Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Cops only: Do you live in the Small Town or Neighborhood Where You Work?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 46.32%
  • No, by choice / bad neighborhood

14 14.74%
  • No, I wish I could but I can't afford to

5 5.26%
  • No, other reason

32 33.68%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Poll: Do You Live in the Neighborhood Where You Work?

Do you live in the Town or Neighborhood where you work?
    Why or why not?
    Would you like to if you could?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

bufford408 is offline Just green and furry all over
    I live in the county where I work. Went to work here in 2000 and liked it so much I moved.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yes

and I may regret it.

I'm moving later this month, awesome home, but location is kinda shitty. Criminal types live in the general neighborhood. I don't care though. I don't expect any problems from them.

But we'll see. I'm not concerned now, but I might be regretting a few months down the road.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

JLK
    JLK is offline Protecting Those That Can't Protect Themselves
    Verified LEO
    don't live where i work. the areas that i could afford are bad. the areas that i might live can't afford. even if i could afford the area i would not.

"A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others."
    Ben

The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented
    on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you
    expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have
    brought my rifle."
    (just stole this one hope you don't mind)

The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant,
    it is just that they know so much that isn't so.
    President Ronald Reagan

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I chose to not live in the same city I work for several reasons. The biggest reason I like living out of my city is to have a break from the "office". Yeah, I'm an LEO 24/7 but not having to shop with the folks I've arrested, being able to eat with some anonimity in restaurants (where the cook won't be spitting in my food), etc., is priceless. I wanted to live closer to the ocean and in a better climate. Plus, I wanted a bigger house than what was available in my city of employment at the time I was buying.

Even if my exact house was available in the city I work in, I still wouldn't want to live there. I'm fortunate that my department doesn't have a residency requirement!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

pc830cop is offline Just another squirrel looking for a NUT
    Verified LEO
    In my previous department I used to live in the next county, since deputies had to work the jail when first hired and we get idiots from all over.

I now live in the town next to where I work, but that did not deter a crook fom vandalizing my vehicle. It stems from my department not having separate parking facilities and a crook's family saw the car I drive to work. They broke my electric antenna and wrote "fucking wannabe pig." I didn't notice the vandalism until I left work, turned on the radio, the antenna rose then starting banging against the rear quarterpanel.

It's bad enough I run into some of the crooks at the mall!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have always found it better to live in a different area to where I work.
    Its just a little more relaxing to know your not going to meet up with yesterdays clients when your out with the family.

Having said that it doesn't take long for everyone around to know what you do for a living and come knocking your door for advice etc.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Not a chance... I work in a hell hole. Love working there, couldn't pay me to live there. For example, tonight in my district: 2 shootings (with one guy ending up dead), 1 stabbing, a sex assault, and a hit and run accident. Not really typically that much stuff in one shift, but shit... too much to live there!

CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO
    I live about 28 miles away in another county.

I have to because I couldn't afford a house and the land I need in the city or county where my PD is.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

Thanks...

One other question I also had was, how would you take it if your town offered you a small yearly bonus (say $500 - $1000) for living in the town a full calendar year, without making residency a requirement (except perhaps for the Chief)?

Obviously, it is in the Town's interest to have off-duty cops and fire people living close by, in case of emergency (plane crash, tornado, riot, major crime, etc).

(\__/)

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    it was required here that you live in the county in order to work it.. but that has been lifted... you just wont get a take home car if you live out of the county.
    i have a place in the county and out of it so if i need some fresh air i can get it lol
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I don't live in the same town, I am not sure I would want to be that close to where I work. Don't poop in your own backyard, ya know? It is a nice enough town, but we get more than our fair share of dumb. I want my family safe.

As far as the second question, the town was going to give me special pricing on a house in one of their new houses, but...I had just bought my house and again, I ain't living where I'm crapping.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Yes I do. I wish I lived outside the city in the county, but my house is in the 'best' side of town.. in city limits but removed from the 'hood where I work.
    '
    So I got that goin for me, which is nice..
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

badboys1517 is offline Rookie
    I live 2 towns away by choice and am glad for a few reasons. When I'm out in town, not everyone knows I'm a cop, I don't run into all the people I deal with on a daily basis, noneo of the shit bags that I lock up know where I live, and if I call in sick, they can't "drive by" the house to see if I'm home. On the other hand, I am not able to go home for dinner or holidays if I'm working.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bufford408 View Post
    I live in the county where I work. Went to work here in 2000 and liked it so much I moved.

What he said.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

I live in the county I work in as well as the Patrol Zone I cover. Its a good mix and I am on the border to the sort of ghetto. My friends say I have denial others say I am the landlord!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

And in case you don't speak Latin.......If you want peace, prepare for war.

I've been places, seen and done things that would make most cry. I've fought along side and against better men then most I come across day to day, i've put my life on the line more then once for things you take for granted and for those you have lost respect for. I don't tell you this for your pity or respect but for you to remember me.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    I dont live where I work, I left the city and 10 years behind because I didnt want to live there anymore and have my kids go to the lovely city skools.
    My current dept. is a nice town with good schools but I chose to live in another town about 10 miles away.
    Would I move in for a small fee? Not unless it could pay off my credit card debt...
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Thanks guys!

Well, the council didn't entertain my idea about a residence incentive anyway... But they did come up with some small salary increases. Maybe next year.

(\__/)

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Thanks...

One other question I also had was, how would you take it if your town offered you a small yearly bonus (say $500 - $1000) for living in the town a full calendar year, without making residency a requirement (except perhaps for the Chief)?

Obviously, it is in the Town's interest to have off-duty cops and fire people living close by, in case of emergency (plane crash, tornado, riot, major crime, etc).
    My department recently began an offer of $2,500 for current officers, $5,000 for new-hires, to move into the city as an incentive. It's a one-time bonus. Sorry, I can pick up some overtime shifts if I want that extra $2,500 and continue to live in a much nicer area. I live close enough that I can be in the city, grab my cruiser, and ready to roll in 45 minutes or better, depending on the time of day. A couple of weeks ago, I got called in after a homicide. I was at the station, putting my gear in my cruiser in 30 minutes. Probably the only major emergency that would delay my availability would be a major earthquake, since there's so many bridges/overpasses on my route(s) to work. Then again, my 4x4 truck would help in that situation!

The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Right now I live in the county I work....when my house is finished being built, I will not live in the county where I work.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information