Welcome to the APBWeb.
    countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

What's the best thing you've seen a cop do?

Ask-the-public topic:

What is the best thing you've ever personally seen a cop do?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Get up and go to work every day, knowing that few people really appreciate the job that they do.

1ATony is offline Rookie
    You guys might enjoy this...lol

There was a local cop working a detail over here and he has a pro streeted 94 Camaro with a big blower sticking out of the hood that's almost level with the roof,wig wags hidden inside and the town decals all over it.It's pretty awsome.

So this was parked in front of my garage when I pulled into my driveway. I walked over to the officer and said, he you want to do a quick photo shoot when you're off duty?

He started laughing and goes why what's hiding in the garage, so I told them I had a 92 Mustang in there.

I fired up the Mustang and he goes "Hey you've got a blower too,why haven't I seen you around town" so I replied "I was hiding from yah"...LOL

So I pulled out the stang and we staged the cars and took a few quick pictures. It was allot of fun.

I sent a picture of it to Vortech superchargers, and said it stinks when your 12 second Mustang gets pulled over by a 9 second police car.They got a good laugh at it.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's pretty cool, but why does a Mustang need a blower to be a 12 second car?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

1ATony is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    That's pretty cool, but why does a Mustang need a blower to be a 12 second car?
    When they came out the 1/4 mile ET was about a 15.1 on a 87-93 stang with an AOD

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I've seen a cop perform CPR on someone who was horrifically injured.

A cop followed me into my parking lot as I was coming home alone late one night and lit up my doorway because the power was out in my subdivision and it was completely dark outside.

A cop helped me relax a little by making me laugh after I'd been very shaken when a deer ran into my car.

*snicker* is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    I have seen one take christmas gifts to a house after he took a report that day of someone stealing money from a single mother in the projects around christmas time.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I have seen various deputies save a number of lives......I did one of them.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    -On several occasions, after we drop off desserts at one of the departments, an officer will take home our containers and wash them out for us.

-Just this past week, a deputy saved us from having to make another trip and did a delivery of cookies to another department for us.

-And again, years ago, a deputy saved us a trip in foggy conditions and made a delivery to another department.

-Helped us get through my daughter's accident by offering to answer any questions we had (and she was at fault) and asking how we were doing emotionally. Very supportive.

-A Chief offered to do whatever it took to help my daughter and I go on a Citizen's Academy field trip to a corrections facility. (We haven't yet but just the offer of doing whatever it would take, stands out in my mind).

-Several officers getting together to raise money ($380) for an officer injured in the line of duty.

-Many, many more instances of officers willing to do anything for someone they barely know, no matter how small or how inconvenienced they were.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    I've seen a Police Officer fish a GI Joe out of the sewer for a sad little kid.

Sam
    Sam is offline I do not like green eggs and ham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan701 View Post
    I've seen a Police Officer fish a GI Joe out of the sewer for a sad little kid.
    Nice sometimes it is the little things that mean the most!

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    A nice officer kept feeding me alcoholic drinks for a DUI wet lab and then made sure I had a ride home.

A Trooper sent his final report to me soon after he had concluded his part of the investigation of a workplace fatatlity I was working. (It was my first case on my own).

When we were in Beijing, we were lost and looking for a Science Museum. Our interpreter/guide was scared to death of the Chinese police, but we had no problems going up to a marked police car to get directions. Through our limited Chinese and his limited English he was able to direct us to the museum.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

MeUGENe is offline Rookie
    I watched a state trooper in a charger smoke a county boy in a crown vic while i was on my way home from the dragstrip. (im a mopar guy)

one time after a monster truck rally in the dead of winter. we were standing outside and they were packing people into the shuttles like sardines, a few officers drove up and gave rides to people with children.

when i worked for the DPW a city cop literally stopped 4 lanes of traffic to let school kids cross the street.

at my cousins funeral the day after christmas the police came out and stopped traffic because our procession was over a mile long.

i know the last one was asked of them by somebody but it still sticks out in my mind.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    To the extent of asking for directions: Me, my aunt, and younger cousin were stopping in Knoxville to grab something to eat on our way back from WV. We got lost and ended up in a not so good looking part of town. We happened to see a KPD car and flagged him down and got directions. He was very nice about it.

JohnSmith is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    This is one of my favorite threads here, and the following reasons are probably the biggest factors that lead to me choosing LE.

I was a young kid, maybe 6 or 7, living in a nice LA suburb. I was riding my bicycle with my folks, wearing a helmet because they always made me. An Officer stopped, and gave me a coupon for a free ice cream cone because I was wearing my helmet.

