Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Talking Retiring Colonel eats 36-year-old pound cake he saved from his service in Vietnam

Serving a 36-year-old government-issue cake at an Army retirement ceremony sounds like a classic bureaucratic mistake, but there was no mistake about it. Retiring Army Col. Henry Moak served it up himself -- at his own ceremony.
    Moak had saved the cake since 1973, when he got it while serving in Vietnam, and had long-standing plans to open it upon his retirement.
    Pound cake served in a can was standard fare in military C rations back then. Moak said it was his favorite, and he could not get enough of it.
    "I would eat it any chance I could get, but not all of the meals came with pound cake," he said before opening it.
    In front of friends and family who attended his retirement ceremony Friday at the Pentagon, Moak eagerly opened the can.
    Answering the question of whether the anticipation was the same now as back then, Moak said, "Yes, even more!"
    "I won't eat it if it's black and moldy," he told onlookers.
    "You can hear the pop of the air coming out," he said referring to the vacuum seal on the can.
    To most people's surprise, the opened can revealed a still-edible yellow cake. The ceremonial sword used to cut Moak's real retirement cake was also used to dig into the can and cut out the cake.
    Moak took a bite and put up his thumb, "It's good, it's still kind of moist," he declared.

Retiring Army Col. Henry Moak uses a vintage P-38 to break the seal on government cake saved since 1973.

Soldier's old cake never dies, it just gets eaten - CNN.com

From Mike Mount CNN
    Senior Pentagon Producer July 24, 2009

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Enjoy your retirement , Colonel.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Iron Head is offline Smooth talking, silver tongued SheepDog.
    Verified LEO
    Enjoy your retirement , Colonel. It's hard to believe it would be good after all those years.
    "An Unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Jeff Cooper"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to vist violence on those who would do us harm"
    George Orwell
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hey Iron Head. Didn't you eat those when you were in Nam?

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Wow, isnt a twinkie made of the same material? I heard those last forever too
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    He has more guts than me.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information