Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

First impressions

Does the way an officer looks alter your impression of them? I don't mean if they are good looking or as ugly as a stump, I'm talking about how they appear to you when you first see them. Do you notice , or is appearance irrelevent?
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Appearance is irrelevant. If there's something unusual about an officer's appearance, such as a beard, tattoo, or unusual hair or clothing, I assume it's due to some regulation, tactic, tradition, religion, or subculture I may not know about but should respect, both out of respect for law enforcement and out of respect for diversity in general. It's what's inside that counts.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not a big fan of non-verbal communication are you Jen?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Well honestly, yes. For example, the two police officers currently on biggest loser (My wife watches, don't judge lol) would not inspire much confidence in me that they could perform duties proficiently. I honestly try not to judge much, but a super morbidly obese officer would not inspire confidence. Something else, lets say, five oclock shadow or a shabby looking uniform would likely give me the end of shift impression, and having worked shift, wouldn't conjour the same images of incompetence.

Someone who appears to take pride in their self and their job instills an image of confidence as well. In personal appearence, someone who is "squared away" is going to for the majority of people appear to be more professional.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Not a big fan of non-verbal communication are you Jen?
    Not when it comes to people's appearances.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Appearance is irrelevant, whether the officer is in uniform or not (although for some reason I always notice really shiny shoes).

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Well honestly, yes. For example, the two police officers currently on biggest loser (My wife watches, don't judge lol) would not inspire much confidence in me that they could perform duties proficiently. I honestly try not to judge much, but a super morbidly obese officer would not inspire confidence. Something else, lets say, five oclock shadow or a shabby looking uniform would likely give me the end of shift impression, and having worked shift, wouldn't conjour the same images of incompetence.

Someone who appears to take pride in their self and their job instills an image of confidence as well. In personal appearence, someone who is "squared away" is going to for the majority of people appear to be more professional.
    Couldn't agree with you more. If a Police Officer is morbidly obese my thoughts are: How can they perform their job to the fullest? How can the chase down a bad guy on foot? How can they protect me and my community?

At the same time though, I will always respect the badge.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I would rather that they look a little bit sloppy and fat so I can relate to them and maybe just get a warning...

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Appearance is irrelevant, whether the officer is in uniform or not (although for some reason I always notice really shiny shoes).

Me too, and so do some of my most frequent customers. Good cops take pride in knowing what someone is going to do before they do it. This has been discussed at length on the verified side with many more specifics, in case any lurkers are curious.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My agency is really anal retentive about appearance. I was taking an arrestee into jail and the CO's don't have any uniform standards. The arrestee says, "You guys look much more professional than they do." Some drunk DUI gets it.

If you go to work looking like a bag of smashed assholes, people will notice. I do think it will affect how people interact with you too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Appearance is irrelevant.
    What if I could prove to you that an officer's appearance made the difference in a decision by an offender to attack them or not?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    My agency is really anal retentive about appearance. I was taking an arrestee into jail and the CO's don't have any uniform standards. The arrestee says, "You guys look much more professional than they do." Some drunk DUI gets it.

If you go to work looking like a bag of smashed assholes, people will notice. I do think it will affect how people interact with you too.
    True, but fighting in your dress uniform is a bit over the top.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I was going to say no, but I think on some level overall appearance does have an effect on us.

If their uniform is messy I tend to assume they've been dealing with some difficult call.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    What if I could prove to you that an officer's appearance made the difference in a decision by an offender to attack them or not?
    I believe that.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    That's between the officer and the offender; it still wouldn't affect how I personally perceive officers' appearances. I'd like to think that I'm less prejudiced and less likely to attack officers than most offenders, regardless of what the officers look like. Some offenders are also more likely to attack an officer because of the officer's size, gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, but I wouldn't let that affect my impression of the officer either.

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    My 2p worth...

I'm not referring here to turnout after a 2 mile chase across a ploughed field, more general appearance..

Smart appearance = switched on and attentive to detail

Scruffy appearance = laissez faire attitude

It's all about professional pride if you ask me.

I agree with Maclean regarding how offenders perceive Officers.
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I tend to agree wholeheartedly with that statement!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    From what I've read and have been taught, there are actually instances in which criminals have stated that they did or did not fight an officer because of whether or not he looked professional. Also, a lot of it has to do with how you talk to people. I don't become an asshole until it's neccessary.

MeUGENe is offline Rookie
    i gotta say yes on this one.

but its the same way i judge anybody else in public.

the way they walk, facial expression, the first thing they say, and their tone of voice.

Bigdaddy1 is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I know what you mean, I always laugh at tiny shoes..................
    oh wait, you said shin(n)y.

Yes I do look at cops differently depending on how they look. I was in court the other day and one bailiff looked like he needed a freight elevator to get up the next level. I didn't know you could get a uniform that big. On the flip side I have seen cops that are armature body builders, and my assumption is they are azzholes (not because they're cops, but body builders). There was also this one guy I knew from high school, well he was a dork then so....
    What part of "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information