While at college, I was waiting in line at Chic-Fil-A, and there was a cop joining his coworkers in the line next to me. When he got up, the employee said "The lady in front of you is paying for your meal, and she said thank you." The Officer ordered, then laid down a 10 dollar bill and said buy the next guy's meal with this. The Officer didn't even think, just laid down the bill, and said that so quietly and confidently. I was impressed like you couldn't believe.

Because of these, I make it a point to do these sorts of things for the people we don't see very often, like the citizen who goes to work, mows his yard, raises his kids, and loves his wife. Ya, tell me the last time you talked to one of them! Over the summer I went into a locally owned sandwich shop to grab some lunch on duty. While sitting there 3 skateboarders came inside and had a seat on the couches, just enjoying the A/C I'm sure. I knew they weren't/couldn't buy anything, but they looked like good kids, probably 12 years old or so. Jeans that fit, decent shirts, etc. I don't know, just completely opposite the wannabe gang bangers I'm used to seeing here. I went up to the counter, and bought them each an ice cream cone, then as I walked out, I told them to go grab their ice creams. Their jaws hit the floor and I got a thank you from each one. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn (The cones were 49 cents each!), I'm saying it because, there is not a single other thing I've done at work that gave me as much pride in my job, my department, my city, and my badge than what I did that day. It felt amazing. Try it sometime, I'm serious, it brightened my entire life up.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I watched as two separate cops simultaneously ponied up cash for an elderly lady who had given her last $20 to a neighbor kid to go buy her a couple of grocery items from the corner store. When the kid didn't show back up, the two supervisors just handed her the cash, without even discussing it with one another, and in spite of her protests over it. They both just had the same thought, at the same time, and did it as if without even giving it a thought.

I knew right then that I had two of the finest men I've ever worked with as my direct-line supers.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    "Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me"....

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith View Post
    This is one of my favorite threads here, and the following reasons are probably the biggest factors that lead to me choosing LE.

I was a young kid, maybe 6 or 7, living in a nice LA suburb. I was riding my bicycle with my folks, wearing a helmet because they always made me. An Officer stopped, and gave me a coupon for a free ice cream cone because I was wearing my helmet.

While at college, I was waiting in line at Chic-Fil-A, and there was a cop joining his coworkers in the line next to me. When he got up, the employee said "The lady in front of you is paying for your meal, and she said thank you." The Officer ordered, then laid down a 10 dollar bill and said buy the next guy's meal with this. The Officer didn't even think, just laid down the bill, and said that so quietly and confidently. I was impressed like you couldn't believe.

Because of these, I make it a point to do these sorts of things for the people we don't see very often, like the citizen who goes to work, mows his yard, raises his kids, and loves his wife. Ya, tell me the last time you talked to one of them! Over the summer I went into a locally owned sandwich shop to grab some lunch on duty. While sitting there 3 skateboarders came inside and had a seat on the couches, just enjoying the A/C I'm sure. I knew they weren't/couldn't buy anything, but they looked like good kids, probably 12 years old or so. Jeans that fit, decent shirts, etc. I don't know, just completely opposite the wannabe gang bangers I'm used to seeing here. I went up to the counter, and bought them each an ice cream cone, then as I walked out, I told them to go grab their ice creams. Their jaws hit the floor and I got a thank you from each one. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn (The cones were 49 cents each!), I'm saying it because, there is not a single other thing I've done at work that gave me as much pride in my job, my department, my city, and my badge than what I did that day. It felt amazing. Try it sometime, I'm serious, it brightened my entire life up.
    That's a great post.

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class
    one that i will never forget, i was 12 years old. just found out my grandpa died (was like a dad to me) and i ran out of the house a nervous wreck. it was about 1am and a LEO spotted me at the park and came to ask me what i was doing out. when he noticed i was crying he sat down next to me and talked to me for about 20-30 minutes. he then brought me home talked to my mom for a bit and was on his way. for about a month he would stop by to see how i was doing. maybe something similar happen to him when he was younger but he definetly went out of his way. i still have small talk with him when i see him around.

another one was me and my friends were playing baseball at the park and a few older kids took our ball. an older lady who saw it called the cops. when the cops got there they asked us what happen and left. he came back 10 minutes later with a bag full of new ones.

i cant just point out these 2 occasions though. by me they really try to be close with the community. they do tons of things with the kids which i think makes a big impact.

Thread Information