• 1 Post By McCrackhd
  • 1 Post By KaiGywer
  • 1 Post By Jks9199

Thread: THE FORGOTTEN ONES

DILLON 45 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

THE FORGOTTEN ONES

I would like to ask the public this question:

Cops, especially line officers deal with many types of calls, from service calls to the very serious, including the most
    dreaded, a spouse becomes a widower.
    You and your partner stop a car with a expired plate, it's a spring day sun shining, the next thing your'e doing is trying
    to stuff back the brains in your partners head while he dies in your lap.

Ok you get the gist, it's like going to war everyday when you put on that uniform and badge, you become public target # 1
    hey it comes with the job right?.
    Speaking of war we have our veterans risking their lives in countries far from home, and some don't make it home.
    A lot of cops were veterans before putting on the badge and we all appreciate their service to our country, they
    certainly deserve it. We make a point to provide for our veterans with many programs designed for this purpose.

Now let me ask about the cop who go's to war everyday in this country, what happens to him or her
    when they are cut down ? What programs are out their for the cop? not to many. The ones that are killed may
    leave a family with children, who now grows up minus a father or mother.
    And than we have the cop who is disabled for life, some confined to a wheel chair.

We need to make sure they are not forgotten and have enough to live on, and this can only be done with private groups
    that get legislation passed so these cops can afford the medicine and treatment they need.
    People have no idea how many cops are out there suffering because they can't afford basic medical care, our veterans
    get this care, WHY IS IT THE SAME COPS THAT GAVE THEMSELVES TO PROTECT US DON'T ?.

This is a travesty and should not be tolerated, I have seen first hand the way these men and woman suffer because
    they are FORGOTTEN by the public. They should have recourse the same as a veteran, instead they are forgotten
    and pushed away.

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

Dillon45
    McCrackhd likes this.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    So, you think police officers should have socialized medicine? What about everyone else?
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

DILLON 45 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    So, you think police officers should have socialized medicine? What about everyone else?
    I guess you missed the point, does veterans have socialized medicine ? I'm speaking of disabled cops, same as they have for veterans, cops
    have a bit of a different job than the average person. So my answer to you is NO

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Workers comp and disability insurance generally do a decent job taking care of on duty injuries. I think what military veterans and law enforcement need is better mental health treatment. We need better programs to help all of us. We do annual equipment qualifications and training and physical exams, yet nobody gets any mental health checkups. The fear of problems making it back to the job and interfering with the career as well as the stigma and expectation to "suck it up" make this a difficult proposition. The fact that suicide claims more of our own than other on duty related deaths should be stark reminder that what we're doing now isn't working.
    lewisipso, Odd and IMGreat101 like this.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Really?? That's what you got from the post? Rhino, please tell me you said that in jest.
    Last edited by McCrackhd; 05-20-13 at 12:58 PM. Reason: clarification
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I think compared to what veterans get for disabilities, cops don't get much in the way of disability benefits. My friend who was hit with an ied in the Stan has no physical impairment, but did suffer a brain injury. Other than some PTSD, there is nothing mentally wrong with him and he is fully capable of working. However, he doesn't need to because the government pays him more than he would be making for pretty much any job he could get without a college degree. Also, his daughter will get a free education paid for by the government and she never has to worry about health insurance because that's paid for, too.

As far as I know, there are no such programs for cops, at least not here.
    DILLON 45 likes this.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Here in ND, any child of a ND cop or firefighter killed in the line of duty will get free tuition at a state university.

http://www.nationalcops.org/benefits/ndakota.pdf
    McCrackhd likes this.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Here in ND, any child of a ND cop or firefighter killed in the line of duty will get free tuition at a state university.

http://www.nationalcops.org/benefits/ndakota.pdf
    I know that at both the state and federal level, there tends to be a fair amount of money and services (like I believe their kids get free tuition at Virginia state colleges/universities) available for those killed in the line of duty.

But I do agree that there's a huge shortfall in services for those injured, and especially retired due to disability. I wouldn't qualify for any more than the non-existent retiree medical program from my employer, for example. Yes, the community is often very supportive, especially during the first year, for serious and press worthy injuries. Otherwise... it's "just" workman's comp.
    DILLON 45 likes this.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information