Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

How fast is "too fast?"

Ask-the-public topic:

At what speed over the limit do you think a driver should be ticketed?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Good question CB. Depends on why I am stopping said offender. Is he/she just speeding or does this car scream "Stop me...I have warrants".

If it is just speed, I never bother for less than 10 or 15 over unless it is in a school zone or there are other factors (children/park/heavy traffic/etc).

If the vehicle or driver have gotten my attention for other activities, then 1 over is enough.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Good question CB. Depends on why I am stopping said offender. Is he/she just speeding or does this car scream "Stop me...I have warrants".

If it is just speed, I never bother for less than 10 or 15 over unless it is in a school zone or there are other factors (children/park/heavy traffic/etc).

If the vehicle or driver have gotten my attention for other activities, then 1 over is enough.

Car 4
    I'd love to pick your brain for a few hours. Just going over the I pulled you over for this but I stopped you for that would enough to keep us busy for a bit me thinks.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Depends on conditions, and I don't just mean the weather. However fast I'm going seems about right.

That's often below the posted limit, but going down that road more would just inspire me to try to hijack this thread to talk about tailgaters. I was an unwilling participant in a recent case of those causing traffic to flow even more slowly just the other day...sorry...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A lot of times it does depend on conditions, both traffic wise and weather wise.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I'd love to pick your brain for a few hours. Just going over the I pulled you over for this but I stopped you for that would enough to keep us busy for a bit me thinks.
    I am at your service, sir....although my old brain can't really afford to be abused too much.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I guess personally I think 10 and over is ticketworthy. Anything less I think should get a warning..but as others have said, it depends on the conditions. 10 over in a school zone is a lot more ticketworthy than 10 over on a dry interstate.

Then again, I got a ticket for 77 in a 70 a couple of months ago...lol
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I cite for 16mph over. I still stay busy.

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    I think that as long as you are not driving like an idiot swerving in and out of traffic that 15 over the posted limit on an interstate should be allowed.

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    15 over, but that can be compromised by traffic and/or weather conditions
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    I think 10 mph and over is fair, but I get to drive fast for fun anyway?

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    5 mph over on dry roads or as conditions allow (snow, ice).
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ms1600 View Post
    5 mph over on dry roads or as conditions allow (snow, ice).
    I see a future MP.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Geez - if I stopped people for 5 over, I'd never get to any of my calls. I'd stop about 150 cars a day, my pens would all be broken or bent, and I'd have to carry a stack of cite books in my car.
    Idiot

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I see a future MP.
    Does it show that I went to school for 6 years on Eielson AFB? No thanks, I wouldn't want to be an MP or Security Forces or whatever they are called these days.

I haven't got a speeding ticket in 15 years for not going more than 5 over or as conditions allow.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have always used 15 over, unless circumstances such as a school zone or weather made that too fast.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

APB Guest
    10-15 over, depending on circumstances. Also HOW you are driving, not just how fast. If you endanger, you deserve the ticket.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Depends on where it's at. Neighborhood streets, I say 7 max. Other than that I don't write speeding tickets. But I will write for reckless driving. At least chew you out for it. I don't believe that speeding causes wrecks. Stupid drivers do. Tailgating especially-biggest pet peave.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I think there should be no tolerance for 25 MPH neighborhood streets.

Maybe 10 mph for 40-mph city streets, and 15-20 over for freeways with light traffic. Around here, 80 MPH on a 60 MPH freeway is pretty normal. If the traffic is light, so they don't have to weave all over the place to maintain that speed.

I think anything above 80 should get a ticket, regardless. A good percentsge of people around Dallas will go 90 mph if traffic will let them. That's just too fast to do it for very long, even though I must admit I loved to do the 120+ MPH sprints trying to catch one of those 90 MPH speeders. Of course, that was only if the freeway was clear. It was too dangerous in traffic, with ma and pa Kettle pulling in front of us going one-third the speed.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information