Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Question Teen Driver Awareness

For this upcoming Prom Season some officers and I that work a lot of traffic overtime also have to do some teen driver awareness classes at local schools. I'm looking for some good effective/not boring videos to present. I would also like some input from cops and civilians on what you think should be covered. As important as what is covered will be how it is presented. Let the brainstorming begin.

Thanks
    Five-0

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    set up a console racing style game. Let them try driving with the beer goggles on used for DARE. You could do it via a projector screen style or big screen TV. Maybe do a comparison, before the goggles, then after. Kids would probly respond better to games...seeing as thats their life now adays. They will probably laugh when they see their classmates crash... but then stop them and show them graphic crash photos, maybe local news articles, and tell them that this isn't a game. You don't get another life.

Maybe ask around, someone may even have a steering wheel controler...like a Nintendo wii controller, mario cart game for example.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson63 View Post
    set up a console racing style game. Let them try driving with the beer goggles on used for DARE. You could do it via a projector screen style or big screen TV. Maybe do a comparison, before the goggles, then after. Kids would probly respond better to games...seeing as thats their life now adays. They will probably laugh when they see their classmates crash... but then stop them and show them graphic crash photos, maybe local news articles, and tell them that this isn't a game. You don't get another life.

Maybe ask around, someone may even have a steering wheel controler...like a Nintendo wii controller, mario cart game for example.
    This^, but we used a golf cart and set up cones.

We added a twist the last time we did the program, we had the students write down their best friends name at the beginning, while one was doing the presentation the other officer/help taped the names to the bottom of the cones...

Very sobering experience when they crash and "kill" a friend.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Our SROs used to do a mock accident at the school in the week or so before prom. Complete with wrecked cars, ambulance, fire (with extrication), and air ambulance. They made it like a "play" complete with a fatality. Last couple of years they have just parked a crashed car at the entrance to the high school with an anti-drunk driving sign in front of it.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    we did a mock crash and we gored people up and used fire and ems and cornor and it realy hits home, we also have guest speakersof those who lost loved ones to owi, if u need help shoot me a pm
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I know there have been some good texting while drivign and speeding videos posted on here. If someone could find those and post them here I would appreciate it. I'm working a side job right now.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    possibly NSFW:

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The Transport Accident Commission of Victoria doesn't pull punches with their PSAs either - and while teens know they're indestructible it may just get through that others aren't.

Their channel has over a hundred videos covering many subjects : TACVictoria's Channel - YouTube

Another of theirs I like

There's always Jacqueline Saburido to get their attention when talking of the harm to others.

AT&T's 10 minute texting documentary from a couple years ago holds up.

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Five-O, One of the local high schools here has a mock DWI crash involving the Police/Fire Dept/EMS that the kids seemed to react well to. It's done annually, a week before prom. Are you a one man presentation? If videos and a power point are what you're limited to then that would be a lot different.

In another county the DA gives presentations to high school students. The thing I liked about it was that it was not just a DWI presentation. A lot of kids roll their eyes because they know that DWI is bad and they don't think it could happen to them. There were several cases that were discussed involving fatal collisions with teenaged drivers. The cases were all local, so the kids could relate to the area, and they may have known or heard of the victims. These cases included: using a cell phone/texting while driving, speeding, racing, DWI and DWAI-Drugs. If I remember correctly, one of the kids who was speeding was only going 40 mph in a parking lot and hit a dumpster. I've encountered a number of kids who think if you're not going 90+ you're not speeding. It is a lot more sobering when the kids hear that doing something non-criminal, or something they may do often, can result in someone dying and/or the driver being arrested. Perhaps you can use local incidents.

Jenna, are you sure that crash was caused by texting and not that the cars were all driving on the wrong side of the street to begin with?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post

Jenna, are you sure that crash was caused by texting and not that the cars were all driving on the wrong side of the street to begin with?
    Trojan 42 might have an answer for that....

