Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ms1600 View Post
    I believe if I had just graduated the academy and were sworn in, the first order of business is to buy my FTO coffee.
    We don't pay for coffee, remember?
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    We get free coffee. Some places, anyway.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Learn.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

N2Fowl is offline Hey I'm a breast man!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    +1

I was so excited for my first shift on my own, then when it came and I finally rolled out on my own without anyone over my shoulder monitoring me, I was scared to death. The gravity of how much responsibility you carry really hits you at that moment.
    HAHA

You ain't lying. As soon as I get out on the road got one at 65 in a 45. My first ticket to write on my own. I didn't screw anything up. But I was nervous as all get out. I had just got off of night shift and it was my last shift with my FTO. I started on day shift on my own. That was kind of weird.

Then my first call. It was a business alarm. I handled it perfectly.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by N2Fowl View Post
    Then my first call. It was a business alarm. I handled it perfectly.

10-42 is offline Sheepdog
    Listen and look for turds, then learn the hangouts...
    Of every one hundred men, ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One... One of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others back.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Getting past the Field Training stage without strangling my FTO or vice versa.

Ok, assuming I'm past that, my first order of business would be to back up as many officers as I could, to try to gain their trust and increase their willingness to back me up! At the little town I reserved in, a lot of emphasis is placed on backing up the Deputies and DPS, even if it was technically out of our jurisdiction. In turn, some of them would always show up if we had something major going on. That was pretty important, since we only had one unit on duty at any specific time.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

tweakerseeker is offline Hunter of Men
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MeUGENe View Post
    desk pop

I just laughed until I cried! Well played, MeUGENe. Well Played.
    "There is no 'nice' way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we're too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our face. We want them to 'take care of the problem.' We just don't want to see how its done."
    - Charles H. Webb, Ph.d

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "tweakerseeker" on Officerresource.com

MeUGENe is offline Rookie

Deputy347k9 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Though a good number of years has now gone by I do remember my very first week on the road, all alone! Having retired from the Marine Corps after 20 years you would have thought this would be easy as pie, WRONG! I was so nervous thinking I was going to screw something up, I did. During the first week I was running traffic in Harrison, Maine when I flipped on a speeding vehicle. When backing I did not see the VERY large boulder beside the road, yup I hit it with the rear right quarter of my newly issued cruiser! To hell with the speeder how in God's name am I going to explain this? Being on probation for six months I figured I would be hunting for another job soon. The entire day I was able to dodge Sergeant Goddard, when he would call to meet up for a coffee I would tell him I was 10-6 (busy). Didn't run any more traffic that day as all I could think about was the damage I had caused. Finally an idea came to light!

Knowing the owner of a local body shop I telephoned and was able to get the unit in directly after my shift at 1700. Thank God our cruisers are issued to each officer! The men at the body shop worked on my car from 1701 hours through out the night. Cruiser was finished at about 0600. Looked better then the day it rolled of the line! About $1,500.00 later I was on the road again and finally able to meet up with the Sergeant! I was lucky none of the decals were damaged!

Later on, as officers are like old women, the word got back to the Sergeant who confronted me with the issue. Quickly I told him why I handled the problem my self. He told me shit happens and that is why we are insured and not to ever pay out of my pocket again, he even paid for my coffee that day! So, for the first four weeks or about I worked for nothing!

Larry
    Deputy347K9

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class
    well i think it would depend on where i was working. if its the department im looking into (my town) i would hide out where everyone speeds. (everyone has roads on their daily commute where you know for a fact cops never radar there so you can go a little faster).

true story: was talking to a buddy of mine who was talking about a possible speed trap next week. i told him they should do it at a certain place for this reason. mainly where kids go hangout and "race". the sarg thanked me the info the next day, he thinks that was the most tickets he has ever written, even got a few arrest out of it.

come to think of it though. the 1st call i would get. no matter how minor it was. i would most likely hall ass with lights and sirens goin like it was ww3

1*girl is offline Very possible academy start date in 2012!
    Try not to catch rookie disease...?

Then go on a dope hunt (freakin' drug nazi over here). Or at least that's what I'm always looking for on my ride alongs lol.

Traffic Goddess is offline soon to be "Law Goddess"
    South-Central PA or somehere on the Chesapeake Bay aboard our boat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Probably exactly what I did on my first shift.... ride around thinking "Oh Lord don't let me screw anything up."
    LOL! One of the truest answers I have seen. I remember feeling the same way. My first shift didn't include any type of field training, seriously! The Chief assumed that the academy taught us everything. He handed me the keys to a patrol car and told me to call him if I needed help. I look back now and I am amazed that I survived...barely 100 lbs. and just turned 21 yrs old. Wow.
    Remembering Officer Richard Phelps, Lemoyne (PA) PD, EOW- 7/11/89

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I think we were ALL that guy , at least a little bit.
    AND!!, I think we know people that are "that guy" everyday of their LEO career. hehe
    Hey I didn't know that there was a camera there that day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information