Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Brain scans enable scientists to detect PTSD in veterans with 90% accuracy

Post-traumatic stress is estimated to afflict more than 300,000 veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, but until now, it's been labeled a "soft disorder" -- one without an objective biological path to diagnosis. That may have changed this week, after researchers at the University of Minnesota and the Minneapolis VA Medical Center announced they'd found a distinct pattern of brain activity among PTSD sufferers.
    The team used magnetoencephalography (MEG), a brain imaging method that measures how the brain processes information.
    They scanned the brains of 74 U.S. veterans with PTSD, and 250 civilians without the disorder, and say that by spotting specific brain biomarkers, they managed to accurately diagnose PTSD sufferers with 90 percent accuracy.
    MEG machines are a fast, sensitive and accurate way to measure electrical activity in the brain.
    Whereas CT scans and MRIs record brain signals every few seconds, MEGs can do it by the millisecond, catching biomarkers and brain activity that the other tests inevitably miss.
    The study could be a breakthrough for the military, which has been scrambling to address a surge in post-traumatic symptoms among newly returning vets. Right now, troops are evaluated by mental health experts, but diagnosis is a crapshoot: Symptoms can take years to show up, and they vary from person to person, even among those exposed to the same traumas.
    More here: Scientists say scanner can detect PTSD in veterans - CNN.com

CopsRCool302 Guest
    I have the very same thing Jenna, cept its not from a war, I will tell you this, Flash backs are so damn real, its like your back in the past, you see and hear things. its a childhood trama

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CopsRCool302 View Post
    I have the very same thing Jenna, cept its not from a war, I will tell you this, Flash backs are so damn real, its like your back in the past, you see and hear things. its a childhood trama
    I hope you find peace.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I wonder how long it will take to get this to VA Hospitals.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What are they going to do now?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    I wonder how long it will take to get this to VA Hospitals.
    Only 20-30 years after it it becomes obsolete.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Thread Information