Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...

Question, and wanted---

OK, so when I get my tax return, I am going to purchase a handgun. I will be using it for home protection, and possibly applying for a concealed carry permit. Any suggestions, random or narrow? I am thinking 9mm or .40. Glock and Sig are the top of my list, although I am not 100% sure obviously. Aso, anyone have something they want to get rid of?

Thanks guys, and girls.
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    OK, so when I get my tax return, I am going to purchase a handgun. I will be using it for home protection, and possibly applying for a concealed carry permit. Any suggestions, random or narrow? I am thinking 9mm or .40. Glock and Sig are the top of my list, although I am not 100% sure obviously. Aso, anyone have something they want to get rid of?

Thanks guys, and girls.
    i like the .40 personally...i think its the best combo of 9mm and .45. Glock you can't go wrong with (again, imo).

you're gonna get 20 responses to this thread, with 18 different answers.

but if you want a Beretta 92F, you might be able to talk me out of mine

eta: whatever you decide on, spend some $$ on shooting them all first.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    i like the .40 personally...i think its the best combo of 9mm and .45. Glock you can't go wrong with (again, imo).

you're gonna get 20 responses to this thread, with 18 different answers.

but if you want a Beretta 92F, you might be able to talk me out of mine

eta: whatever you decide on, spend some $$ on shooting them all first.
    Funny you mention the Beretta, thats the first handgun I ever fired. WAY back in the day....LOL...PM me if you are serious, maybe we can do bizness...LOL

either way, thanks for the advice. i see hours at H&H gunrange in my future...
    500 fights, that's the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 street fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that's what you are.

ryan36002 is offline Senior Officer
    Verified LEO
    In my opinion:

The best thing you can do is test as many models as you can get you hands on before committing to a brand or caliber. Find one you can comfortably use efficiently. How you intend to carry the weapon concealed should also be a key factor.

Last year I purchased a sub-compact for concealed carry. I based my decision on brand and caliber. I have carried the thing in public 3 times in 8 months because I failed to consider available carry options. The thing is a brick and there are about 5 holsters on the market for my specific model.

Go with what suits you based on your skill and needs. What works for me is not necessarily going to work for you.
    "You will learn more with your ears than you will your mouth!"

JAYBIRD33081 is offline CAT: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    i have a glock 9mm subcompact that is great for carry but i wish i woulda got the model 27 in .40 or a berreta 96 in 40 that gun has never failed me once and you can feed anything thought it.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    If it is strictly for home protection, get a short barreled 12 guage and use a heavy birdshot load. Nothing does it like a guage and the birdshot will stay inside the room you fire it in so you won't be smoking members of your family or your neighbors.

Otherwise, any good handgun will do.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Gee Doc...looks like we have the same game plan. I am also waiting for my tax return to buy my off duty/back-up gun. At work we carry the Sig226 and I couldn't conceal that thing off duty if I tried. Darn thing is HUGE. I looked at the compact Sigs and cried...they are almost $1000. I really don't want to spend that much that is for sure. So, I have been web-surfing all over the place looking. Think this weekend I might go to our local gun store and see what they have...at least that way I can see how they fit in my long elegant piano hands (need extensions for the compacts...sad but true).

Good luck. If you find a good place to purchase, let me know...so I can go window shop waiting for my money.

Who would ever guess I would grow up to like guns and clothes. LOL
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wolven, you can pick up a compact Sig through an LEO distributor for a lot less than retail.

You should NEVER be buying retail.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Wolven, you can pick up a compact Sig through an LEO distributor for a lot less than retail.

You should NEVER be buying retail.
    I actually just found one in town who has Sig and Glock with LEO discount. MUCH better price! I love my 226 but the smaller Sigs are a little big to carry on my ankle off duty. I held the Sig 380s but I would like more power and not sure sure how they feel in my hand. I looked at a Glock 27 which I like a lot...the extension on the magazine helps it fit into my hand nice and snug..goodie. I also looked at a Taurus subcompact .40...price is nice but I am not too familiar with the brand so...????.

Anyway..thanks for the heads up...much appreciated.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If it is a stocking dealer, that isn't what I mean.

PM inbound.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Whitepaw is offline Student of Life
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Check out the new Smith and Wesson M&P. 9mm, 40 cal, 45. All come in full size or compact models. The 45C is new this year, not yet on the market but will be soon. These weapons have the adjustable back strap so it can be tailored to the individual. I'm getting "ready" to buy a couple.

.02 cent.
    "God Bless America"

"I have no words of wisdom, therefore I listen..."

nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    You're not a man unless you are carrying a 1911!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    If you're going to carry a gun....carry a real gun...the way real men do:

Direct From Homey's Handguns

You are da man wit dis gat shoved down the front of yo pants! Let dem kno you serious by showing dem de GOLD!
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you had that shoved in your pants, I hope you're wearing suspenders!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    If you're going to carry a gun....carry a real gun...the way real men do:

Direct From Homey's Handguns

You are da man wit dis gat shoved down the front of yo pants! Let dem kno you serious by showing dem de GOLD!
    HAHA...funny. Actually my partner (work) has a gold plated gun that she calls her pimp gun...if she brings it in I'll take a picture.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I actually just found one in town who has Sig and Glock with LEO discount. MUCH better price! I love my 226 but the smaller Sigs are a little big to carry on my ankle off duty. I held the Sig 380s but I would like more power and not sure sure how they feel in my hand. I looked at a Glock 27 which I like a lot...the extension on the magazine helps it fit into my hand nice and snug..goodie. I also looked at a Taurus subcompact .40...price is nice but I am not too familiar with the brand so...????.

Anyway..thanks for the heads up...much appreciated.
    I have the Taurus Millenium .45 and have had no problems with it

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    For home defense, Mossberg makes a .410 pump that is very nice. The Glock 27 is nice but it is big. I carried one for nine years when I was in narcotics. The Sig 380's are nice, just remember it is shot placement that counts. Practice, practice, practice. Do you have children? If you do then the Mossberg is better, safer.

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    Try a Golck 19 or 23, they are midsize and are great. If you want a smaller one try the G26 9mm or G27 .40.
    A buddy loves his Springfield XD compact .40 though,similar in size to the Glocks.
    I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders-
    Ted Nugent

Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face!

Former member of Cortinian Liberation Front and the JSA MACHATOC.

The91Bravo is offline Deputy Sheriff
    I just picked up a Kimber Pro Raptor II... nice small shooter, that puts the holes where I want em.

My other off-duty wep is the HK USP 40. I little large, but with a cover shirt (I wear the 5.11 short sleeve) it hides nicely and only prints when I am bent over.

Try b4 you buy, and practice practice... If you carry one brand weapon for duty (i.e. Glock) and a different for off duty (HK) the grip angle is different and you will have to be proficient with both.

First time I got the G22 in my hand, I cleared the wep, drew it with my eyes closed, aimed where I thought I wanted to shoot, then opened my eyes. Because of the different grip angle(from my USP), I was aiming VERY high. I needed much practice to be comfortable with both different angles.

my .02... now back to lurking..

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    +1 on the Smith & Wesson M&P. I just bought the M&P .40 compact. Excellant little gun. Shoots well and eats anything I feed it. I carry it under my left arm on my vest strap for a backup and its very easy to conceal off duty with a variety of holsters.

If you buy one before 4-30-08, you get a $50.00 rebate and two free magazines from S&W. Magazines run about $41.00 a piece retail. Pretty good deal really. Sportsmans Warehouse sells them for $499.00
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

Thread Information