzer is offline Member
    I am not even a true blue LEO yet, and I can usually pick out a couple things each show that I personally would probably do different. But still, I am addicted to that show! I have seen every episode (DVR is a wonderfull thing). The first true reality show!
    The world is a mighty clear place once the wool is removed from ones eyes

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyMist
    What do you think it bad? I personally like the show because people can actually see what idiots some people who get arrested are.
    The show is heavily edited, and usually not very indicitive of our job. Remember, anything on TV is not real....even reality shows.

Southwest47 is offline I have a member
    I agree with Terminator....the show is good and bad. The show only depicts the exciting parts of that particular officers shift. Most of our shift is going from one routine call to the next, with a bit of pro-activity in between.

On the other hand, the show does give viewers a taste of what we do, or may have to do...good or bad. I've had several co-workers on the show ,and virtually all of them say it's a pain in the ass having that camera following you around, and stuck in your face all night. I guess it's kinda like being on training with your FTO watching your every move.
    If You Love Your Job, You Will Never Work A Day In Your Life...

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Yes more correct. The show takes a complution of several days out on the street with a few officers and then breaks them down into a thirty minutes show. It makes it seem as though the officers are always on these high intensity type calls. What they fail to show you is that there is down time, there are times where your going to a BS call and you don't arrest anyone you HBO (Handled By Officer) the call.

Also they fail to show you a lot of what actually goes on in a department. Other than that its good because a lot of the weapons that are seen on the show and ways that people are hiding contraband just allow us as the LEO's to further our knowledge on other areas and where they are hiding stuff. It also allows us to see what we shouldn't do on a daily basis.

I sure hope they do not come to my department and film. After about the first two hours they would be like we are gone nothing to see here. Because i do not handle a lot of calls. I do the traffic side of it.

Hope I and the others answered your question.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Hope I and the others answered your question.
    Yes you did, thank you very much. You know before you mentioned it, I didn't really think about all the "down time" that you probably have. Now I understand something that I saw on the way to work one time. I typically go to work about 4:00 a.m., don't have to be at work until 6:00 a.m., but I like to surf, do personal stuff, etc before I get busy.

I drove right by a cop car and saw that the door was open and a police officer's legs were hanging out of the car. I was afraid that he was hurt or sick and so I turned around and went back there. I will admit to being very scared because I didn't know what I would find. I was walking very slowly toward the car and I called out to the officer and asked him if he was okay. It took a few seconds before he moved, but he sat up. Afraid that I woke him up. He may even have been on his break or not feeling well but as soon as I saw that he was okay, I started to leave. Another police car pulled up as I was walking back to my car. I am hoping that I didn't get him in trouble.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It IS good tv, I like waetching it.

But as everyone has already said, it's heavily edited. All people want to see is a shirtless goon throwing a cell phone at a bunch of cops as they walk through his door, a fight, and then the guy being mirandized.

That ain't real life.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, especially since it's 90% of what a cop's job REALLY is, and what you never see on COPS:

WRITING REPORTS

Signal_W Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt581
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, especially since it's 90% of what a cop's job REALLY is, and what you never see on COPS:

WRITING REPORTS

You should be banned for those two words

Actually I remember one segment where one of the officers was saying something about 30 minutes of excitement and 4 hours of writing the reports....or something like that. Can't really remember the specifics. I don't know how you can keep up with the paperwork. It sounds like if you have a busy night, then you are overwhelmed with the paperwork.

I have always wondered why police officers can't use a tape recorder to do their reports (like accident interviews) and get them transcribed afterward. Seems to me that that could work if you have a form to follow.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Anything I need transcribed goes to our secretary and she does it. Normally, if I need something off of my tape recorder (like a quote) i just get it myself, then lock the tape up in evidence.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyMist
    Actually I remember one segment where one of the officers was saying something about 30 minutes of excitement and 4 hours of writing the reports....or something like that. Can't really remember the specifics. I don't know how you can keep up with the paperwork. It sounds like if you have a busy night, then you are overwhelmed with the paperwork.

I have always wondered why police officers can't use a tape recorder to do their reports (like accident interviews) and get them transcribed afterward. Seems to me that that could work if you have a form to follow.
    Because believe it or not that is a big pain in the ass. Its far easier to type it up and do it yourself. It also helps with the memory that way when the scumbag wants to fight it in court you can remember every detail and four letter word he called you.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

danninator is offline po-leece
    Verified LEO
    Wait you guys don't think COPS reflects the job? Pfft I don't know where you work, but I get into about 18miles a day in foot chases, routinley go through about a fifty count box of ammo every three days, and don't get me started on how many times i've taken my cruiser at 70mph through an overgrown field(THREE TIMES LAST WEEK!) seriously all I had to do was write one little posted note to the patrol LT. about some "shooting" I was in, he said it was cool no biggie, kid shouldn't have pointer his super soaker at me , but that I should lay off the slugs and just go for 00buck.
    No life 'til leather gunna kick some ass tonight.

Cheech Guest
    Cops has fake radio traffic

pmfc is offline ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasvegasog
    Cops has fake radio traffic
    "World's Wildest Police Videos" is much worse. Fake tire screeching, engine noises, sirens (audible from the helicopter too, yeah right! ), and crash sounds. They suck so bad I turn the sound down and play music instead. Nothing quite like a pursuit music video!

FishTail Guest
    I was on a UK version.

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I was on "Placas" the spanish language version. Does that count?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information