Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    besafe2 is offline Rookie

Flashlight question

I am a big fan of Surefire Lights. I own the 6P & E2E. I also have all the "D"Mags & some training in self defense with flashlights. My question is what flashlight do you use on duty & also does your dept. have a "use of force"policy regarding flashlights ? Also what lights do you use "off duty" ?
    Please stay safe in all you do, also know I pray for each of you daily. Thank you for all you do. On Twitter at
    www.twitter.com/coachrowsey

Paul

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I used a Streamlight XT Stinger on duty. It's not exactly big enough to be used as a force option against somebody (about 5-ish inches long). Especially since I carry an ASP, I don't plan on using my flashlight on anyone anytime soon. My dept. doesn't have a use of force policy specifically for flashlights, but it says something about "expandable batons and other instruments used for striking a combative subject"

or something like that.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

seltzer is offline Member
    I use a Pelican M11 Black Knight series. Small enough to not be in the way, yet bright enough for searching. Only problems with the light are the batteries jiggle (solved with a wedge of paper), and it gets HOT if left on for several minutes. So hot it has distorted the lense. But, they will replace it for as long as I own it, so IMO that is good practice for them.
    The world is a mighty clear place once the wool is removed from ones eyes

bagman is offline Junior Member
    I'm a bit of a torch (sorry I mean flashlight ) fan and so carry/use loads

My duty belt carry is a Blackhawk Gladius plus a Surefire E2D body with an E2C adapter and 6P bezel running a P90 bulb on rechargeable 123's.

My duty bag light for the car is a Tigerlight (which I forgot to bring home and charge last night )

Off duty I always have my HDS EDC 42GT in my pocket.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    My department's only policy regarding use of force and flashlights was that whatever equipment you used to bang someone on the noggin had better be approved by the Chief. We could carry any light we wanted, within reason, once it was approved. Ball point pens, fists, and rocks were also approved for head stabbing/bashing as the situation warrants.

Curt581 is offline Whatever
    Verified LEO
    I use an old 2D cell Maglite. I know... I'm still in the Stone Age.

We're actually trained NOT to use the flashlight as an impact weapon. If we are forced to use it that way, we have to demonstrate that there was no other alternative, like defending against a sudden assault.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I use an old 2D cell Maglite. I know... I'm still in the Stone Age.
    That's what we got issued, but after using a rechargeable Strion from Streamlight, I was hooked. That thing is BRIGHT, and you just plug it to charge the batteries. On the downside, if you DO need to pop someone in the head with it, you may as well hit them with a pencil.

kdm0409 is offline ^ Female Deputy
    I have one of the rechargeable mags that stays in my car, they finally got the charger installed. I also carry a stinger streamlight, its too small to use as a weapon. The dept where I am now does not have anything stating whether you can or cannot use a flashlight as a "defense". My old department at the campus pd stated that "in no way shap or form are you to use your flashlight as any type of defense weapon, no matter the circumstances. You are to drop the flashlight and get to your spray, asp, or gun, whatever the situation calls for." We were doing a swat training on building entry with the city pd, we were all relaxed kidding around,when the major decides to turn the power off to our building b/c we weren't doing the things he wanted. Well, to get to the point, we are doing the diamond formation, I'm on the left side, we are going down the hall, my mag lite in hand,come to a door opening, the major lunges and "WHACK" he gets knocked on the head with the mag. It was funny but I knew I couldn't laugh. (everyone else was) I felt like a kid who got in trouble...I had to sit and wait in the chief's office until he got back. The major wanted to suspend me, but the chief thought it was funny. I got "lectured" on the general order about flashlights and I had to appologize in front of everyone. (Hell it was worth it, I hated that major there anyways!!!)
    It is better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
    ______________________________ __________
    An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
    ______________________________ __________
    In vino veritas!

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by besafe2
    I am a big fan of Surefire Lights. I own the 6P & E2E. I also have all the "D"Mags & some training in self defense with flashlights. My question is what flashlight do you use on duty & also does your dept. have a "use of force"policy regarding flashlights ? Also what lights do you use "off duty" ?

None off duty, I have used Steam lights for years, I stand by the product it is most excellent, I don't carry a flashlight off duty because I like to linger in the dark..

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PACMAN
    None off duty, I have used Steam lights for years, I stand by the product it is most excellent, I don't carry a flashlight off duty because I like to linger in the dark..

Steam powered lights? Now THAT is old school

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I use an ultra-stinger and a strion that i love. i have scorpion in my POV. We dont have a use of force that deals with flashlights by name. I use the old "I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6" policy when it comes to that
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Indy Guest
    I don't carry a flashlight off duty because I like to linger in the dark..
    Ah...so that was you I saw out my window last night...

Indy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt581

We're actually trained NOT to use the flashlight as an impact weapon. If we are forced to use it that way, we have to demonstrate that there was no other alternative, like defending against a sudden assault.
    Would you have to be able to justify lethal force if you knocked someone upside the head with it? I've heard conflicting things on that...I guess maybe it depends on the departments policy?

PACMAN is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy
    Ah...so that was you I saw out my window last night...
    tryin to steal on of those good lookin pups, nice pictures thanks for sharing, but as I told Mountain cop, to dam cold for this boy I will stay in the southwest....

Indy Guest
    tryin to steal on of those good lookin pups...
    Ahh...good luck with that! You'll be met by a chorus of "grrrr."

Billiardnut is offline Attack Pug Dog Handler
    I keep a maglight rechargeable in my car and switch off and on between rechargeable surefires (one has high beam head other has normal head on it)
    I use the surefires the most simply because they provide enough light and I can keep one on my belt.

As far as an impact weapon .... our use of force policy states we can use any item that we can get our hands on if crap has hit the fan.
    Member of the Pervert Patrol - making sure the pervs are tracked and up-to-date.
    National Sex Offender Public Registry
    www.nsopr.gov

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Used to carry a stinger on duty, loved it, great light,
    just replaced it with the Blackhawk Gladius and love that more.

No off duty carry for me, and no I am not a peeper like PACMAN

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO
    I carry a Surefire X200 on my duty weapon, a Surfire aviator in my cargo pocket, a streamlight stinger on the duty belt and a 3 cell rechargable mag light in the car. Our flashlights and impact weapons are considered one in the same just as long as the same techniques are applied in delivering blows. I kind of like the flashlight as an impact weapon better than my collapsable baton. Offduty I carry a surefire executive.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

slick628 is offline Rollin' Deep
    Verified LEO
    I don't have it handy, but I use a Streamlight, it's got the regular bulb and the three LEDs, it's equivilant in size to 3 D Cell flashlight...our dept. won't let us get anything bigger, but we are authorized to use it as an impact weapon. It's been used many times, and dropped many times and works like it just came out of package.
    "That's how we roll"

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Not much of you guys use maglites.... is there anyspecial reason??? or just personal pref.. i havent gotten that far in school yet where i learn about alot of the the equipment. but i got a 4D mag in my car and use a 3D at work (security) and i have found them to work wonderfully

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information