Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Crimebytes2 is offline Banned

A stupid question I'm sure...

What is the difference between POLICE OFFICER and PEACE OFFICER? If there is none, why the two different terms? Thanks.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Simply put....there isn't.

But TECHNICALLY....

A POLICE OFFICER is a specific title for a law enforcement officer that works in a municipality (city)

A PEACE OFFICER is any sworn Law Enforcement officer within the state. (Police Officer, Sheriff Deputy, Game Warden, State Trooper, SWAT, Investigator, etc, etc, etc.)

That's my understanding anyway
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

timatoe127 is offline NorCal Po-Po
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

But TECHNICALLY....

A POLICE OFFICER is a specific title for a law enforcement officer that works in a municipality (city)

A PEACE OFFICER is any sworn Law Enforcement officer within the state. (Police Officer, Sheriff Deputy, Game Warden, State Trooper, SWAT, Investigator, etc, etc, etc.)

That's the way I understand it as well, in the California Penal code it references "Peace Officer" almost exclusively. However, looking back at the WTF thread, apparently that's not how it is in NY.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

Jimmy Hoffa

TwanimusPrime is offline Moving on up...to the east side!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

But TECHNICALLY....

Pretty much. As since I'm a fan of metaphors, think of it like this.

The term "Peace Officer" is an all inclusive term like the "Soda." While Police, Sheriff, Ranger, etc.. is like Pepsi, Coke, 7-Up, Dr Pepper, etc... While each item is a lil bit different, they are all Soda.

So while Deputies, Police, Rangers, etc.. all have diifferent jurisdictions and slightly different responsibilties, they are all Peace Officers.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwanimusPrime View Post
    The term "Peace Officer" is an all inclusive term like the "Soda." While Police, Sheriff, Ranger, etc.. is like Pepsi, Coke, 7-Up, Dr Pepper, etc... While each item is a lil bit different, they are all Soda.
    ooh......

The metaphor had me assuming....but once you used the word "inclusive"...I knew it.

You went to college didn't you??

haha, j/k
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Ivory is offline Grrr I hate not working for a jail.....
    Yep...... I agree with all of them
    Life is a fleeting memory,
    It come and goes,
    But one thing will always remain.
    That is History.
    ~Erin~

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Peace Officer, here in Colorado, has a pretty broad meaning. It encompasses people like sworn fire investigators, district attorneys, deputy district attornies, etc. POLICE officer is kind of a broad term, too, generally encompassing muni cops, sheriff's deputies (road deputies), and troopers, although most use their proper titles when describing their jobs.

We used to have different levels of peace officer, I, Ia, II, III, etc. as to differentiate different statutory powers that each had....i.e. district attorneys are not POST certified, therefore they can't carry firearms etc. I think, though, that's been chenged, although i could be wrong. Would have to check.
    Last edited by 121Traffic; 09-11-06 at 11:03 PM.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Dinosaur32 is offline Long In The Tooth
    Of course New York must be different. All members of agencies with Police Officer status have the same enforcement powers. Peace Officer status, on the other hand, covers a wide variety of sins. Some agencies, such as New York City and New York State correction Officers and New York State Court Officers have enforcement powers that approximate Police status. Other agencies, such as Tax Department Investigators or Weights and Measures Inspectors, have enforcement power limited to the nature of the laws regulated by their Department. To further confuse the issue, certain agencies with Peace Officer status have permission to use the word police in their title, for example, New York City Sanitation Police Officers are not Police Officers.

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Here in SC, it don't make no difference. However, I have heard that in sole other states there is a big difference, ie: Police Officers have powers of arrest; Peace Officers have powers of arrest AND authority to serve warrants. Just what I read someplace.

Sgtaircop_one is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimebytes2 View Post

What is the difference between POLICE OFFICER and PEACE OFFICER? If there is none, why the two different terms? Thanks.

It's all the same, but just remember as a wise old FTO once told me, there is no such thing as a stupid question
    It's all fun and games, until the police arrive

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    They both wear blue and take care of society's trash.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Thread Information