Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OMG, lights and siren!!!?

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    On 99.9% of my calls I will attempt to run silent.Since most are on rural highways,this generally isnt a problem,few calls to the office(POed "good citizens"),a check of CAD and good to go.

BUT,this Friday,I am rolling to accident with injury.To get there I first need to negotiate partially through town,going balls to the walls code 3,turn onto a narrow street that I have to be on for 1 freakin block as it is a zig zag type thing(think half a swastika _l ),anyway I have a ford ranger in front of me,and bless his hawt he is trying to get over,at the same time a dumbass is backing out of her driveway in a big SUV.Does she pull back in??? NO!!,does she hurry and finish executing her maneuver???NO!!,she STOPS!!with her vehicle now in a classic"roadblock"and,wait for it,----ya ready?????,you will swear I am lying-------,SHE EXITS THE VEHICLE TO APPROACH ME,thankfully(for her) the Ranger pulled into the driveway she just backed out of and I get by,as I pass I see her,and Yep,no bout adout it,blond as the day is long.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavriktu View Post
    ),anyway I have a ford ranger in front of me,and bless his hawt he is trying to get over,at the same time a dumbass is backing out of her driveway in a big SUV.Does she pull back in??? NO!!,does she hurry and finish executing her maneuver???NO!!,she STOPS!!with her vehicle now in a classic"roadblock"and,wait for it,----ya ready?????,you will swear I am lying-------,SHE EXITS THE VEHICLE TO APPROACH ME,thankfully(for her) the Ranger pulled into the driveway she just backed out of and I get by,as I pass I see her,and Yep,no bout adout it,blond as the day is long.

The only thing that would have been funnier is if she actually managed to stop you long enough to ask for directions.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan701 View Post
    I pull over to the right when I can safely. Sometimes other motorists freak out and get in my way of doing so, which could end up causing an accident. If that's the case I try to get out of the way as soon as possible for the emergency vehicle. (pulling to the right)

Is this OK? Or is there something different you would rather motorist to do?
    Virginia law says to pull over to the nearest shoulder as soon as you can do so safely. The code no longer specifies the right shoulder -- which actually makes sense on a 4 lane plus road... Other state laws may vary.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post

The only thing that would have been funnier is if she actually managed to stop you long enough to ask for directions.
    Can you say a Punch in the mouth?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Can you say a Punch in the mouth?
    Or at least give her the wrong directions.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I usually try to just get off the road if I can, by turning right into a parking lot or something - but the last fire truck I was behind, I just flipped a U-turn while he was still about a block away. Traffic was too heavy to pull right, and it was stop-and-go in front of me.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Ryan, you're correct. Just put on your right turn signal so that we know that you're trying and a reasonable officer should get the hint.

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    Given this, most department policies for emergency response clearly dictate that responders are to stay to the left-most right-of-way to allow vehicles ahead to react and move right accordingly. If an emergency vehicle moves right to pass, and the vehicle ahead responds as directed by law, a collision hazard is created, and the emergency vehicle's response is slowed by the confusion created as drivers attempt to assume to move other than as legally required to get out of the way.
    +1 Got dinged on this as a rookie because I went by someone making a left turn in a turn lane while enroute to a shooting at a fast food place. Lt. said I should have waited till they turned, stopped, or moved over before I went on by them in the through lane.

Funny how when my school lost a ball game, we didnt resort to shooting over it. My how times change

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We now have our in car video required to be running on any code response. I can imagine how entertaining some of my more animated commentary must be for the boss reviewing the footage.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    We now have our in car video required to be running on any code response. I can imagine how entertaining some of my more animated commentary must be for the boss reviewing the footage.
    Countybear rants!

N2Fowl is offline Hey I'm a breast man!!!
    Verified LEO
    It's beyond me why people slam on their brakes when you get behind them in the left lane with my lights and sirens on.

I think a lot of people think they're getting pulled over and freak out.

When I hear sirens I get the HELL OUT OF THE WAY AS QUICK AS I CAN. People amaze me.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    In Florida it seemed to take an act of God to get someone to move the heck out of the way. Since I moved to the great state of Washington...I have noticed at least where I am..these people move the hell out of the way! I think in the year I have been here I have had to flip the whoop whoop on to get them to move...beautiful!
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Thats because around here the people are so damn old, they dont hear you coming. No matter, with our non pursuit policy, they dont pull over anyways...
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class
    get over so they pass and hall ass behind them to get all the green lights?

zhebertipso is offline Rookie
    This happened to me tonight and the thing that got people's attention the quickest wasn't my light bar or me siren but flashing my brights once i had been behind them..

zhebertipso is offline Rookie
    On 99.9% of my calls I will attempt to run silent.Since most are on rural highways,this generally isnt a problem,few calls to the office(POed "good citizens"),a check of CAD and good to go.

BUT,this Friday,I am rolling to accident with injury.To get there I first need to negotiate partially through town,going balls to the walls code 3,turn onto a narrow street that I have to be on for 1 freakin block as it is a zig zag type thing(think half a swastika _l ),anyway I have a ford ranger in front of me,and bless his hawt he is trying to get over,at the same time a dumbass is backing out of her driveway in a big SUV.Does she pull back in??? NO!!,does she hurry and finish executing her maneuver???NO!!,she STOPS!!with her vehicle now in a classic"roadblock"and,wait for it,----ya ready?????,you will swear I am lying-------,SHE EXITS THE VEHICLE TO APPROACH ME,thankfully(for her) the Ranger pulled into the driveway she just backed out of and I get by,as I pass I see her,and Yep,no bout adout it,blond as the day is long.
    now thats a good one

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    One of my peeves is when the vehicle in front of you pulls over to the side of the road but continues driving at the same highway speed on the shoulder.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I use my PA for those people.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    you people must work in lawless outlands. Around here, everyone always moves out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    you people must work in lawless outlands. Around here, everyone always moves out of the way.
    What, do you have close air support blasting them out of the way if they don't?!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information