Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Why is it so hard?

Why is it so hard for people to comprehend that if a marked police car is sitting in a lane with its lights on, then you probably can't go that way?? Right now I'm sitting on a traffic post for a basketball game. My lights are on and there is a 4' x 5' sign that says "road closed" and I still have people trying to come down this road!! I hope this is not a foreshadowing of what's to come during Mardi Gras.

Definition of Mardi Gras- Largest collection of idiots anywhere on the planet.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Maybe they think you're there for decorative purposes....

Verified LEO
    You know, that's what I keep saying.

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Remember the New Orleans version of Mardi Gras. 2 blocks up and take a left.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Well, it comes down to that most common of problems. A failure to communicate.

The failure isn't with you and the "Road Closed" sign. That's clear enough. It could be anyway. The failure is "Road Closed" has been defined as "Who Knows?" by those who came before you. I would suggest the main culprit here is the Department of Roads who uses "Road Closed" signs to mean anything from "Enjoy The Newly Completed Road With Decorative Machinery Along The Way" to "We Forgot To Take Down This Sign" to "Slow Down A Bit, Still Working On It" to "Beware All Ye Who Enter, There Be No Road". Their inexact use of the language causes confusion.

Sure, maybe their "Road Closed" sign should mean the road is closed too. But it doesn't. It could, but there would be an extra expense in the more detailed signage. (Probably not my contributions)

What would be the best approach to correcting this failure? We have fiscal and safety considerations both in play here.

*Edit : Nevermind.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Why is it so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by McCrackhd View Post
    .....largest collection of idiots anywhere on the planet.....
    I hate to say this, but you don't have the corner on the market on idiots. We have plenty all over, trust me on this!

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post

The failure isn't with you and the "Road Closed" sign. That's clear enough. It could be anyway. The failure is "Road Closed" has been defined as "Who Knows?" by those who came before you. I would suggest the main culprit here is the Department of Roads who uses "Road Closed" signs to mean anything from "Enjoy The Newly Completed Road With Decorative Machinery Along The Way" to "We Forgot To Take Down This Sign" to "Slow Down A Bit, Still Working On It" to "Beware All Ye Who Enter, There Be No Road". Their inexact use of the language causes confusion.

Sure, maybe their "Road Closed" sign should mean the road is closed too. But it doesn't. It could, but there would be an extra expense in the more detailed signage. (Probably not my contributions)

What would be the best approach to correcting this failure? We have fiscal and safety considerations both in play here.
    ...Perfect.....

As they squeeeezzzee by that lil space left on the shoulder and look at you trying to communicate with you that this marked car lit up and that sign...can't possibly apply to them....its for other people...
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

srab is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Hey, man we have the same concern. 3 squads on a high risk stop last week, and people just have to put themselves in front of a barrel to get around. I thought it was just because it's so darn cold, and people think slower. We've been hoping to come down and work your Mardi Gras with the horses for years... just can't get it together.
    "The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons"
    Russian military doctrine

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
    - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

www.gruntsbbq.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    ...Perfect.....

As they squeeeezzzee by that lil space left on the shoulder and look at you trying to communicate with you that this marked car lit up and that sign...can't possibly apply to them....its for other people...

Especially when they live "right down there"....which takes on a whole new translation in and of itself. It can mean anything from, "I'm a liar and don't want to be troubled" to "3 miles down, and I'm just being nosey"
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    ...Perfect.....

And space on the shoulder as they drive through requires only one thing...........sign here!!!!!!
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    sign here!!!!!!
    Finally a "sign" they can't ignore....

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post

*Edit : Nevermind.
    I think this is it! If the road closed signs don't go all the way across the road then there must be a way to get through, to which they are entitled.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    We shut down roads every summer for a weekend for the air show. It's amazing to me the amount of people who get really pissy about not being able to get down a certain road. I've even heard "I don't know how to get to my house if I can't go down this road". Really? Then maybe you should mapquest it some day. They think if they sit their long enough and point their finger in that direction, somehow magic will happen and my car will disappear. What really gets me is that we do this EVERY year and people *still* can't manage to get the concept.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    But that's the only way they know to go home! Sure, there are multiple parallel roads if they just go down a block or two... and a couple are even better routes... but that road you were inconsiderate enough to block is THEIR way home!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I run into the same problem. Barracaded road with sign "Road Closed", Police car with all kinds of lights aflashin and here comes the mob. I got to go this way because I have a pass or they flash their Handicap Card thinking its a pass to anywhere. I tell them, right or left and when they ask "why" iI say "because" and turn away. Mind you, this is normally right when the event starts or has already started.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I hate to say this, but you don't have the corner on the market on idiots. We have plenty all over, trust me on this!
    I won't argue with you on that!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by srab View Post
    Hey, man we have the same concern. 3 squads on a high risk stop last week, and people just have to put themselves in front of a barrel to get around. I thought it was just because it's so darn cold, and people think slower. We've been hoping to come down and work your Mardi Gras with the horses for years... just can't get it together.
    We get a lot of guys from MI, WI, and IN-mostly motorcycle cops. Is it your dept that's the problem? Sgt. Carr runs our mounted unit. Don't know if you've talked to him, yet.

RMFT-Bama fans get it

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I have to partially agree with Odd,AND,in so doing be a sort of devils advocate.

Last night coming home from the coast I saw a sign that said" one lane road ahead",a few feet later,"work area ahead",few feet after that "Fines larger in work areas".WELL ,60 miles later,no workers,no, one lane road,no signs of any construction.Wouldn't be so bad but same signs were there 2 weeks ago,this is a busy 4 lane hiway,so they cant just be "forgotten",they are "neglected",whats more ,people are going to get complacent and if work does start,someone may be hurt,or pull up to a unit and ask"Is the road one lane ahead?"

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Im strangely fascinated blocking a roadway. Idiots amuse me. I used to get upset at people trying to get around my roadblock. Now I write them tickets, not like I can't block the road and write them. Most pissed off people to ever get a ticket. I honestly don't think a ticket for any charge pisses people off more than a ticket for going around a roadblock. If I have to write a ticket, I take a picture of the roadblock to bring to court. I love showing the judge exactly what the moron tried to get around.

I've also thrown a maglite through a passenger window, and dented a quarterpanel of a car with a traffic cone. I was "asked" to stop throwing heavy objects at cars, so now whenever Im out directing traffic, I keep one of my spare squad keys in my hand to throw at cars. Usually though, I don't even bother standing outside my car. If I block the road, I F'n BLOCK the road. Last night, I had to block a 4 lane road, 2 in each direction. I put my car across two lanes, then found I didn't have any cones in my car (gotta love dayshift), so I borrowed a half dozen nearby construction barrels, put them side by side across the other two lanes. No mistaking, or getting around, that one. Then, when the idiots would pull up to the barrels all confused, I'd just sit in my car and let them figure it out for themselves.

I love the ones who have lived there for 20 years and know one way home, and I love the idiots who pull right up to the roadblock, then sit there for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to manage the situation.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Last night, I had to block a 4 lane road, 2 in each direction. I put my car across two lanes, then found I didn't have any cones in my car (gotta love dayshift), so I borrowed a half dozen nearby construction barrels, put them side by side across the other two lanes. No mistaking, or getting around, that one. Then, when the idiots would pull up to the barrels all confused, I'd just sit in my car and let them figure it out for themselves.

I love the ones who have lived there for 20 years and know one way home, and I love the idiots who pull right up to the roadblock, then sit there for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to manage the situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information