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I can only echo a couple things that were already brought up.

I watched mock crashes in high school, and participated in them in a L.E. roll and a fire roll. They seem incredibly effective. Every one I've participated in there were kids throughout the audience crying and hugging each other. The cars and victims are covered with tarps before the audience ever gets outside, and the main players (victims and LE/fire) are mic'ed up. We normally use two vehicles. Each one has a minimum of 4 kids in them. Normally one or two fatals, one or two critical, and the rest walking wounded. One driver is intoxicated.

Before they pull the tarps and audio recording plays of kids in each vehicle talking, laughing, enjoying themselves, etc. The kids in one of the cars are drinking, bottles are clinking, etc. They pull the tarps and set off a smoke bomb, and the kids scream, cry, and try to wake up their dead friends. One kid calls 911 (mic'ed) and another screams at and pushes the drunk. Cops get there and check on the fatals and determine they're dead. Then they grab the drunk driver and roll with it. EMS arrives, calls the dead students and moves onto critical. Fire arrives and extricates the critical patients. LE arrests the drunk and discusses (mic'ed up) the charges (criminal vehicular homicide). The suspect is then driven away, handcuffed in the back of the squad. Fire or EMS covers the dead kids with sheets. Helicopter arrives and one of the criticals gets put in it. The coach (hearse) arrives and collects the dead kids (they are put in body bags and put in the back of the hearse...those roles are normally reserved for the bravest kids).

When the victims are in the hearses/ambulances, and the suspect is gone, the actors/LE/Fire/EMS stand in front of the vehicles with solemn looks on their faces while one of the cops (out of sight) over the speakers makes a notification to the fatalities family. Even the toughest kids in the audience normally wipe away a tear when that happens.

It ends when someone from the school reads the results of the accident. So and so died and left behind these people, so and so needed reconstructive surgery and weekly rehab for 2 yrs, this kid has started going to therapy and will continue to do so for the next 5 years, so and so was sentenced to 8 years in state prison, etc.

We use the kids in a group at the high school called "H.O.P.E." It stands for Helping Our Peers Expand. We also combine the private and public high schools in the city for the event to reach a larger crowd.

Sorry for making it so long, because I'm sure you already know what a mock crash is. But this is what we do and it works really, really well. The event is only open to the senior class.

While the mock crash is going on, the junior class is taken to the auditorium to listen to the father of a girl who was killed in a crash due to a lack of seat belt use. I was the first one on scene for his daughters crash. She was 16. He's used her death as an opportunity to reach out to the entire community, specifically the teen/20's community to promote seat belt use, and has done many speaking engagements. He's a phenomenal speaker and I shed a tear every time I listen to him.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Here is shortly after my sgt and I arrived, checking on one of the fatal victims. The fire dept is just arriving on scene. They're truck is parked below the camera out of sight.

I'm on the left investigating the DWI/homicide. The officer on the right is directing fire/ems to the victims.

No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm embarrassed I don't have better ideas, and I was pretty sure everyone knew about what I posted already - so what? Some great process concepts have been shared here; the demonstrations, the driving tests, (the cones with names is a chilling idea, great). Even if it seems like "oh, everyone has seen this"; it might be a new approach somewhere else.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I thank everyone for their input. This is new on me and my agency. We always do the bitz patrols and DUI checkpoints. The class style stuff is new on us. You are exactly right Odd, some of this stuff is new animal for some of us. If you or anyone else has threads similar feel free to post a link to revive good older threads. Thanks again.

OzyTony is offline Rookie
    Not sure if alcohol is an issue for your teenagers, but I have seen teenagers here in Australia come away with a different outlook after the school did some driver education with a twist. They wore goggles that blurred their vision. I googled just now & found this in the US -

Drunk Busters Online Store

Just another useful tool if alcohol/drugs is a concern.

As for theTAC adds, they have been going for at least a decade, they have had to re-invent themselves often to bring a new message to the masses.

=]

Thread Information