Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Police give lessons in how they use force

Boston police, reeling from a YouTube video last fall that showed several officers forcefully subduing a 16-year-old boy, are reaching out to community leaders, elected officials, and the news media in an effort to persuade the public that officers have received careful training and are taught strict guidelines on when to use force.
    “I think it’s time we remove the mystery around police use of force,’’ Commissioner Edward F. Davis said Thursday night at the Boston Police Academy in Hyde Park, where officials invited several reporters, religious figures, and leaders of the Boston branch of the NAACP to meet with police instructors.
    For nearly four hours, about half a dozen uniformed instructors lectured on the guidelines, showed footage of arrests, and traded blows in mock confrontations to show how they respond to violent suspects.

Reeling from video, Boston police offer insight on use of force - The Boston Globe

Would you attend such an event? Would a glimpse into the rough side of police work show the need for the use of force?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    Sometimes, I think MORE use of force is needed.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The police use force. Do not fight them. Mystery solved.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Just hearing the officers talk about how they take down a suspect is enough for me. In my mind, whatever it takes to effect a safe arrest for the officer.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    The police use force. Do not fight them. Mystery solved.
    Explained in simple terms, great mysteries can be!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What 's the big deal ? I 've been giving use of force lessons to the members of the public ,one resistant suspect at a time , for years.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    OK, I'll be contrarian.

I think this is an oustanding idea. I invite city council members, guild lawyers, mayors, and anyone who works for the city to come watch my firearms training.

At the end of the month, I will be running many of them through the Laser Shot system I was just trained on.

As a lethal force/firearms/tactics instructor, I find it is helpful to share any and all knowledge I can to prevent the following sorts of problems:

1. "You can't possibly need guns, I was in the Army and use the same pistol for years."

2. "Why didn't you shoot him in the leg?"

3. "Why didn't he use a Taser?"

4. "Why should police officers have rifles like soldiers?"

And on, and on, and on. In addition to the pure joy I experience when I teach, the dividend received in good will and mutual understanding has been priceless.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Why rifles? See L.A. Shootout.
    Why leg? It will not stop a determined attacker
    Tasers against guns is dangerous.
    Ad Nauseum

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Would I attend? Maybe, but four hours is pretty long, is there an intermission? Do I prefer the public learns about the necessity and reality of use of force from their local law enforcement rather than from TV or the internet? Absolutely.

I have a basic grasp of the use of overwhelming force being beneficial to all parties in a conflict as a way to shorten and reduce injuries in engagement. (Not a warrior, don't claim to be one) That's a heck of a hard sell though to people who know they'll only ever be losing one of these engagements - and since they're know they're not terribly forceful people, surely it need not be that overwhelming. Why someone could get hurt! Not sure a four hour session will do it, but it's a start.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I wouldn't attend because I do have an understanding of the need for use of force. However, I do think that it's a good idea.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maclean makes very valid points. I applaud (and rep) him.

My response was terse, but fallaciously based upon something that I realize is seemingly in very short supply: common sense. I know better than to assume, yet I still at times do so.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thank you, sir.

I understood where you were coming from, it just reminded me of some of the smiles I've generated on what would otherwise be "anti-police" types.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I read an article several years ago where the some scientists put average people in shoot/don't shoot scenarios on FATS (Firearms Training Simulator). It turned out very enlightening to the citizens to learn how many times they shot people that should not have been shot, and got "killed" when they should have shot. It opened a lot of eyes as to how little time you have and how easy it is to make a mistake. They were supposed to publish the results for officers accused of using excessive force.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Traffic Goddess is offline soon to be "Law Goddess"
    South-Central PA or somehere on the Chesapeake Bay aboard our boat!
    This is one reason why I love the Calibre Press Street Survival course. They invite any elected official to attend for free. That way, they get to see some of the grittiest situations that police officers face. If you have not attended this seminar and you are a LEO, I urge you to do so. I paid for the course, myself, and it was worth every penny. There is even a seminar on the third day of the course for your spouse or significant other. It helps them to understand what you go through and how to be supportive.

nick122590 is offline Officer First Class
    do exactly what the police say and they wont need to use force. i think they should be showing people how to listen and fallow orders instead

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Some departments host a Citizen's Academy that give an inside look on how police departments function and why they do what they do. I attended APD's Citizen Academy several years ago. It was a great experience. I recommend it to anyone (obviously, LEO's go through your real academy).
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Thread Information