Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In Your Opinion

IcyMist is offline Banned

In Your Opinion

What is the safest theft deterent for your car? What do you use?

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Lock the doors. I also have an alarm on my car. Does it work who knows. Alarms are pretty much just there for piece of mind. Also if a thief wants your car, they are going to take.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

What about Lojack? Does it really help? Or is it easy for someone to disconnect it?

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyMist
    What about Lojack? Does it really help? Or is it easy for someone to disconnect it?
    Lojack is incredibly crude for this day and age. Technology wise, it's still in the early 80's and all it will do is help the police find your car IF they have the Lojack equipment.

I'd invest in a good alarm system with an ignition disconnect feature. It's only a few hundred bucks. Rarely will a thief to go a lot of trouble to steal your car, they'll pass by the alarmed ones and go to one that doesn't have any protective devices.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Okay thanks. I do have a car alarm, besides the Lojack.

Guess I am just a little paranoid because I have had 2 cars messed with in the last 8 years. One car somebody was after the wheels for some reason. I had parked my car on the street in front of where I work and I guess they liked the rims, which weren't anything special, they came with the car and so they weren't expensive.

Second car there was more damage. I had my car at a repair shop and they ran out of room inside, so my car was one that was left outside. They had no security at the building and in the morning when someone got to work, they found my car with the door broken into (looked like they took a can opener to one door) and they broke the glass in the other window when the can opener didn't work. Police said they thought it was kids because they were able to get the motor going (ran all night), but they didn't know how to unlock the steering wheel. Unfortunately when I got there, I didnt notice that one door had the lock cut out and the officer missed it too, so I didn't get reimbursed for that. Of course the repair shop didn't point out the fact that the door was messed up so I ended up eating the cost of repairing the door. Oh well, that taught me a lesson about leaving my car at a repair shop overnight. Won't do that again unless the repair shop can guarantee that my car will be kept inside the building.

FishTail Guest
    Get one of these:

Big Black Ben

LOL ummmm I doubt I could afford him.

Verified LEO
    Lojack will only help them find the car if it's moved, maybe....

I had a windshield broken out while a car was being repaired. The owner of the shop tried to get me to lie to my insurance company about where the car was at the time and he'd pay the deductable rather than using HIS insurance company. Yeah, right.....

I'm very careful about who works on my car now. Usually, I go to the dealer if the repair is anything that will take anytime.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

I found somebody who is extremely reliable and very inexpensive. He doesn't keep cars overnight if at all possible and since he is only 10 minutes from where I live, it is no problem....at least so far. Have been going to him for 2 years now and have no complaints at all. I had problems with the dealership from day one.

seltzer is offline Member
    My father always told me that a lock is only for an honest man. If someone wants you car bad enough, they will take it. All I do is lock my doors, and NEVER leave the car running when I'm not within eye sight of it...this includes gas stations.

Clubs and all that nonsense are just a deterent...they can be overcome by a thief in a matter of minutes.
    The world is a mighty clear place once the wool is removed from ones eyes

I was horrified when I left my purse in my car once and when AAA came, they had the car open in less than a minute.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    a safety shut off switch hidden someplace that only you know will know where it is will stop the car from moving in theory. but all security systems are to make you feel better...I say get a crappy car that no one wants then you dont have to worry hehe

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I watched a tow truck driver pop open a door, literally in 4.5 seconds. We timed him.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Verified LEO
    Getting in is never a real problem. And yeah, if someone really wants your car, they'll get it. The key is to have yours harder to steal than the one parked next to it.

Ken K is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    Getting in is never a real problem. And yeah, if someone really wants your car, they'll get it. The key is to have yours harder to steal than the one parked next to it.
    Yes.

Once in you have to start it and steer it. Not as easy as it looks on TV.

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I find that a pair of these works wonders for keeping people away from my cars. In all the places I've parked my vehicles, I've never had so much as a rim stolen.

Oh what beauties you have. I tried to get my Cocker Spaniel to snarl viciously in the car, but she is afraid of riding in my car and all she does is shake. We are working on the problem and I am hoping that she will get over her fears once she is a little older. She is only 5 months old, so isn't too late for her yet.

Indy Guest
    Oh what beauties you have. I tried to get my Cocker Spaniel to snarl viciously in the car, but she is afraid of riding in my car and all she does is shake. We are working on the problem and I am hoping that she will get over her fears once she is a little older. She is only 5 months old, so isn't too late for her yet.
    Keep working with her - the more exposure to the vehicle she gets, the more comfortable she'll be. Just a sidenote, I don't encourage my dogs to snarl or bark at people passing by - them being there is more than enough deterrance. (The most annoying thing in the world is to be walking through a parking lot and have a dog freak out when you walk by its car!) I'd much rather it be a surprise if they try to break in.

When it's too hot or cold to take them with me, all doors get locked and both cars have an alarm system (though not sure how good it is, so I don't rely on it).

Something I've always heard is to try to park near street/lot lamps. Keeps the criminals away supposedly and is certainly safer when you're walking to your car alone at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Keep working with her - the more exposure to the vehicle she gets, the more comfortable she'll be. Just a sidenote, I don't encourage my dogs to snarl or bark at people passing by - them being there is more than enough deterrance. (The most annoying thing in the world is to be walking through a parking lot and have a dog freak out when you walk by its car!) I'd much rather it be a surprise if they try to break in.

When it's too hot or cold to take them with me, all doors get locked and both cars have an alarm system (though not sure how good it is, so I don't rely on it).

Something I've always heard is to try to park near street/lot lamps. Keeps the criminals away supposedly and is certainly safer when you're walking to your car alone at night.
    LOL was kidding about trying to get Penny to snarl. She is a snuggler not a snarler. She shakes so bad in the car that I have never left her in the car by herself....even in cool weather. I honestly am not sure I would have a live dog when I got back as I am really afraid that she would die of terror.

I will be working with her a lot and she will be getting more exposure to different things at the dog park after she is fixed. I don't want to chance her going into heat. Penny will be getting fixed on the 9th of January and after a couple of days I will start taking her to the park. She is going through puppy training right now and after she graduates, I will be taking her to obedience training. I won't be taking her to agility training as I am not planning on showing her, she is just part of my family.

Indy Guest
    I won't be taking her to agility training as I am not planning on showing her, she is just part of my family.
    Agility rocks. I'm taking the plunge into it for the first time (the first serious time anyway) with one of my GSD's. I can't WAIT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information