Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Ask-the-public: Expectations of Police.

Here's a twist; rather than asking our staff and membership about their experiences with the public, I wanted to take some time to allow replies and responses from the public about the police.

What are your expectations of the Police?

Do you believe those expectations are met by some/most/all law enforcement officers?

What do you think can or should improve about the police in your community or State?

Let's keep it lively, on point, and civil, please. If this catches on (without an insane amount of trolling), I'd like to consider it for a regular forum area.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Here's a twist; rather than asking our staff and membership about their experiences with the public, I wanted to take some time to allow replies and responses from the public about the police.

What are your expectations of the Police?

Do you believe those expectations are met by some/most/all law enforcement officers?

What do you think can or should improve about the police in your community or State?

Let's keep it lively, on point, and civil, please. If this catches on (without an insane amount of trolling), I'd like to consider it for a regular forum area.
    My expectations of Law Enforcement are, in no particular order, to be well versed in law (state/local statutes, code etc), to have resources to research areas in which they aren't as familiar. I expect law enforcement to combine that with a well-honed sense, that being common sense. They should be unbiased, fair and objective, realizing each situation is fluid and different. The ability to cut through the bs to determine the truth of the situation is essential. A proffesional attitude is necessary, and the ability to communicate and to get others to communicate is vital. Teamwork is a requirement.

All of the officers I've dealt with seem to demonstrate such characteristics. I know not all do, but I think that generally those people that don't, don't last.

In my town, I'd like to see more interaction between the police and the public, kind of like a community policing type program. We currently do not have 24 hour police force, and I would like to see them fill the vacant full time officer position to facilitate that.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I expect LEOs to enforce the law and respond to emergencies without abusing their power. I believe that most not only do this but also make sacrifices no one should expect them to make. I wouldn't expect anyone to make less than a living wage or suffer sleep deprivation on a regular basis just to do their jobs, but many LEOs do that. No one should be expected to give their lives just to do their job, but some LEOs do that as well. I think LEOs should be paid enough to enable them to support themselves and their families without having to work multiple jobs or a lot of overtime, hired in enough numbers so that they won't always be outnumbered in high-risk situations, and allowed to keep the same shift for long periods of time, rather than having to mess up their sleep patterns by moving frequently from one shift to another.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Food for thought.

This was the 'accepted answer' to that question according to justanswer.com's submitter "WriterG" on 11-13-2009:

- Today's society harbors a great and diverse number of crimes to be handled and safety measures to be taken care of. The main role of a police officer in today's society is to maintain order as well as keep peace and enforce laws. Police officers must ensure that all citizens are safe and secure, even those who are committing the crimes. Police officers in today's society play the role of enforcing laws, keeping citizens protected, and preventing major disasters (such as a car accident become a ten car pile up).

The expectations of a police officer in today's society are for him or her to stay in pristine physical condition and staying sharp and knowledgeable in the field of criminal justice and law enforcement.

Societies expectations of the police in today's society could be slightly overwhelming and over exaggerated. When expectations are blown too out of proportion, police cannot live up to the level of service which they were thought to possess. Expectations of police officers in today's society can be a little exaggerated but they actually do play an extremely important and vital part keeping our society running.
    Agree or disagree?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Food for thought.

This was the 'accepted answer' to that question according to justanswer.com's submitter "WriterG" on 11-13-2009:

Today's society harbors a great and diverse number of crimes to be handled and safety measures to be taken care of. The main role of a police officer in today's society is to maintain order as well as keep peace and enforce laws. Police officers must ensure that all citizens are safe and secure, even those who are committing the crimes. Police officers in today's society play the role of enforcing laws, keeping citizens protected, and preventing major disasters (such as a car accident become a ten car pile up).

The expectations of a police officer in today's society are for him or her to stay in pristine physical condition and staying sharp and knowledgeable in the field of criminal justice and law enforcement.

Societies expectations of the police in today's society could be slightly overwhelming and over exaggerated. When expectations are blown too out of proportion, police cannot live up to the level of service which they were thought to possess. Expectations of police officers in today's society can be a little exaggerated but they actually do play an extremely important and vital part keeping our society running.
    Agree or disagree?
    I agree with some of it, but find other parts of it hyperbolic. It's impossible, for instance, for anyone to "ensure that all citizens are safe and secure" without putting the entire population on suicide watch in solitary confinement. And no one can stay in "pristine physical condition" all the time, as everyone ages and occasionally suffers illnesses or injuries ("pristine" is also an odd adjective to use here--the author probably meant "good" or "tiptop" instead of "pristine").

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I expect LEOs to enforce the law and respond to emergencies without abusing their power.
    Agreed. Unfortunately what one person will view as abuse, or excessive use of force, can actually be within lawful confines, policy, and, in some cases, what is expected and or necessary.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Agreed. Unfortunately what one person will view as abuse, or excessive use of force, can actually be within lawful confines, policy, and, in some cases, what is expected and or necessary.
    As we all know, we use the amount of physical force to control the situation. In some cases the public sees this as abusing our authority, but in today's society and in certain neighborhoods, force must be met with force. It's a very fine line we walk each and every day, but if we can look at ourselves in the mirror and know we are doing the best we can, that is enough for me.........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Some think it's abuse anytime they or their friends and family members get arrested or ticketed.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I expect the police to be profession, fair and firm, using common sense in dealing with each, individual situation.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    I expect "you" to be honest.
    I expect "you" to be fair
    I expect "you" to be compassionate
    I expect "you" to care
    I expect "you" to not be racist
    I expect "you" to be professional
    I expect "you" to trustworthy ~~

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Some think it's abuse anytime they or their friends and family members get arrested or ticketed.
    oh my, how grown up out little girl has gotten
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Thread Information